Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Some pictures of my current Headphone equipment.

I started using headphones seriously, about 12 months ago when we had a new baby arrive.

I have gone through quite a few headphones in that time including Beyer T1, Audeze LCD-3F, Sennheiser HD-700 & HD-800.

I have pretty much settled on the AKG K-812 as my favourite, which surprised me. A fair deal of negativity with regards this phone in Head Fi land. I find It to be a really good combination of near HD-800 detail and soundstage, with more bass and most importantly, a euphoric sound. By this I mean It is a highly listenable phone, everything has a glow about it ( that may be the distortion they are talking about on HeadFi) you find yourself getting lost in the music, which is obviously a pretty awesome trait Imo.

Also a pic of a new headphone, The EnigmAcoustic D-1000 Dharma, which is an electrostatic /dynamic driver hybrid, in bland terms, the Martin Logan of the headphone world. It is still running in at the moment, hope it is a good juxtaposition to the dynamic driver AKG.

Also looking forward to to trying the new Hifiman Edition X.

Love the Auralic Taurus, plenty of power and very nice overall sound. I had the Vega DAC for a while, but actually preferred the couple of CD players I have. I hope to start using pc soon and sampling some high bit rate and DSD music.

Happy listening !

post-104753-0-05754800-1447549140_thumb.

post-104753-0-38545500-1447549169_thumb.

post-104753-0-74002300-1447549200_thumb.

post-104753-0-48615700-1447549224_thumb.

• Like 5

The Dharma is actually an electret hybrid with dynamic transducer for the lows (but marketed as such). Same concept to the 1978 AKG K340. I'm glad you like it, it didn't impress me when I heard them resolution is a big step down from my full down e-stats.

@

Not sure what you are trying to say, the Dharma is marketed as an electrostatic and dynamic driver Hybrid, as per below, which is what i said in my post;

And I haven't confirmed if I like it yet, (your assumption).

Of note; There have been a few different versions of this phone leading up to this, only very recently available (less than a week or so to consumers) final production model.

Website blurb:

Electrostatic Serenity

There’s something undeniably magic about electrostatics. Whether it’s loudspeakers or headphones, their ability to resolve inner detail, to reproduce music with immediacy, transparency,and focus is unparalleled. Utilizing an almost massless thin film membrane, they have long been regarded as the Holy Grail, and what they do as magic.

ENIGMAcoustics came into existence with that belief. And as a company devoted to electrostatic design, we made a statement right out of the gate with our groundbreaking Sopranino electrostatic super tweeter. Its design, built around our patented SBESLâ„¢ (Self-Biased Electrostatic) technology, eliminates the need for an external AC connection to provide a polarizing voltage.

This patented SBESL™ technology is implemented now ─ as a miniaturized work of art ─ in the DHARMA Electrostatic/Dynamic Hybrid Stereo Headphone. The result, not unexpectedly, is high frequency response that extends to 40kHz, and sweet, nuanced, sound that will take your breath away. Augmenting the electrostatic HF element for lower frequencies is a 52mm Washi paper based dynamic driver, which provides not only bass extension to 5Hz, but palpably impactful mid bass as well. It transitions seamlessly to DHARMA’s electrostatic tweeter with a phase coherent first order slope.

At 450 grams, DHARMA is comfortable. It is also an ergonomic and stylish design featuring a high-grade aluminum alloy housing and sound that will envelope the listener in nothing less than electrostatic serenity.

@

Not sure what you are trying to say, the Dharma is marketed as an electrostatic and dynamic driver Hybrid, as per below, which is what i said in my post;

And I haven't confirmed if I like it yet, (your assumption).

Snipped

Nope they are actually using an electret concept driver (though over the past 4 decades electret/electrostatic have been used interchangeably) I've seen one side of the headphones completely disassembled. I've also read the website blurb before the headphone came out to Australia as it was linked elsewhere. There self patent "Self-bias" even says so it is an electret driver, a full blown electrostatic driver requires external bias from either a DC to step up transformer power supply at anywhere between 150-600vdc bias or a dedicated special amplifier for it (akin to Stax, Sennheiser and Kingsound).

Might want to read up a few technical white paper on the difference between electret and electrostatic. 

Edited by DefQon

• 2 weeks later...

I'd live a pair but I have four quality phones now and really get more use from closed back types.

During the period of my head-fi addiction I bought and sold around 20 pairs of headphones. Since moving house I've been lucky enough to be able to dedicate one room to my 2 channel system so I don't listen to headphones as much as I used to. I've got one pair now, the LCD2.1

Edited by carlcip
  • Like 1

Do you enjoy them?

I have a revised LCD2.1. I like them.

Out of the dozens of headphones I tried over the years the 2.1 has been my favourite regardless of price. I just hope the drivers hold up for a long time to come and don't suffer the fate of a large number of failures in other models.

If I ever had to get them repaired I don't think d get them back sounding the same.

Out of interest, what did you do to revise yours?

I just bought a Final Audio Pandora Hope VI with Marantz DAC 1. Only put about 4 hours on it yet, but man!

I bought them because tried this combo in Japan a few weeks ago and I think they are a great match.

Very transparent, and such wide sound stage for a closed set up. the Marantz adds a touch of warmth, which is just so sweet in this set up.

• Like 2

Home:

Sennheiser HD600 with balanced cable

Oppo PM-1 with balanced cable

Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Portable:

Sennheiser HD239

Koss KSC75

IEM:

Brainwavz B2 

Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 Noise Cancelling

Gaming headset:

Audio Technica ATH-PDG1

Retired:

Sennheiser HD437

Sennheiser HD420

Amp/DACs:

Oppo HA-1

HRT Microstreamer

DAP:

Sony NWZ-A15

Home:

Sennheiser HD600 with CH 650S balanced cable

Audio Technica AD900 recabled for balanced

Audio Technica ESW9

Home amps:

DIY The Wire BAL-BAL

DIY O2

Various DIY ESS DACs (es9023 x2, es9018 x1 more under construction)

DIY aya ii under construction

Portable:

Sennheiser Ubanite

DAP:

Pono Player

Philips SHP9500. I'm not a huge headphone user, but these just blow me away for their SQ & value for money. 

I auditioned quite a few headphones in the $200 to $500 range about a year ago and honestly nothing grabbed me as a huge upgrade to a 10 year old pair of Sonys I have. 

Saw these on "Catch of the Day" for $99, did some online research and took a punt. Absolutely amazed with the sound quality.