DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

Guest Muon N'
46 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Awesome result.  Congratulations on the upgrade  :)

For me, yes, but then, Matt.......... you know what I am like soldering and have seen me solder my hand quite well at one time xD

:thumb:

Just now, Muon N' said:

For me, yes, but then, Matt.......... you know what I am like soldering and have seen me solder my hand quite well at one time xD

:thumb:

Quite painful....  I've not grabbed the wrong end just yet though have burned myself a few times.  Your soldering still beats mine. ;)

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, MattyW said:

Quite painful....  I've not grabbed the wrong end just yet though have burned myself a few times.  Your soldering still beats mine. ;)

Bit more practice an you will be way ahead of me, I can only get worse from now ;)

6 hours ago, Ozcall said:

Been busy tidying up wiring runs and layout in my DSC1 dac. Waiting for an HDMI-12S receiver board to alow direct connection of my new Raspberry PI4 music player.

Dac doesn't look quite as untidy in real life. Have to order some new non solid core screened cable for the output connections as the solid core I am using in some places in the dac is just too brittle.

Will take some pics of the Pi player when I move it to it's new case. It is made up of :

Pi4 2gb

Active cooling and heat sink

Ian Canada Fifopi reclocker and isolator

Ian Canada HDMI-I2S transmitter

Allo Shanti power supply

Volumio OS

dac.jjpg.jpg

The long green brd. with the trannies. What is it. I’ve seen them For sale.

14 hours ago, mwhouston said:

The long green brd. with the trannies. What is it. I’ve seen them For sale.

It is the dac board. It is based on the original design from Signalyst. It only accepts a dsd signal but can be  used with pcm by using software upsampling on a powerful computer or as I have done, using hardware resampling on the input board via an AK4137 upsampler chip. This dac completely outperforms my daul AK4495 board from the same manufacturer. Great thing about this board is it's comparatively low cost and the fact that it only requires 3x5v input to make it work. I use 2x Lt3045 regulators for the 2 channels the other 5 v input is simply to run the output relay. I think the board is a bargain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

It is the dac board. It is based on the original design from Signalyst. It only accepts a dsd signal but can be  used with pcm by using software upsampling on a powerful computer or as I have done, using hardware resampling on the input board via an AK4137 upsampler chip. This dac completely outperforms my daul AK4495 board from the same manufacturer. Great thing about this board is it's comparatively low cost and the fact that it only requires 3x5v input to make it work. I use 2x Lt3045 regulators for the 2 channels the other 5 v input is simply to run the output relay. I think the board is a bargain.

Looks rather interesting. Output trannies really do make a huge difference. I wish the Chinese DAC's would use them rather than OPAMPS.

16 hours ago, Muon N' said:

OK, dealt with the muting issue that followed after going non oversampling, the work around was on the Lampizator site.

No strange sound at start of play or skipping between tracks:party

But..... damn! I hate soldering to legs on these spider chips! :ban:

20191018_201324.jpg.469c45cb07911f4a17470f17cebb2004.jpg

Is this solder pad on the same trace? Might be easier than soldering onto chip leads.

Guest Muon N'
5 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Is this solder pad on the same trace? Might be easier than soldering onto chip leads.

Nah, it had no trace from it, like it's floating. Works as I did with no shorts to either neighboring legs.

A pic off lampizator site for reference, pin 18.

801192229_Pin18mute.thumb.jpg.c8b8eefe86259572b8c7f3a7cf820610.jpg

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

I get what you mean Bob, and that is essentially how I did it, I just didn't define the difference between pad and leg.

Edit: ah, that pad over there, nah, different leg.

Edited by Muon N'

I remember modifying my old Amiga 500, about a week after I bought it, by piggybacking a new ROM chip directly to the pins of the original ROM chip, with only the chip select pins connected to a switch for selecting between the two. Obviously it wasn't hot switchable LOL

10 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Who is up for their own version of these. 

7F97486A-F7C0-455D-81DE-EBC1D3D37683.jpeg

Cute.  Does the design treat them as a transmission line, or is it a sealed volume?  I have a pair of tiny drivers that might suit.

or maybe these from Jaycar  https://www.jaycar.com.au/shielded-2-inch-10w-8-ohm-full-range-speaker/p/AS3032 on special for the next few days

Shielded 2 Inch 10W 8-Ohm Full Range Speaker

Just finished the Pass ACA. A diminutive 8ish watt class A power amp.