~Samuel~

Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

Hello whitenoise.

Ideally i'd like to upgrade everything, new source, headphones and an amplifier.

Im unsure on a CD player or amplifier but i'd love to try a pair of the ATH AD2000's. An SPL Phonitor or other high end headphone amplifier would be great but being a recently poor graduate they are all out of reach :P

Hopefully there might be some tax money to spend within a few weeks :D

Hi All,

New member here.

Just recently (end of last year) got back into headphones after a 30 year or so break !!

First heard a pair of AT AD-900s in a friend's system. Into HP output of an integrated amp.

Liked what I heard and bought a pair from Headphonics. Use them for gaming & music on my PC.

Did quite a lot of research, and got totally confused by the plethora of options out there.

Ended up going with the following:

Coax digital out from a Toshiba DVD player (my NAD CD player decided to give up the ghost after 13 years of getting hammered !!),

into a Meier Audio StageDAC, into a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball OTL valve HP amp, into Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur 600 ohm cans.

Using Blue Jeans cables for IC & coax.

Headphonesetup001.jpg

BeyerDT880600ohmMANUFAKTUR002.jpg

BeyerDT880600ohmMANUFAKTUR003.jpg

Had a friend in WA build a box for the Crack from swamp Kauri (NZ wood) offcuts he had lying around.

Carbon dated at approx. 15,000 years old !!

Love the sound. Using 60s CBS 12BH7 driver & a 60s CBS 6AS7G in the Crack.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Raksasa
formatting

John, that is a gorgeous setup you have. The wood on the Crack looks stunning, I'm sure it looks better still in person, very jealous.

Do you use the crossfeed much in the stageDAC?

Guy

John, that is a gorgeous setup you have. The wood on the Crack looks stunning, I'm sure it looks better still in person, very jealous.

Do you use the crossfeed much in the stageDAC?

Guy

Thanks Guy.

I leave the crossfeed on all the time with HP - it doesn't seem to do anything on modern stereo recordings,

but works well on old recordings that are very LEFT / RIGHT. I love it.

Haven't really done critical listening in speaker crossfeed mode. Just put it back to normal for speakers.

StageDAC has 2 outputs: 1 variable (goes into power amp section of NAD 317) & 1 fixed (into Bottlehead Crack).

Makes me interested in the SPL Phonitor with it's interesting crossfeed, speaker angle, etc controls.

Also have some compononent upgrades to go into Crack: film caps for DC couplers, better RCA inputs and a new pot.

Have been slack with that tho' eyeroll.gif.

John

Edited by Raksasa
formatting

I have a Meier amp that has a cross feed in it and think it is something that all headphone users should have access to, but I don't use it all the time. It a bit of a shame that Jan Meier stopped production of the Cross-1.

I may get the opportunity to audition a Phonitor later this year, probably never buy one but it would be interesting to hear it.

Keep us posted about the upgrades, thats if they ever happen :)

Guy

This is my set up as of recently. We just moved in so the speaker placement is nowhere near optimal but it will have to do for now.

desktop_low.jpg

Edited by Lord Mike

Bugger the speakers, what about the Phonitor?

This is my set up as of recently. We just moved in so the speaker placement is nowhere near optimal but it will have to do for now.

desktop_low.jpg

. . . what about the Phonitor?

+ 1 on impressions of the SPL.

John

Edited by Raksasa
formatting

The Phonitor's had the Burson opamp transplant and I'm still not embedded with enough time to give a definitive conclusion on the sound.

(I tend to quite measured and patient in my assessment of audio componentry as to avoid the typical head-fi fanboi hysteria)

For now however, I will say it is somewhat less front forward in its presentation compared to the Weiss DAC202. If you're interested in the

crossfeed implementation, you will be reassured it is not a gimmick. Also, I find pairing it to the right can is as important with the Phonitor

as it is with other amps. I'm finding the SPL/HD25 combo is killer, whilst at this stage I'm leaning towards the Weiss for the LCD-2.

Ah I forgot about this thread - I have a new setup and will get some pics either this afternoon or tomorrow

Ah I forgot about this thread - I have a new setup and will get some pics either this afternoon or tomorrow

Thats the spirit :P

Have been meaning to take a photo too, will try to this week.