- Sennheiser HD800S

- Sennheiser HD820

Amps/DAC:

- Matrix Mini i PRO DAC
- Matrix Quattro balanced amp
- Behringer Ultracurve EQ/DSP
- Custom made tube amp: SANCTORUM by Retro-Thermionic

yZsweRF4IVDDSzTVOVZy_LtHeQO19g8TJJN8-3mrouc.jpg

My base and speaker box maker Don made this base after spotting the timber at timber yard. The base is one of a kind and great looking and complements an excellent sounding HP amp. Glad you like it. 

All the tube HP amps I have made and sold over the years I'm left with none. But I do use an Oatley K272C modified. Portable and good sounding. It also goes OS with me and drives my closed back Beyerdynamics 440s for both music and (best of all) moving watching while blocking out plane and human noise. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 2

Newly acquired Beyer T90 from @was_a. This hp sounds superb. So much details and resolution. Not as much as the HD800 but in a way more musical and fun. Bass has more oomph, vocals have a rich, clear tone and high notes are sparkly.

At $290 for an almost new pair of T90, it's a real bargain.

IMG-1713.JPG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Newly acquired Beyer T90 from @was_a. This hp sounds superb. So much details and resolution. Not as much as the HD800 but in a way more musical and fun. Bass has more oomph, vocals have a rich, clear tone and high notes are sparkly.

At $290 for an almost new pair of T90, it's a real bargain.

IMG-1713.JPG

I see hold the 800s in high regard. I have the 700s and think them great. I'd only buy new and can't justify the cost of the 800. Not only that I rarely use HPs. 

20 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I see hold the 800s in high regard. I have the 700s and think them great. I'd only buy new and can't justify the cost of the 800. Not only that I rarely use HPs. 

That's surprising Mc, seeing you make a lot of tube amps for others. ? 

• Like 1

On 9 September 2018 at 9:54 AM, Odyssey said:

That's surprising Mc, seeing you make a lot of tube amps for others. ? 

Its about the hobby of audio electronics and particularly tubes which drives me. After saying that when I am on phones I do enjoy them and do marvel at the 800s (meant 700s) above my other two good phones. 

Edited by mwhouston

• 2 weeks later...

On 28/09/2018 at 11:16 PM, raband said:

In the middle of redoing the system a while ago.

Really need to offload a few sets :S

gHMDwDf.thumb.jpg.9bd51a54c6e6ebf87471e602478ef8d9.jpg

Dude you have a crazy amount of gear.

Let me know if you're interested in any trades!

On 04/10/2018 at 4:14 AM, mwhouston said:

I think sterophile may have reviewed this some years back. Looks smart. 

Indeed, you have a good memory!

It's had some hardcore revisions since the review they wrote. But still overall the same deal.

• Like 1

Indeed, you have a good memory!

It's had some hardcore revisions since the review they wrote. But still overall the same deal.

stereonet did a review on that recently no?

Headphones.com.au has a sweet deal on these atm.

Edited by alphanumerix1

11 hours ago, alphanumerix1 said:

stereonet did a review on that recently no?

Headphones.com.au has a sweet deal on these atm.

Yep sure did (I wrote it).

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-vincent-audio-khv-1-hybrid-headphone-amplifier

At a price that's hard to beat I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'll be buying my own KHV-1 Hybrid Headphone Amplifier to sit proudly on the desk.

It's kinda the dangerous part of reviewing gear.. Some of it sucks, some of it is OK, and sometimes you find a certain piece that you now can't imagine living without. First world problems I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone, no one has setups to share? I'm sure most have updated their set ups or some who have started could post something, alas I'm still waiting for gear to arrive in order to have something to put up. Its great to get ideas or to see the different setups. Headfi has gained a lot of momentum in the last 12 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, continuing with the Jotunheim theme from Odyssey I acquired my Jotunheim and LCD-3s after lots of research online, stereophile, other Hi-Fi mags and SNA forums. I am very happy with the results to date, main characteristics to me have been detail and volume without fatigue (but the LCD-3s are physically heavy so I replaced the standard headband with the carbon fibre model). Oh, and the LCD-3s look and feel superb. I did try the LCD-3s with my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and it was not so good at all, a real disappointment after the Jot. Schiit have made a conscious decision not to go with MQA and their Multibit DAC in the Jot still gave a great performance. The Brooklyn seems to compliment my Oppo PM-1s. The Jot and LCD-3s are now in my study system, as per photo. 

4D5A7925-8A24-4765-A9F9-8DCD7E962554.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m in a bit of a transition at the moment. Going from tubes to SS and DIY to store bought. Not bad so far, but something has to be said about tubes done well. 

85C5EDF3-47CB-4EA3-A0D6-40CE527A3423.jpeg