Damn expensive RCA plugs

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damned fine price! :eek:

I have some locking and non-locking WBTs that came on some ICs I have, but I am happy with the DH Labs Ultimate RCAs I have used for some cables I put together. They are solid, locking and way cheaper than WBT.

These are supposed to be v good sounding, IIRC.

Altho the plug is quite big, note how thin the metal shell is... this is good connector design, IMO... compared with most over-massy, heavy connectors which must to some extent impede signal, at the end of your high quality cable.

However, price is only for those with proportionately costly cables!

Usual audiophile hyperbole too... I would have thought that '23.5 carat Hard Gold Plate' would be very soft grade gold.

Owen Y;127051 wrote:
Usual audiophile hyperbole too... I would have thought that '23.5 carat Hard Gold Plate' would be very soft grade gold.

All good points Owen. As for the gold, if you fit once and forget, then it's not an issue. It is for inveterate enthusiasts who love to fiddle.

Owen Y;127051 wrote:
These are supposed to be v good sounding, IIRC.

I recall Antipodes saying a while ago that he really liked Bocchino plugs, but the cost wasn't in line with where he wants to price his cables.

Performance wouldn't appear to be an issue, but obviously price is. They've been on Trademe for months.

B :)

Owen Y;127061 wrote:
Incidentally, my understanding is that even regular copper wire is 99.9+% purity copper.

These super-duper plugs don't even make it to six-nines level.

That's an audiophile FAIL.

:P

michael w;127181 wrote:
These super-duper plugs don't even make it to six-nines level.

That's an audiophile FAIL.

:P

Their copper content is spectacularly high compared with other plugs around. The WBT Topline is 68% copper, for example. The better plugs tend to vary between 55% to 90% copper, and there are only 3 brands that I know that definitely get above 99% in the final product.

Antipodes;127673 wrote:
Their copper content is spectacularly high compared with other plugs around. The WBT Topline is 68% copper, for example. The better plugs tend to vary between 55% to 90% copper, and there are only 3 brands that I know that definitely get above 99% in the final product.

The DH Labs Ultimate RCAs I mentioned above come in at a lowly 99.3%, though it is not clear if this is in the "final product" or the alloy they source.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/UltimateRCA.html

Antipodes;127673 wrote:

Surely that would make for a pretty soft plug, unless alloyed with something that can drastically increase the hardness... (NB this from an organic chemist :))

aarond;127704 wrote:
Surely that would make for a pretty soft plug, unless alloyed with something that can drastically increase the hardness... (NB this from an organic chemist
:)
)

That is the problem with high copper content alloys, but either they are lying or they have come up with a clever alloy as all 3 that claim to be above 99% are hard as you would hope them to be.