Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Getting them started early   

I know - I'm a bad person and deserve to be punished! The magic and warmth of tubes has lured me in again. After I sold my WA22, I said that's it! Enough tube rolling and hum! The HE-9 drives my ZMF a

28 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

What a beast!

Eric's amp is awesome :) you will love it man...

oh yeah you are not buying any more audio gear this year ;)

1 hour ago, xtiva2000 said:

Sold my La Figaro to make way for the new Eric Mcchanson amp... Just picked it up and this is awesome amp.. looks budget, no-frills but sound wise it is amazing :)

It shines really well with Terminator :)

20210319_172428.thumb.jpg.e891e91ead53849f014de2f8565df713.jpg20210319_172438.thumb.jpg.6ea253be0760cfa06e108f90b97980ce.jpg

20210313_210750.thumb.jpg.8a4017a5d9e915b3f122d5aedd6508dd.jpg

Two EL34/KT77 and 6SN7s? Looks well made transformer wise etc. Which model from Eric is this? What power are those single and balanced outputs capable of? Any thoughts or reviews? Looks similar layout to Bigger Ben.

8 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Two EL34/KT77 and 6SN7s? Looks well made transformer wise etc. Which model from Eric is this? What power are those single and balanced outputs capable of? Any thoughts or reviews? Looks similar layout to Bigger Ben.

He probably drew inspiration ;)

A tube amp with enough tubes is a heater. It's coming into Winter.

Seems I need it.

20 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

It's KT77 with 6EM7 / 6EA7 and unfortunately not compatible with 6SN7s.... :(

With KT150 12W in UL but about 8W in Triode mode..

Mine is below linked model..  it might look similar but probably won't be comparable to Big Ben..

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=114692535772&category=14970&pm=1&ds=0&t=1616158070380&cspheader=1

It is SE only with 4-pin XLR output...

It sounds very detailed and has great depth and width on the sound stage... what it seems to be lacking is bass extension.. amp only had few hours of playing and hope bass will get better with more playing time...

I am comparing with LF 339 ...

Retracting lack of bass extension.  I had my both headphone output to 4 ohm out put which meant it just didn't have enough power to drive my headphone.

I used 8 ohm out and the sound was much better with good bass extension.  It is not boomy bass but very tight with detail... listening to Cello sonata, it was amazing.

Thanks.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, xtiva2000 said:

Retracting lack of bass extension.  I had my both headphone output to 4 ohm out put which meant it just didn't have enough power to drive my headphone.

I used 8 ohm out and the sound was much better with good bass extension.  It is not boomy bass but very tight with detail... listening to Cello sonata, it was amazing.

Thanks.

Which headphones you using?

10 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Which headphones you using?

I only have HD800.

Visited Eric today and he gave me a new tube to test, 6L6 black metal tube and this has tube has changed the amp completely.

I am very new to this hi-fi and learning a I go so cannot explain sound in proper way but this is an amazing tube....

It now has so much bass extension, with very tight bass without any boominess,  yet it doesn't sound too warm either.  Tonality it is tad on warm side but still has great detail without rolled off treble.

For vocal, it did not sound as if they are singing right in front you but rather they are singing from a stage a little distance away from you, as if you are at a concert hall.   Depth does not stop to far from there but rather immensely deep sound stage from there on....  As a classical music listener, vocal music for me is more like Opera or Cantatas, and this sort of sound stage seems to be more natural to me... 

Anyway that was my 5 cent review on my Eric's amp.

Here is a photo of my amp with 6L6 black metal tube in it.

20210322_214618.thumb.jpg.31c5391ac7c0621ca637e8108c80151e.jpg

Edited by xtiva2000
  • Like 3

I'll give you $5 for the pair of 6L6 metal shield tubes. Eric won't know about it. I'll just say that I use it in his 300b amp and it sound better than 300b tubes. 

I'm having Eric's 300b amp for a week and I'm also having @gzbaga 's He1000 v2 and He6se v2 for a week. Right now I'm listening to He6se v2 with the 300b amp and I'd say it's the cheapest means to Nirvana. Tonight I'm picking up the Hekv2 and I've no doubt the 300b will make it sing. As a matter of interest, I'll pick up my son's Arya and listen to it through this powerful and sweet sounding 300b amp.

IMG_2063.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

A combo that will not deplete your account balance but at the same time, it's right up there with the some of the best. If you love the He6se v2 which I do now, you'd be hard pressed to find a better amp than the 300b amp for it. A change of tube rectifier to Mullard GZ32 has elevated SQ up several notches. Even I think this is bloody good. So good I'm quite willing to part with my Wa22 for it.

IMG_2069.jpg

• Love 1

Eric told me not to promote it too much . He can't handle lots of orders lol. So I should downplay this.  ?

Guys this is mediocre. Just cross it off your mind. ?

• Haha 1

You have a tendancy to enjoy anything with tubes connected via a wire to anything with a Planar driver, wrapped in leather around your ears though Odyssey. Just saying :P

• Haha 1

I do I do Ben.  Imo a planar that needs some juice is best serve with a nice powerful transformer coupled SET tube amp, especially one that is priced low, sound good and made in Australia. 

