Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Currently I own the 650 HD, an earlier Sennheiser one and some wireless Sony headphones. I'm thinking of buying the Ultrasone Edition 9 with the RP010B-MkII headphone amplifier. Then I saw the Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 on this site. The RP010B-MkII costs a bit more than the Yamamoto one so hopefully I will at least be getting a better amplifier.

The only pair of headphones I own is my headset for my pc when I am gaming with my team. I got a pair of Sennheiser PC150. No introduction is needed for them, its Sennheiser through and through and they do actually give me an edge in gaming. The "positioning" image I guess is unbelivable. For music wise I just listen through my speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump if no-one's interested :)

Senn HD414s (Christmas present from my folks in 1980) which, with a couple of replacement drivers and multiple earpads survived until 2003ish, when I replaced them with Senn HD580s, which probably still only have 50 or so hours on them. But now looking for a proper amp to drive them.

Portable - standard ipod (ugh - just get thrown in a drawer or given to the kids to play with), Koss KC75 with broken ear clip, replaced with Senn PCX200 (had intended wearing them on the bike, so PC200 wasn't practical - not bad for what I use them for, but that band is annoying.

Kent

AKG K1000s, Grado RS-1s, Etymotic ER4P + P-S cable X 2 (got second pair half price on ebay as backups :)) , Senn PX-100 + various others not used much anymore, my wife uses my noice cancelling JVCs on flights, I much prefer the Etys. The Etys get a lot of use, very portable, sound great, block out heaps of noise. Amps: Sugden headmaster, Benchmark DAC1, Headroom Total bit head (bought before there was so many other portable headphone amp options), EAR864P+Musical Fidelity A5cr (for the AKG 1000 ear speakers).

If I could only have one pair it would be the Etys, if only twopairs, the AKG K1000s and Etys.

Hi Marine,

I saw you have the AKG 1000, just wonder what amp do you use to drive them? My MF is not up to it. :-(

AKG3.jpg

Hi Marine,

I saw you have the AKG 1000, just wonder what amp do you use to drive them? My MF is not up to it. :-(

AKG3.jpg

Hi JCR, I use my MF A5cr poweramp, it is powerful enough :) (250w rms into 8ohm). A dedicated amp for them would be nice one day. Maybe an EAR integrated (I use an EAR 864 preamp) or a DIY build of a First Watt F1 if I ever find the time.

I actually wouldn't mind another pair, I got mine off of ebay, and a friend picked them up for me, and I don't think they were well looked after.:)

Hi JCR, I use my MF A5cr poweramp, it is powerful enough :D (250w rms into 8ohm). A dedicated amp for them would be nice one day. Maybe an EAR integrated (I use an EAR 864 preamp) or a DIY build of a First Watt F1 if I ever find the time.

I actually wouldn't mind another pair, I got mine off of ebay, and a friend picked them up for me, and I don't think they were well looked after.:)

Hi Marine,

Thanks for the reply. I bought mine 3 years ago and is still in the wooden box as new. :)

I think I might get a Yamamoto but not sure if it is compatible.

HA-02-2.jpg

Hi Marine,

Thanks for the reply. I bought mine 3 years ago and is still in the wooden box as new. :)

I think I might get a Yamamoto but not sure if it is compatible.

Yes I didn't get a wooden box, one of a few complaints, but they do sound great. Sadly I put in an order for a brand new pair only a couple of months after they stopped making them.

I don't think you'll have much luck with the Yamamoto and K1000s, IIRC Bronal didn't think it drove his AKG K701s well, and the K1000s are a different more difficult beast than them.

They are designed to be run off of the speaker outputs of a poweramp, which is why I put off buying a pair for a few years (bought the Grado RS-1s instead back in 2002) as I didn't have a good poweramp. The Woo Audio 5, has a dedicated output for the K1000s, apparently they sound best with at least 5-6 watts behind them, I've only tried with 250 :).

Hi Jack,

I have a Yamamoto HA-02 and use it to drive Ultrasone Edition 9s for very decent sound, at least as far as headphones are concerned.

Aaron

The K1000s are not headphones they are "Ear Speakers" :)

Impressions from the new K701/Ming Da owners (perhaps in a new thread)?

I hope to be relieving Braddo of his Talisman if all works out, so I can post how I find them at driving the 701s as well. And then Stygian can work out what amp to buy with his new 701s :evilgrin:

Took my first real adventure into head hifi and bought a pair of Senn HD600's and looking at a Consonance Cyber20 headphone amp to run them. Didn't have the guts to get the 650's but got a good price on the 600's second hand.

I'm a bit worried that I'll find it better than my main system!!

he K1000s are not headphones they are "Ear Speakers"

Fully aware of that fact.:) Driving them with a First Watt F1 seems to be the way to go for such creatures.

I doubt you would get the bass impact of a world class closed headphone like the Ultrasone Edition 9 over "ear speakers" though. Bit like comparing apples to oranges I suspect.

As Moondog has mentioned previously the Ultrasones driven by the Yamamoto are like hearing Magico Minis (only on/in your head). I haven't heard the Magicos so I'll have to take his word on that point.

Aaron

Fully aware of that fact.:) Driving them with a First Watt F1 seems to be the way to go for such creatures.

I doubt you would get the bass impact of a world class closed headphone like the Ultrasone Edition 9 over "ear speakers" though. Bit like comparing apples to oranges I suspect.

As Moondog has mentioned previously the Ultrasones driven by the Yamamoto are like hearing Magico Minis (only on/in your head). I haven't heard the Magicos so I'll have to take his word on that point.

Aaron

Sure, I was being light hearted. Your comment seemed to imply that you thought the Yamamoto would drive the K1000s well because it works well with the Edition 9s, which it is unlikely it would and that's what JCR was asking.

Your comment seemed to imply that you thought the Yamamoto would drive the K1000s well because it works well with the Edition 9s, which it is unlikely it would and that's what JCR was asking.

That was not how I intended my post to read, my apologies for any misunderstanding.

I DID want to alert Yamamoto owners or those interested in this headphone amp to the wonderful combination with Ultrasone Edition 9s. My sole source of music until my new Sonic Purity RS-5as are ready to leave the SGR nest.

If I had the money and the available time I would hunt down a pair of mint condition AKG ear speakers and a First Watt F1 to drive them with myself. I wouldn't mind a vintage Sansui TU-X1 tuner either but that is a different and very costly matter for another thread.

Aaron

Sure, I was being light hearted. Your comment seemed to imply that you thought the Yamamoto would drive the K1000s well because it works well with the Edition 9s, which it is unlikely it would and that's what JCR was asking.

Guys,

I just worked it out and have the AKG connected to my 47 Lab Gain Card and they seem to like each others. Will try matching with other SETs I have got.

Thanks you guys for the ideas.... :)

DSC_5782.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Old pair of Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamics. These were really beyond my apprentice budget back in the early 80's, but I really wanted something good, so saved up. Used a lot when I was in a flat, and again when the kids were little and when doing live recordings. Still sound and look great, and for the amount they get used now, no point in looking around for anything better. Only issue for me was the annoying sound the ball-joints made while initially adjusting, but a little graphite grease fixed that!

Anyone tried these?

I don't own any headphones, never have

Not sure why, they just don't do it for me

I can understand that. I only returned to 'phones after over 15 years away from them. And I used to love them back in the 70's and 80's. A very different experience from listening to speakers.

I now enjoy both, however I do not regard them as substitutes for each other but rather as different experiences depending upon my mood.