DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Do you have an image of the drivers? Or have I missed something? 

Hi ! The drivers will be the Apogee original ones. A 6 1/2" Vifa p17wj and the ribbon, the 24" long version. The stereo subs will be a pair of Peeerless 10" CSX on sealed cabinets.

Guest Muon N'
On 02/09/2019 at 8:49 PM, Muon N' said:

Got a bunch of bits to do more on my own player, It's my own so more messy than where I do friends gear xD

So replaced the 79xx and 78xx regs with Sparko discrete regs, replaced the PS filter and decoupling caps too, but left a couple out next to the regs as there was just not enough room for them, the regs have a 10uf output cap on board so was OK to do so.

Did have a snag where I had put a Cerafine in backwards (getting too old for this stuff) and it popped on power up :$

Edit: It's noticeably quieter, and letting more music information through, sounds less constrained.

Did a few more cap replacements, although the SMD .1uf decoupling caps around the TDA chip are glued on as well as soldered, so will leave that for another day.

Singing pretty nice now :) No longer miss my record player and records.

oscons.jpg.5b67057e2d2ec93951ac9a73d93daaa7.jpg

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

Hmm...Player is getting hot and not reading many CDs including commercial ones, taking lots of tries just to get one to show tracks.

Damn! have to work this out!

Edit: Damn, will have to remove the CDM2 Mech' to get to the servo PCB.

Edited by Muon N'

Next project is the valve pre amp, looking to buy a couple of 12AU7 ECC82 valves that are reasonable cost (around $200 for the pair) what sources are there in Aus?

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1

Looking to purchase, no idea where from though and have no idea on prices, only bought 2nd hand ECC88 before.

Would you recommend upgrading the valve bases to ceramic from plastic?

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1

Done more work on this 12AX7 preamp with cathode follower dropping the gain some more which has now made  the amp very quiet. Still sounds good and plenty of gain. These tube rings from Evatco are much thicker then those from years back and a reasonable price. Also add name plate - “Lagoon 3”. 

62318EBA-52B9-42A4-BFBF-D308B76D3796.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Batty said:

Looking to purchase, no idea where from though and have no idea on prices, only bought 2nd hand ECC88 before.

Would you recommend upgrading the valve bases to ceramic from plastic?

If you have not used Evatco in QLD they have a good range of tube based components. If you can go for ceramic, not expensive, looks good. I’ve used both and just depends on what sound/look I want. 

If looking for an easy two stage preamp I would suggest the one I just built. If interested PM me and I’ll send the schematic. The preamp section has had some serious changes (I made) but in the end ( and even right from first turn on) it sounds very good.

13 minutes ago, Batty said:

Next project is the valve pre amp, looking to buy a couple of 12AU7 ECC82 valves that are reasonable cost (around $200 for the pair) what sources are there in Aus?

I would not spend that much.  A few of quick examples.    

https://www.thevalvestore.com.au/13-12au7-ecc82 

https://www.tubeaudio.com.au/12au7-ecc82/

https://www.evatco.com.au/audio-tubes/preamp-tubes/12au7-tubes/

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Done more work on this 12AX7 preamp with cathode follower dropping the gain some more which has now made  the amp very quiet. Still sounds good and plenty of gain. These tube rings from Evatco are much thicker then those from years back and a reasonable price. Also add name plate - “Lagoon 3”. 

62318EBA-52B9-42A4-BFBF-D308B76D3796.jpeg

Hi.

Wondering if you've heard the Psvane 12ax7 Premium.

Seem to cost as much as decent vintage @ $100 pair.

The Shuguang 50 year Treasures range does not seem to cover 12ax7.

• Like 1

For aesthetic and curiosity reasons I've ordered a MarkAudio Alpair 11ms.

I was also pondering the Tangband 1808, but I have an exisiting baffle with a cutout to suit the 11ms so it make sense (kind of) to use that.

The plan is to whack it into the smallish folded baffle and cross to (existing) seperate sealed bass units as low as seems sensible, with a MiniDSP to do the crossover and any EQ necessary on the 11ms and overall.

It's quite the change from my last OB which was a staggered baffle 4 way using BG Neo 10 and Neo3 ribbons in full dipole mode.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

For aesthetic and curiosity reasons I've ordered a MarkAudio Alpair 11ms.

I was also pondering the Tangband 1808, but I have an exisiting baffle with a cutout to suit the 11ms so it make sense (kind of) to use that.

The plan is to whack it into the smallish folded baffle and cross to (existing) seperate sealed bass units as low as seems sensible, with a MiniDSP to do the crossover and any EQ necessary on the 11ms and overall.

It's quite the change from my last OB which was a staggered baffle 4 way using BG Neo 10 and Neo3 ribbons in full dipole mode.

Driver looks good.I have some boxes ? that the 8” driver 12p I think. Love them. 

24ECD513-8D15-4ABF-AB40-527AF8C62E6A.jpeg

BD594E68-C32E-4A12-B938-4BCF1659891C.jpeg