Both Shin's KT77 and the 300b are very good when driving headphones and even speakers. I'll be testing out the 300b in my lounge with my speakers at lunch time. 

A pity I don't have my Beyer T1.2 anymore. That will sound great with these amps.

One of the solid state that I like for it's low price, good features and sound is the Taurus and it's still with me. Decided I won't let it go. At $1000 it's worth keeping. Pity I left it in Canberra. Could have test it out with this He6se v2.

Made myself a Empyrean cable. People say the Meze silver plated upgrade cable was well worth it, so figured why not. 4x22AWG, I think the Meze is 8x24 or maybe 26. Not 100% sure.

Super lightweight. Pretty. Flexible. Not too old. Just how @BlueOceanBoy .... never mind.

20210323_130028 1.jpg

20210323_130311 1.jpg

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

20210323_130311 1.jpg

20210323_130028 1.jpg

What camera did you shoot those photos with, looks semi-professional.

Very nice lighting, did you use a flash for that?

Note: I am asking seriously, not pulling your leg. As I also used to be all into dslr/photography as a hobby before.

Edited by bruc3
6 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Note: I am asking seriously, not pulling your leg. As I also used to be all into dslr/photography as a hobby before.

oh its just his Samsung SM-G973F phone? wow nice photo though...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Just how @BlueOceanBoy....is???

We all know you were @neilcomingupbehindya before changing accounts.

6 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Just a Galaxy S10. I had a cheap lightbox I was about to throw out and then realised instead of taking snaps for people on my cupboard, lightbox would give more uniform results. Need to find a real matte black uniform crease free backing I think. @Huckles Where I get something like that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, xtiva2000 said:

oh its just his Samsung SM-G973F phone? wow nice photo though...

Ah you clever boy, you downloaded the photo to check the metadata details. Very nice.

2 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Ah you clever boy, you downloaded the photo to check the metadata details. Very nice.

And he also reminded me I forgot to strip the data out before posting it haha.

Forums should just do that automatically. Really wouldn't be hard.

12 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

And he also reminded me I forgot to strip the data out before posting it haha.

Forums should just do that automatically. Really wouldn't be hard.

Yeah exactly some photography forums have those functionality...in built....

3 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Made myself a Empyrean cable. People say the Meze silver plated upgrade cable was well worth it, so figured why not. 4x22AWG, I think the Meze is 8x24 or maybe 26. Not 100% sure.

Super lightweight. Pretty. Flexible. Not too old. Just how @BlueOceanBoy .... never mind.

20210323_130028 1.jpg

20210323_130311 1.jpg

Bloody Beautiful Ben good job Bud..

Edited by Yetiman

Thanks boss.

It missed out on a Furutech 4pin XLR because I don't have any left. People keep opting for them and been a shortage. More next week I think.

Eying off some sort of either pure copper or silver plated litz. Just felt like working with normal wire is too easy, why not make it harder.

12 minutes ago, Yetiman said:

Sorry mate just noticed there 3-pin

Yeah. It's ok, some stock is coming. Just was out for a few weeks, so end up running out. Also snapped the spring pin on a mini XLR furutech, bit annoying.

New DAP arrived today and its end game ?

Kann Alpha is a big step up from the baby SR15 and drives the hell out of the Grado’s 

You can keep your global warming tube amps and class A’s I’m saving the planet one track at a time ?

I’m too wild to be chained to a desk ?

15BE6138-63FA-4A83-9A99-62690D263D03.jpeg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, RePete said:

I’m too wild to be chained to a desk ?

I'm confident I have something from our PMs I can quote to contradict this. Let me find it :P

13 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I'm confident I have something from our PMs I can quote to contradict this. Let me find it :P

You can refer to this post next week if I buy somthing else ? 

Edited by RePete
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, RePete said:

You can refer to this post next week if I buy somthing else ? 

I've got several posts stating I won't buy anymore hifi for 2021. For sure someone gonna pull me up on that :P

• Like 1

Many years ago, as a result of my head-fi journey, I said I'd never get closed cans again.  Then, a couple of years ago I heard some Mezze Classics 99 at the hi-fi show, and loved them.  Picked some up today, in replacement for some more monitor style cans I was previously using.  These are for PC use only, so not part of my dedicated set-up.  Very simply just internet/YouTube/Spotify use.  I must admit, their timbre and tonality is right up my alley.  Nice and comfy too, although time will truly tell on that one.

2.thumb.jpg.05a1448aacc1f28151a89ba91f5482aa.jpg

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, RePete said:

Those Meze Classics are super comfortable. ?

Yeah I really like the expanding head band.  Nice and light too...

Happy to report cable has stuff all microphonics.

If I used no splitter, or a plastic splitter, would basically disappear completely. But maybe its good having it, gently weights the twisted pairs down straight neatly.

Toying with idea of a modular system using the Hirose HR10 connectors at the splitter and near amp end, but a pair of those is 18grams, twice the weight of this single viablue. Hmmm.