Replacing Plinius 3100 with 8200p

I used to have a 3100 a few years ago and thought about doing the same thing after I'd had it a year. I took it to an audio shop and listened to some of my CDs in a listening room dedicated to Plinius (they had a CD101, and 8200P, and a Plinius pre-amp - I can't recall which) and Image loudspeakers. Then I switched the 8200P for my old 3100 and listened again. I was there for about 3 hours but as I couldn't discern any noticeable improvements I kept my 3100. But the 8200P is slimmer, more modern looking, and has more power, as you say...

Thanks Luckiestmanalive you have allayed my fears that the 8200p would sound significantly different ( I love the sound of the 3100). You were magnanimous in your deference to MW's advice.

Thanks MW. I will be looking out for one. One sold on trade-me a couple of months ago for $1100. Unfortunately I was in Australia at the time and missed out on bidding.

I've got one spare over here in Oz, but I already have someone keen on it locally. I would best be decribed a s a reluctant seller, in fact I nearly bought that one that you talk about just cause 1100 in A$ terms seemed like a steal at A$900 or so. I've had mine for 10 years, awesome amps.

Carlos;128396 wrote:
I am looking to replace my Plinius 3100 with a 8200p if i can find one at a reasonable price. Has anybody got any thoughts about any differences/ similarities that I should hear.

I am happy with the sound of the 3100 but it is 25 years old and a bit of extra horsepower cant be a bad thing.

Carlos, Some very good deals around at the moment on Perreaux stuff :D. Go listen to it!! The Silhouette range is a hugh step up on the old Plinius 8200 stuff which I had previously & the 150i (integrated) is selling for <$4k at the moment !@*&. I hear retail $ for Perreaux is rising 20% :eek:

• 2 weeks later...