Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

You can buy the LCD 4 headband as a spare part, not cheap but more comfortable.

And I agree with the getting warm problem, but I live in Canberra so it's a plus for me.

@@Beyer guy

Edited by Sime

My first post in the Headfi section.

I am primarily a speaker person, and  haven't really used headphones for many years. Having said that, headphones were my primary listening experience when I was living with my parents in the late 70's and early 80's.

Although I still have my old Stax SRX MK3s, I have been meaning to get something a little better to listen on a 2nd system dedicated to headphones. I thought it would be a Stax Omega or 009, but I had a few days of listening at A2A, and didn't really get on with the Stax.

It came down to the Abyss, LCD4, and the HE1000. It was really hard to choose, but I came away with the HE1000.

Cheers

David

My first post in the Headfi section.

I am primarily a speaker person, and  haven't really used headphones for many years. Having said that, headphones were my primary listening experience when I was living with my parents in the late 70's and early 80's.

Although I still have my old Stax SRX MK3s, I have been meaning to get something a little better to listen on a 2nd system dedicated to headphones. I thought it would be a Stax Omega or 009, but I had a few days of listening at A2A, and didn't really get on with the Stax.

It came down to the Abyss, LCD4, and the HE1000. It was really hard to choose, but I came away with the HE1000.

Cheers

David

I had a listening session at A2A too, and was also most impressed by the HE1000's. A great balance of low, mids and highs.

Just wondering what amplification was George @ A2A using to power the SR-009's or SR-007 MK2's?

A2a didn't have the 009 for me to listen to, and they stated that they much preferred the 007.

It was the stax valve amp in the first session.

In the second session, I brought in my own gear - amp, cd player, and SRD pro, which is how I would use them.

I personally prefer a good hifi amp through transformers to the Stax amps.

That said, I have never heard the BHSE, which everyone says is the best amp.

In both my sessions, all the stax, including my own,  lacked body and weight compared to the planers.

I have had the HE1000s for about 2 weeks, and I can say that they are not perfect. My feeling is that there is an excess of treble energy somewhere. They are not bright sounding, nor sibilant, but just have a general excess haze.

Cheers

David

You listened to an absolutely unoptimal setup with the O2`s which are underpowered for them. Listen to the 007 on the BHSE or similar and you will be absolutely blown away.

Also the Stax transformers are always vastly inferior to even a good Stax amp or 3rd party regardless of the speaker hifi amp behind it. To save cluttering this thread you can send me a message if you wish to know why, what and recommendations.

No wonder you were underwhelmed with your Stax listening session.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You listened to an absolutely unoptimal setup with the O2`s which are underpowered for them. Listen to the 007 on the BHSE or similar and you will be absolutely blown away.

Also the Stax transformers are always vastly inferior to even a good Stax amp or 3rd party regardless of the speaker hifi amp behind it. To save cluttering this thread you can send me a message if you wish to know why, what and recommendations.

No wonder you were underwhelmed with your Stax listening session.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I was never going to be in the market for a $8K headphone amp plus $3K headphones.

I have an amplifier that I really like, and I wanted headphones that I could run off the speaker terminals.

I really have to disagree with you on the Transformer option. As well as my SRXs, I had Lamda Signatures (for editing in my studio) in the 90's, and never liked listening to music on them. I later discovered it was mainly the Stax amplifier. When the headphones were connected up to a very good hifi amp via an adaptor, they were very enjoyable. Also my amp driving the 007 through the SRD 7 pro was a big step up from the Stax amp (007t - $3.5K).

The HE1000s were a no brainer for me. They were easily driven off the back of my existing amp, and sounded better that way than through anything they had in the shop.

Anyway, I'll understand if you strongly disagree with me - we all have different perspectives. I have a friend who doesn't like my HE1000's or any of the Stax and believes his HD800s (moddified) are superior.

Do you run the 009s or 007s yourself, if so, what with?

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Anyway, I'll understand if you strongly disagree with me - we all have different perspectives.

Yep, which is why it's great to compare notes with other people, but there's really only one opinion that matters with how a set-up suits you, and that's your own.  I've got a new system on the way and I have no doubt that not everyone would go for the options I chose, yet, for me, it's ticks all the boxes. 

And then some...  :)

I steered away from Stax too, very quickly actually, didn't suit me at all.

I really have to disagree with you on the Transformer option. As well as my SRXs, I had Lamda Signatures (for editing in my studio) in the 90's, and never liked listening to music on them. I later discovered it was mainly the Stax amplifier. When the headphones were connected up to a very good hifi amp via an adaptor, they were very enjoyable. Also my amp driving the 007 through the SRD 7 pro was a big step up from the Stax amp (007t - $3.5K).

Do you run the 009s or 007s yourself, if so, what with?

