Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

16 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Awesome looking amp. What tubes do you have installed?

It was the tubes that came with the amp when I purchased it.

Its the RCA 5693 driver and RCA 6AS7GA power tubes.

Yes, it is definitely very pretty to look at, I can have my favourite tunes on and simply stare at the amp and literally do nothing else.

52 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Listening to this at the moment. Loving the LCD-X.

IMG_1504.jpg

How do you find the lcd-x v the lcd-3 ?

And is that a forza audioworks cable ?

Edited by Ray H

35 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

That looks like a Forza Claire with the black transparent jacket.

Correct. You are very good in being able to tell by just looking at it. ?

It is the copper version though not the hybrid, so warmer which might suit the LCD-X better. I also have the Claire Hybrid in clear sleeve colour. That's a mixture of silver and copper. So I've 2 type of cables to try for my Audeze and Verite.

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

How do you find the lcd-x v the lcd-3 ?

I was asked that on Head-Fi as well. This morning when I woke up, I decided to reply but I'm truly well past a straight serious discussion. I rather have some fun when talking about head-fi because fun is the reason I'm in on this .... plus the fact it sounds so @#$% good. ?

So with a little tongue in cheek, I shall extract what I wrote there to be published here..... 

A different take on LCD-X vs LCD-3F

I shall preface here that LCD-X is to Spring what LCD-3F is to Autumn. Both are my favourite seasons of the year.

LCD-X
Spring is the celebration of a clear season. Winter has just passed. The cold is left behind. The flower buds are starting to bloom. Birds are leaving their nests and flying cheerily in the skies. Bears have left their woods and are starting to frolic in the rivers, catching salmons. What a sight. Even the air is fresh. I bet the ears are hearing better. You start to breather better. However there's a catch. Asthma sufferers dread the coming of hay fevers. Ah.... nothings perfect. So is Spring. :) In this context, LCD-X is just like Spring. It's clear, full of details, more up front compared to Autumn that's for sure. However bass is still as prominent as LCD-3f but with a slight difference in flavour. Just like the different flowers of Spring and Autumn, bass presentation is very similar but slightly different. There is no doubt I like LCD-X, just as I like Spring.

LCD-3f
Autumn is melancholy and to be honest, that is the mood I like to be in sometimes. Melancholy is a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause. Humans sometimes like to be in this mood. Delve in pensive sadness. No reason to smile or bother to. Perhaps a shot of whiskey helps here - or maybe a whole bottle. :ksc75smile: However the changing of leave colours is a sight to behold. To me that is like heaven. Green turns to yellow to orange to red to crimson blood red - eventually they will drop with the coming of Winter. So LCD-3f is more relaxed compared to Spring - I mean LCD-X.? Sound is more recessed, especially when coming immediately from LCD-X.

So there you go. The 2 seasons of my life and I love them both. Just don't get me started on Winter and Summer. :beyersmile:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I then expand on that by referencing a review on LCD-X vs LCD-3f done sometime ago.

Strangely this review done in 2014 shares my views. :thinking:
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/audeze-lcd-x-headphones/

Tellingly, this statement from that reviews sums it up well.
.......the X is slightly more revealing of recordings in general. Especially listening to digital recordings, that can imply both upsides and downsides depending on the quality of the recording. Those who prefer to have every musical detail revealed – or those like recording engineers who need to hear every detail – will love the X’s prowess. By comparison, the 3s are a touch more forgiving and lean just slightly to the side of warmth. I find this most evident in female vocal passages or in some recordings of horns.

The reviewer also said he likes the LCD-X with the ALO Audio Studio Six. I have heard that combination in my own cave and I like it too but truth is I also like it with the Burson Conductor CV2+, Woo Audio WA22 and lastly with La Figaro 339 and a behaving quiet pairs of Tung Sol 6SJ7gt mesh and Tung Sol 5998 - it's shockingly good because of the warmth introduced by LF339.

