DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

Guest Muon N'

Not the biggest fan of the didgeridoo , but there is nothing sadder than a white dude playing one.

Sorry, saaw this on the cover of a CD in an op shop today, used to see it in Byron too, just wrong IMO :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Not the biggest fan of the didgeridoo , but there is nothing sadder than a white dude playing one.

I feel the same way about non-Asian children playing the violin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Muon N' said:

That's silly and no parallel.

Of course it's silly, it was meant to be. And I see an exact parallel.

I'm not a fan of the didge either, but if the person playing it is good, then their colour is irrelevant. Same goes for any instrument; just because your mob didn't invent it, doesn't mean that you can master it.

• Like 3

Guest Muon N'
7 minutes ago, A9X said:

Of course it's silly, it was meant to be. And I see an exact parallel.

I'm not a fan of the didge either, but if the person playing it is good, then their colour is irrelevant. Same goes for any instrument; just because your mob didn't invent it, doesn't mean that you can master it.

You see a parallel because you want to see one, not because there is one.

The direct ancestor of all European bowed instruments is the Arabic rebab (ربابة), which developed into the Byzantine lyra by the 9th century and later the European rebec.[13][14][15] The first makers of violins probably borrowed from various developments of the Byzantine lyra. These included the vielle (also known as the fidel or viuola) and the lira da braccio.[11][16] The violin in its present form emerged in early 16th-century northern Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin#History

Edited by Muon N'

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

I would attempt a 25W chip amp with a single supply rail and no PCB. Way harder than it looks. Brd. completed. 

BD069AFF-9FFD-4A20-B8D9-6658F73A66FA.jpeg

I have a mono 50W chip amp.    I have punished it,  even pushed distorted guitar through it until it switched off from overheating.  Still keeps chugging along.  Doesn't sound too bad either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Sorry, saaw this on the cover of a CD in an op shop today, used to see it in Byron too, just wrong IMO :ph34r:

If you haven't already you might like to test drive, Peter Sculthotpe's Earth Cry, with William Barton playing the didgeridoo or maybe Gondwanaland - Emu, you never know :)

• Like 1

I used all but two of these for this latest project (twin subs - see my "Gestating..." thread). All "Sutton" brand, available in Bunnings. Common spindle, except the brown one.

797715191_Holecutters.jpg.8e63a9a86a990b5e5fd5a0aa50d9b545.jpg

Don't know about cost per hole, but I'm  very glad not to have had to cut these 110 holes with a router.

The blue ones took 7 cuts/cleans each, to cut through 18 mm Baltic Birch, so were avoided where possible.

1934615354_110bracingholescut.jpg.9cf8df6bf30f37f5edbdda5a18863cd9.jpg

I found that to have a clean "exit wound" it helps to have the work clamped to a reasonably undamaged piece of scrap board underneath. All takes a while, whichever way...

• Like 4

Thanks. I'll be heading to Bunnings next week hopefully to pick some up.

I've still not been given the go ahead for doing any woodwork post surgery, so I'm setting up for it. Hopefully on the 11th. Then the surrounds construction starts.

Just now, BioBrian said:

Surgeons have no idea of the therapeutic value of speaker building. Better than Oxycodone  and Lyrica by miles.

I had a major accident at work last year that almost completely severed 2 tendons in my shoulder and has meant I could barely pick up a paperback with my left arm. Post surgery rehab is taking a long time (no fun being old) and I'm reluctant to do anything without the physio's approval. It's very political and annoying me a lot but I think we're nearly there. I wasn't even allowed to play bass, even sitting on the couch until just recently, and that's hardly exerting, but I'm now allowed back to the gym for mild workouts.

I have a huge number of projects ready, as well as speakers etc.

Oh, I'm not on any drugs but I do understand the 'hillbilly heroin'  tag from the two weeks post surgery. Yee-har!

2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Anyone ever bought and tried one of these? 

I don't know, I can't see what you're referring to..

Ha, the link just came up on second view

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1

I managed to get the Touch Screen, RPI, Piano 2.1 working but unfortunatly the Kali Reclocker I bought with the Piano 2.1 only seems to add lots of distortion, sort of the opposite outcome to the intended purpose :) I waiting for further feedback from the manuafactured on what to do about this problem.

Considering how much it cost the outcome is suprisingly good. This is the prototype that will go to the son until I make him the final version, which hopefully will have the Kali in it.

I have put a 128GB Micro SD card in the RPi so if you want to, (like I do) you can store a reasonable amount of music directly on the card that has the OS. You can attach a external drive if you like or stream Spotify etc.

Eventually the sons final setup will run his Sub as well hence the 2.1.

Working 1.jpg

Working 2.jpg

• Like 3

To Top