Well its not either my opinion nor yours when it is an established fact that the Stax transformer adaptors will always come out second if you compare it to a better dedicated amplifier, one of the sole reasons why old Stax ltd discontinued the adaptor option in the late 80's. The transformer adaptors were always a cheap alternative option Stax offered for those that could not afford real electrostatic amplifiers and/or wanted to use a split source system with people who wanted to listen to there electrostatic headphones through there speaker system amplifier. Providing you have a good amplifier behind the adaptors they can offer more headroom and volume and very good dynamics but due to the step up ratio'd transformers they will always lack transparency and detail compared to a properly designed dedicated electrostatic amplifier.

Don't get me wrong I like the adaptors as well, I love my SRD-7sb MK2 with my Lambdas connected to my Unison Research hybrid amplifier but in terms of resolution it is vastly inferior to my SRM1 MK2. Heck no wonder you felt the SRD-7 Pro sounded better then the 007ta, by far the worst Stax amplifier to date followed second by the 727. You should try and have a listen with your SR-X through some SRA-12S or SRM1 MK2.

I no longer have my 009's, sold them years ago as I felt they were too bright for my taste and after hearing it on the BHSE that impression was still the same. Once I have my KGSSHV Carbon built that could be a different story and a headphone to revisit. I enjoy my collection of Lambda's, Gamma's, SR-3,5's, SR-X MK3 etc. 

Though I'am no longer interested in headphones as much as I was on head-fi years ago. 

Edited by liteneasy

Well its not either my opinion nor yours when it is an established fact that the Stax transformer adaptors will always come out second if you compare it to a better dedicated amplifier, one of the sole reasons why old Stax ltd discontinued the adaptor option in the late 80's. The transformer adaptors were always a cheap alternative option Stax offered for those that could not afford real electrostatic amplifiers and/or wanted to use a split source system with people who wanted to listen to there electrostatic headphones through there speaker system amplifier. Providing you have a good amplifier behind the adaptors they can offer more headroom and volume and very good dynamics but due to the step up ratio'd transformers they will always lack transparency and detail compared to a properly designed dedicated electrostatic amplifier.

Don't get me wrong I like the adaptors as well, I love my SRD-7sb MK2 with my Lambdas connected to my Unison Research hybrid amplifier but in terms of resolution it is vastly inferior to my SRM1 MK2. Heck no wonder you felt the SRD-7 Pro sounded better then the 007ta, by far the worst Stax amplifier to date followed second by the 727. You should try and have a listen with your SR-X through some SRA-12S or SRM1 MK2.

I no longer have my 009's, sold them years ago as I felt they were too bright for my taste and after hearing it on the BHSE that impression was still the same. Once I have my KGSSHV Carbon built that could be a different story and a headphone to revisit. I enjoy my collection of Lambda's, Gamma's, SR-3,5's, SR-X MK3 etc. 

Though I'am no longer interested in headphones as much as I was on head-fi years ago. 

I won't get into an argument over what is fact and just widely held opinion. I haven't heard all of them, but have disliked every Stax amplifier that I have heard.

One thing to understand is that I am very particular about what I need an amplifier to do, and very few manage it. What is important to me in music reproduction may not be important to you, or most other people. I am not obsessed with detail, but need timing and coherency.

What do you think of the Sr-007s?

One thing to understand is that I am very particular about what I need an amplifier to do, and very few manage it. What is important to me in music reproduction may not be important to you, or most other people. I am not obsessed with detail, but need timing and coherency.

What do you think of the Sr-007s?

Well I can't disagree to that, to each his own. 

Which version of the 007's?

I prefer the MK1's to the MK2. The new ones dubbed MK2.5 by Birgir is supposedly equal or better then the MK1's.

Never owned the O2's only had them loaned out to me and heard them extensively at private meets with 2 other folks who own very expensive electrostatic headphone set-ups. The O2 MK1 and the old T1 is what got me hooked onto the Stax sound many years ago (even though the T1 is not really up to the task of powering the O2 MK1's optimally). Had the Omega 1's as well which I prefer to the 009's. 

Buy Stax stuff from Japan or PriceJapan, save up to 60% compared to buying locally. If you don't mind the exclusion of warranty.

Edited by liteneasy

I may yet at sometime take a punt on a s/h pair of Mk1's. $1500US seems to be the going rate. I won't be in any hurry though.

The SRM-T1 is the unit I had with my Lambdas.

I have got the parts to build by own Transformer stage, including some massive transformers intended for full range electrostatic speakers.

Cheers

David

I dunno how or why, but there's a sprinkle of magic dust on LCD 2's that they know just how to bring out the best in music.

It's not about perfection, it's just something about them that's just so right.

It's a pair of headphones I think everyone should own.