Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

2 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Those Cetrons and Red hots look......well Red Hot! You'll need to crank the AC up. So happy that this great amp is back where it belongs. If I didn't have Mogwai, I'd keep it. There's also a couple of Pendants for sale around the place and they're made by Amps&Sound. Supposed to be very good with ZMF (obviously) and Audeze.

I could not thank you enough Neil. If not for you, I might not have gotten another LF339i again because the thought of having it shipped from China is too much for me. You're right it's back to where it belongs because I've always love the La Figaro 339 and the I version just seems to be improved in many ways - to me.

Edited by Odyssey

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

@Odyssey looks good ! how does the 339i with those current valves compare to the WA22 ? And is the dual volume pot annoying ?

Ray, I've always preferred my old LF339 over the Wa22 because there's more bite to the tone. It's also more powerful and feels forceful. Wa22 just feels smoother and tamer but is also very good. Both are keeper for me. For some reason, I'm more keen on these 2 than my previous Glenn OTL amp and Studio Six, 2 very superb tube amps too. This realisation occurred only after I sold those 2 more expensive tube amps.

LF339i soundstage is wider than Wa22. There's a bass weight in the LF339i or non 'I' version that is not as felt on the Wa22. LF339i is more V shape across the spectrum. The highs are clear and sparkling and the bass tight and punchy. Wouldn't say that the mid is recess, just not as forward as the Wa22. Somehow this suits me better. LCD-3f sounds gorgeous with it.

I'm going to be putting Wa22 and LF339i side by side in the next 24 hours and will provide a more detailed impression. I can't compare the LF339 and LF339i until next week when I head back to Canberra.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

And is the dual volume pot annoying ?

Actually far from annoying! You get used to it pretty quickly and allows you to subtly change channel volumes. That can be helpful to solve other channel imbalance like tube/power differences, recording errors (early Steely Dan for example) and to cope with differential hearing loss (those oldies like me!). LF339i is dual mono, down to the two power inlets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

If anything happens to the Mogwai - I'd buy another LF339i in a heartbeat - now that all depends on how the A+S Bigger Ben sounds!

I'm going to be very interested in your 'small' Mogwai Se when it's time for you to relinquish it - hopefully not so soon. I don't need the Big Ben !

4 hours ago, Bengineer said:

New desk setup. Almost done. Was the baby's room, so I get pretty wallpaper.

20210125_130836.jpg

All beautiful gear speaker, monitor keyboard mouse and even the mouse pad!!!!

Best part of setup is your wall paper though :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

Wow, those speakers look huge. Good for nearfield?

Oh think it's my phone camera ..took using ultra wide angle ..it relatively small speaker 5" woofer... 17cm wide...

As said it's first setup. Not sure if it is good for nearfield.. but it sounds good to me :) hehe

• Like 1

Well, here I eat my words. I was running a fanless i5 dedicated Roon Nuc via my LAN. The Sonnet Hermes is a Roon endpoint and that is connected by I2S to the Morpheus. That runs XLR into the HPA4 which then feeds the Mogwai and the 006Ts. One volume control when all presets are done. Via remote!!! Mainly LCD-3 on HPA4 and Verite Open on Mogwai. Piano and orchestral through LR-700 Mk2. All good, sounds great!

Enter Innous Zenith MK2 as the Roon Core - immediate improvement in clarity, soundstage and detail retrieval. Everything sounds "bigger", more immediate, livelier. 

Enter Antipodes S40 as another Roon Core (thanks for the login Hugo @Indie Hi-Fi) and I can do quick A-B on exactly same headphones, same volume, same track by running Roon on two separate PCs.

S40, just better again. More of everything.

Damn that Hugo!

3 minutes ago, Ray H said:

@BlueOceanBoy Neil, make sure the Innuos has at least 50 or so hours on it. They sound kind of soft and cuddly at first. Clarity, detail etc. come later.

Agree Ray - this one as a MK2 has some decent hours on it from Hugo

1 hour ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Well it's official! - Hugo is a bad person! He has kindly let me demo at home two setups for the digital front end. He knows my feelings about streamers vs only using Roon Nuc Core directly and has persuaded me to try the Antipodes S series and Innous Zenith. @Indie Hi-Fi

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

I knew you'd get suckered into his trap :P

Looks the goods though!

Hows the quarter inch BD?

11 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Hows the quarter inch BD?

First people comment on my rack and now the size of my "Black Dragon" - what is happening to this forum? Have to give it a bit more of a listen now the "front end" is sorted. Initial listen sounded as good as Meze - so not that bad!

• Haha 2

Glad you are enjoying it Neill, the new streamers available do really have excellent sound quality, if you are using a pc into even a good dac, your source quality is significantly compromised IME.

The Zenith mkiii is the new/current version and supposedly sounds significantly better than mkii, so don’t discard the innuos.

Edited by Ray H

Guys my new high end system. Just imported from Japan. Hekse sounds great from it. My new end game. Would you believe that I bought this when I came to Australia in 1988 and it's still working and in mint condition. Still have a cassette inside. Bought it from a store next to Audio Connections in Parramatta Road then.

IMG_1760.jpg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Guys my new high end system. Just imported from Japan. Hekse sounds great from it. My new end game. Would you believe that I bought this when I came to Australia in 1988 and it's still working and in mint condition. Still have a cassette inside. Bought it from a store next to Audio Connections in Parramatta Road then.

IMG_1760.jpg

I arrived in Australia in 1988 too! Coincidence?