DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

NOS is good but lately new either direct from Psvane or through eBay.

Go for new that way you should feel confident of good operation. 

On another note I’m with Telstra mail - outlook - and I am not getting any mail at all.

Are other having the problem. 

9 hours ago, betocool said:

Quality ok? Are they new or old? I'm asking because of ignorance, that's all.

Cheers,

Alberto

Psvane are a good place to start for current production bang for buck.

Shuguang have a premium line too.

Find them ebay or elsewhere online.

• Like 1

To checkout the tube front end I rough wired the preamp section to the output and had it drive a small tube amp. It worked perfectly. Now I know the front end is working correctly and all voltages are as they should be I can build the OPAMP section now for this hybrid headphone amp. 

F35A83F8-67BE-4A35-9019-F45B22D435AB.jpeg

Halfway restoring an avo vcm mk4. New painted side supports, cleaned knobs and switch holders, faceplate touched up and painted with couple coats of clear 2x, new replacement meter (expensive) installed.

Still need to disassemble and clean roller switch, measure and test internal resistors and calibrate if necessary.

image.thumb.jpg.a93f08df226b4db6a4f9641d5cd13294.jpg

• Like 3

First DIY project, very basic. Thanks Raiden for the advice on building. Stands for the Paradigm 9se, they still need sanding, painting and speaker spikes installed (awaiting delivery).

Very solid stands, using some Lego to bring them up to the intended height until the spikes arrive.

Satisfying building something, lucky I have a relative with a table saw and clamps.

34d7d66e035c1f9d6c51a90074f8b1b9.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, F18 said:

Halfway restoring an avo vcm mk4. New painted side supports, cleaned knobs and switch holders, faceplate touched up and painted with couple coats of clear 2x, new replacement meter (expensive) installed.

Still need to disassemble and clean roller switch, measure and test internal resistors and calibrate if necessary.

image.thumb.jpg.a93f08df226b4db6a4f9641d5cd13294.jpg

What a lovely looking machine.  That certainly was a different era in electronics.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Damn, I thought I was the only one who used that method.  :) 

I’ve used it dozens of time of a small and large scale. My tube preamps run from a 24V 1A AC wall wart that backs into the secondary of a small  24V step down Tranni to give me ~250V. 

36 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I’ve used it dozens of time of a small and large scale. My tube preamps run from a 24V 1A AC wall wart that backs into the secondary of a small  24V step down Tranni to give me ~250V. 

I use a 12Vac wall wart, but, same.  Much easier to get than a 'proper' valve power transformer.

6 hours ago, aussievintage said:

What a lovely looking machine.  That certainly was a different era in electronics.

Sure is and 50 years later it is still one of the best tube testers around.

Can anyone see what I have done wrong here TWICE! All values are correct but here is a hint - look at the red wire which connects the positive voltage. Only three guesses gents. 

B1F862FB-C61B-4FBD-B282-AD3D08B3E91B.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston

The hybrid headphone amp (LeManja) is completed and sounding good. Still trialling the limiting resistor for the reg but all else checks out. With a  universal front end any 12A?7 can be installed with no adjustments to bias etc. The backend is driven by a PT2308 - a dedicated headphone very low distortion driver chip (Class A/B). The chip runs on 7V max so I’ve used a 6V reg. 

About to have a be a big listen.  Current tube is a new Ting Sol gold pin. 

CBC1BD20-9421-49E0-A585-1BB299C8C1FA.jpeg

82255926-15BA-419C-9CAE-294D4724DF2D.jpegAfter seven hours on the end of this new HP amp I am extremely impressed. So very pleased. It will go up for sale. PM if interested. 

Edited by mwhouston

7 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Can anyone see what I have done wrong here TWICE! All values are correct but here is a hint - look at the red wire which connects the positive voltage. Only three guesses gents. 

B1F862FB-C61B-4FBD-B282-AD3D08B3E91B.jpeg

Isn't V+ supposed to be 4?

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, A J said:

I think I want this t-shirt - in fact I’ve ordered one. My wife won’t get it - in fact I can only think of 1 friend who actually would haha IMG_1479.jpg

? Where’d you order that from mate?

Guest Muon N'

I'm just a lowly part swapper so not really building.

Installed some better caps on the out put of my old bog standard CD65, an easy improvement. Removed the remote and Digital board to utilise the rca holes to mount some ETI sockets.

Might get me back into listening again.1173739948_ACaps.jpg.de084fec69350878843036de1f4d6631.jpg