• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mr.pharmacist;131054 wrote:
Channelness?

Speech control and single channelness

G. P. Van Galen and G. Ten Hoopen

Psychological Laboratory, University of Nijmegen, Netherlands

Abstract

A PRP-paradigm was used to investigate the role of speech control in human information processing. Speech can be considered a highly complex, focal activity, which will occupy the central decision mechanism in the same way as external signals do. There is. however, some neurological evidence for speech control as a relatively independent process.

In the experiment Ss had to perform a manual choice RT- task before, during, and after the articulatory stage of a naming response to an earlier stimulus. The results show that preparation of the speech reaction causes a clear delay of the processing of the second stimulus. This result is in line with Welford's Single Channel Model. However, during the execution of the articulatory process there is no evidence for delayed processing of a second stimulus.

Our conclusion is that speech control does not occupy the same functional units of the human information system as external signals do.

Ross F;131023 wrote:
Oh really? And how long do you reckon you can keep that up?

We're in our tenth year and counting now. Doesn't seem all that long now I think about it. We both enjoy music and gear. She's not so much about the gear as I am, but she does get enthusiastic about some pieces, especially vintage stuff. She really likes the old Sansui's.

My original post was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Sorry for that. I just get a bit confused when guys on audio forums go on about 'WAF' and how wives won't let bits of gear in the house because it doesn't match the decor, or other crap like that.

It's just not something I experience. I buy what I like, so does she. Because we have similar tastes and opinions on things there's never any argument. I can't imagine why people would get into a relationship if they do quibble over these things.

I think that's about two cents worth.

Declannz;131162 wrote:

It's just not something I experience. I buy what I like, so does she. Because we have similar tastes and opinions on things there's never any argument. I can't imagine why people would get into a relationship if they do quibble over these things.

Same, life is so much easier when your partner understands and appreciates your hobby! And I'm not married either.... 9 years and counting!

Yay! We should start a club. Why do people think that being legally bound together by marriage and children is the only kind of 'commitment' there is? To my mind one is more committed when one can walk away at any time but chooses not to do so.

Anyway, back on topic. These speakers don't look like $7000 worth to me. They're kind of plain looking and nothing special. I shall have to do some research to figure out what bits they have inside.

Declannz;131169 wrote:

Anyway, back on topic. These speakers don't look like $7000 worth to me. They're kind of plain looking and nothing special. I shall have to do some research to figure out what bits they have inside.

Their value is inversely proportional to their visual appeal... :P

Declannz;131169 wrote:
Yay! We should start a club. Why do people think that being legally bound together by marriage and children is the only kind of 'commitment' there is? To my mind one is more committed when one can walk away at any time but chooses not to do so.

Some tongue in cheek there Declannz!(?)

I've seen and heard a pair in a shop setting (running with Moon).

The looks are toned down compared to past Dyn's and the sound is very revealing, almost sterile. I would not describe them as "musical"....