So I'll keep both the LCD-3f and LCD-X. I have already contacted MiniDisc to have the yoke assembly and headband replace for the LCD-3f, together with a new pair of leather earpads. It will be as good as new then. Will I have the LCD-4 joining my stable? Probably but not so soon. I have enough Audeze at the moment. :beyersmile:

1 minute ago, Ray H said:

Love it !

Very descriptive and whimsical, yet precise as well.

One of the genuinely most interesting audio descriptions I have ever read.

Hahaha.... I really need to reach for the bottle of whisky now ?

... but thank you ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Yes I'll jump on too. V interested to get your thoughts on LCD-X vs LCD-3. I love LCD-3 on LF339i and ALO S6 - just brings a smile to my face ?

Yes Neil, I can confirm that LCD-3f is amazing on LF339 and Studio Six. Glad you're enjoying it. ?

It is still in my possession. Not mine though, kindly loaned to me by @astr0n0m1nus

They have good detail. Open airy vibe. Bass isn't as lean as some make it out. Similar-ish to the HD800S, but with the Planar feel. Comfy!

If I was to buy a Hifiman it would either be the cheap Sundara and accept the builder quality, or a HE1000Se or so, that feel well built. Arya / Ananda just squeek a bit much for my liking.

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

It is still in my possession. Not mine though, kindly loaned to me by @astr0n0m1nus

They have good detail. Open airy vibe. Bass isn't as lean as some make it out. Similar-ish to the HD800S, but with the Planar feel. Comfy!

If I was to buy a Hifiman it would either be the cheap Sundara and accept the builder quality, or a HE1000Se or so, that feel well built. Arya / Ananda just squeek a bit much for my liking.

Cheer, Bengineer! Been thinking about obtaining an Ayra one of these days!

• Like 1

Having LCD-X and Arya would be a very good contrast. I like both headphones. A logical upgrade on those 2 would be LCD-4 and HE1000se. You need the right combination of dac and amp that will provide the synergy that is pleasing to your ears though. The key word here is 'your ears'. ?

I've heard LCD-4 at MiniDisc and I like it but then equally I still enjoy LCD-3f. I've bought LCD-3f twice. ?

How things have shifted for me. There was a time I love my HD800 which I bought new from A2A in 2017 and then subsequently my ZMF Verite LTD Pheasant wood, bought new from Zach of ZMF. Lately though, I'm gravitating towards the Audezes. I still have the HD800 and Verite.

On 06/12/2020 at 1:11 PM, Odyssey said:

So there you go. The 2 seasons of my life and I love them both. Just don't get me started on Winter and Summer. :beyersmile:

Really feel we have to hear about Winter and Summer! Does that involve HD800 and VO?

• Haha 1

Haha I haven't thought about Winter and Summer. Although on quick introspection, HD800 could be Winter - cold and clinical. ?

As for Summer, it needs a 'hot' headphone.  I mean 41 degrees kind of hot or Brazilian samba kind of hot. If you can think of one, let me know. 

TH900 Mk2 that I heard at the A2A stand at the Sydney HiFi show a few years ago is very bassy. I wouldn't call it hot. That same venue, I also heard the Grado GS2000e, which I thought has a light airy tone. The lightness of the headphone and large ear cups was what interest me. That same show I heard the HiFiMan Susvara on Woo Audio WA33 and that was quite startling.  It was surreal.  Miss out on hearing the Sennheiser HE 1 because there were too many people queuing to listen to it. 

Hmm Sennheiser HE 1 could be Summer because it's hot ! Well it looks hot with the marble block and rising tubes. Hot in price too I guess. ?

The Arya is growing on me. The weight and subsequent comfort is a nice change. I've gone from 500-600g cans for the last year. Slap them on your head and they comfy enough. Their slam is fine at higher volumes too, but as you turn the volume down it sort of drops off a bit relative to the rest. Needs some juice into them to get the big diaphragm moving properly I guess.

Flipside the Autuer has that addicted ZMF sound. Unique decay and the way it spreads (seamlessly) its soundstage out. That big wooden chamber. The Arya is a bit more rigid in its soundstage, less natural. Hard to describe....