~Samuel~

Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Current things. NFB 11.28 soon to be replaced with a standalone DAC and SS Amp.

Z1R isn't plugged into the Darkvoice FYI.

20200206_191746.thumb.jpg.a88da340ef3843279e45cbebb81947a6.jpg

Edited by Bengineer

18 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Current things. NFB 11.28 soon to be replaced with a standalone DAC and SS Amp.

Z1R isn't plugged into the Darkvoice FYI.

20200206_191746.thumb.jpg.a88da340ef3843279e45cbebb81947a6.jpg

Looks the real deal. Very serious. 

It in a psuedo phase. Trying some things out like the Fiio BTR5 (pretty cool) and the Darkvoice.

Looking to replace the NFB with a separate DAC / Amp I thik. Its a solid budget unit, but want a slight step up.

Loving my bedroom rig at the moment!

52859D20-15FC-4A65-922D-026D870DB9A0.jpeg

I've been sitting back listening to the Sony Z1R > 4.4mm Bal > Fiio 4.4 to 2.5mm BAL > Fiio BTR5

Goes alright, only went balanced as the Sony comes with the cable as a shorter one, and the BTR5 puts out OK power Bal.

On 21/01/2020 at 7:37 PM, Odyssey said:

Time to update my station.

IMG-4911.jpg

What is all that? 

30 minutes ago, CAVL said:

What is all that? 

I'll have a go! 

Top shelf - Oblivion by Ultrasonic Studios

Second shelf - Studio Six SET Amplifier by ALO Audio

Third shelf - Yggdrasil DAC

Fourth Shelf - Red Gum Stereo Amplifier 

Or in less words a world class Headfi station!

@Galactic Soap knows his stuff. 🙂

I would have love to try your Abyss TC on Oblivion.

@Odyssey - We'll have to organise a catch-up! I'd love to hear the Studio Six, Oblivion and Verite Open you have! 

Sure if you are in Canberra. I spend more time in Canberra even though my home is in Sydney.

Several years ago we had meets in Sydney but the organiser moved to Melbourne and that was the end of it.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

20200212_184448.jpg

20200212_184425.jpg

What have you gone and done? ;)

40 minutes ago, Benjet said:

What have you gone and done? ;)

You can't prove anything.

I was planning to have a productive work day today ...

20200213_084415.jpg

Apart from what appears to be a USB grounding issue / noise (when nothing is playing can hear it), this is how it currently looks. Might grab a iFi iDefender , should work.

SMSL SP200 volume pot is a bit average, so have just maxed it to where its too loud, and control volume from DAC via remote, works fine.

20200213_114214.jpg

10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Apart from what appears to be a USB grounding issue / noise (when nothing is playing can hear it), this is how it currently looks. Might grab a iFi iDefender , should work.

SMSL SP200 volume pot is a bit average, so have just maxed it to where its too loud, and control volume from DAC via remote, works fine.

20200213_114214.jpg

Is that a zmf verite?

Yes sir.

And I've figured out the noise issue. Was 50% in the USB Power cable and 50% in the USB Data cable.

Can sort the Power one easily, actually plugged into a phone charge for the moment. Might get a dedicated 5V power pack or just a Anker PowerPort desktop USB power hub.

And the USB Data cable plugged into the front ports did the job. Front ports run off a separate leader back to the mobo, which may run off a different rail on the PSU. Worst case, it stays plugged into the front.

19 hours ago, Bengineer said:

20200213_114214.jpg

Congrats on snapping up the ZMF Verite. Sounds great driven by Studio Six or Oblivion.

This headphone has all the clarity and details and yet sound very smooth and natural, which makes long listening sessions fatigue free and enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Congrats on snapping up the ZMF Verite. Sounds great driven by Studio Six or Oblivion.

This headphone has all the clarity and details and yet sound very smooth and natural, which makes long listening sessions fatigue free and enjoyable.

I could barely afford the Verite, the Studio Six is a bit of a stretch mate :P I bet it sounds good!

On 13/02/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bengineer said:

I was planning to have a productive work day today ...

20200213_084415.jpg

How you finding them? Looking the sp200, I think it is a great little amp but does get warm.

Plenty of juice in a tiny tiny box. Looks nice, well built except for the volume knob. I set it around 40% on Low Gain and have the topping set at -10.0 db, then use the Topping remote to up and down volume as each song requires. 40% on the SMSL SP200 and full on the Topping is too loud.

Hard to tell you how good it is. I went straight into SMSL and Verite. So 99% of the goodness is the cans. But they feel adequatly driven at this point.

Topping dope little dac too. Apart from my USB noise issues (fault of mobo/psu) that it seems sensitive to, can't complain. Its *tiny*, and I mean tiny tiny, but still weighs 500g. Solid little thing. Its about the size of a drinks coaster, and 2cm thick.

Verite in action. This one is in Pheasant wood. Stunning driven by Oblivion. The amp is transparent with a touch of tube tone. 

IMG_0022.jpg

Looking for a budget cable now. Might terminate in 2.5mm balanced, gives me flexibility to adapter to everything else easily enough.

On 14/02/2020 at 10:47 AM, Bengineer said:

Plenty of juice in a tiny tiny box. Looks nice, well built except for the volume knob. I set it around 40% on Low Gain and have the topping set at -10.0 db, then use the Topping remote to up and down volume as each song requires. 40% on the SMSL SP200 and full on the Topping is too loud.

Hard to tell you how good it is. I went straight into SMSL and Verite. So 99% of the goodness is the cans. But they feel adequatly driven at this point.

Topping dope little dac too. Apart from my USB noise issues (fault of mobo/psu) that it seems sensitive to, can't complain. Its *tiny*, and I mean tiny tiny, but still weighs 500g. Solid little thing. Its about the size of a drinks coaster, and 2cm thick.

I will have to keep that in  mind when I get my own SMSL SP200. The gain settings are a bit nuts apparently,  +6DB is low gain and +18DB is high gain.