Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

1 hour ago, Galactic Soap said:

@Cougar2465 - Nice setup! What are your thoughts on the LCDi4, and the LCDi4 vs Utopia combo?

I like the LCDi4 so much that if I could only have one, I'd pick the LCDi4 due to their portability which I can listn to them just about anywhere. And they sound great too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

534EB258-751B-4BC6-9BB5-1D4E5B5C0DCE.thumb.jpeg.40b927062449b01d863e81c77a9b6c7c.jpeg

My setup as of December last year. The stack on the RHS is currently under going and rebuild and rehousing. It’ll have twin PSU’s, built in USB to i2s interface and a balanced output stage using some Burson V6 opamps. Will be fitted in an aluminium case similar to the one shown in the centre of the pic. I’m also building another balanced hybrid headphone amp which will use 12au7’s as the input stage and have mosfet for the output. The Gustard x20 pro is connected to my main pc (no shown) via a Pink Faun pci-e to i2s interface. Amp on the left was built by a fellow member (you all should know who he is by his trademark brass plaques) and is based on a Bottlehead Crack. Recently rolled a 5998 tube into this.... sublime...

15 minutes ago, Benjet said:

534EB258-751B-4BC6-9BB5-1D4E5B5C0DCE.thumb.jpeg.40b927062449b01d863e81c77a9b6c7c.jpeg

My setup as of December last year. The stack on the RHS is currently under going and rebuild and rehousing. It’ll have twin PSU’s, built in USB to i2s interface and a balanced output stage using some Burson V6 opamps. Will be fitted in an aluminium case similar to the one shown in the centre of the pic. I’m also building another balanced hybrid headphone amp which will use 12au7’s as the input stage and have mosfet for the output. The Gustard x20 pro is connected to my main pc (no shown) via a Pink Faun pci-e to i2s interface. Amp on the left was built by a fellow member (you all should know who he is by his trademark brass plaques) and is based on a Bottlehead Crack. Recently rolled a 5998 tube into this.... sublime...

Nice gear mate, and plenty of options.  Love it.  Great to hear more positive feedback with Mark's work, and he's a nice guy to boot!

5 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Nice gear mate, and plenty of options.  Love it.  Great to hear more positive feedback with Mark's work, and he's a nice guy to boot!

Yeah, he’s been a great help. Pretty much responsible for getting me into tubes, although it’ll probably bankrupt me ;)

On 05/01/2011 at 5:18 PM, Batty said:

Here's what I use.

The amp is a kit from Oatley Electronics, sound is good but valves tend to ring if knocked.

the DAC is a Kit too, this time from Hong Kong

Phones are Sennie HD414s

The Media Player is a Creative Zen X-Fi wireless so can stream from the PC too.

Oatley kit(s) on steroids

B655EA7E-03DF-41CE-A76D-CF9578191057.jpeg

My current temp setup with new secondhand Oppo 83. This is Sanctorum cypress base now with new Psvane 12AU7 "T" series MKII gold pin. This combo sounds excellent. Phones are Sennheiser 700s.   Usually I have a Pi server and HDMI DAC here or even a second TT and battery phono stage. 

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

My current temp setup with new secondhand Oppo 83. This is Sanctorum cypress base now with new Psvane 12AU7 "T" series MKII gold pin. This combo sounds excellent. Phones are Sennheiser 700s.   Usually I have a Pi server and HDMI DAC here or even a second TT and battery phono stage. 

image.jpeg

I've got an Oppo 103 that's sitting unused in my home theater. Might pull it out and give it a whirl on the Sanctum.

4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

image.jpeg

MMMMMMM 5998

IMG_0286.jpg

1 hour ago, Benjet said:

Oatley kit(s) on steroids

B655EA7E-03DF-41CE-A76D-CF9578191057.jpeg

Where did you get the battery holder from?, I have just ordered the K272X and am going to build it into a nice chassis.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Batty said:

Where did you get the battery holder from?, I have just ordered the K272X and am going to build it into a nice chassis.

Jaycar. If you want to give the amp a big boost in both SQ and output power, I would recommend using one of these Burson opamps. They are not cheap, but very good. If you decide to go that way, power it directly off the 12+ supply and bypass the voltage regulator.

Edited by Benjet

50 minutes ago, Batty said:

I have 2 V5i op amps.

I found one very good in a K272C. Very smooth sound. I did have trouble getting a good sound from them in other devices but they are great here.  

Edited by mwhouston

11 hours ago, Batty said:

I have 2 V5i op amps.

The V5i’s are nice, I had one in the output stage of one on of my Dacs. I liked it until I got a V6 vivid. While the V5i had a warm sound the V6 vivid was more revealing. Found so much more detail to the music while using these. Another thing that was a huge improvement is it’s power output. A single V6 could drive my HE-500 reasonably well and two, as in my balanced amp I built, drives the pants off them. The V5i doesn’t have anywhere near the output of the V6’s. In the end, I opted for 2 V6 classics for this amp. The Vivids were a bit too vivid in the design and the classics offered a warmer, less fatiguing presentation. Anyhow good luck with whatever you chose and I hope I sounds great. Send me some pics of the final product.

29 minutes ago, Benjet said:

The V5i’s are nice, I had one in the output stage of one on of my Dacs. I liked it until I got a V6 vivid. While the V5i had a warm sound the V6 vivid was more revealing. Found so much more detail to the music while using these. Another thing that was a huge improvement is it’s power output. A single V6 could drive my HE-500 reasonably well and two, as in my balanced amp I built, drives the pants off them. The V5i doesn’t have anywhere near the output of the V6’s. In the end, I opted for 2 V6 classics for this amp. The Vivids were a bit too vivid in the design and the classics offered a warmer, less fatiguing presentation. Anyhow good luck with whatever you chose and I hope I sounds great. Send me some pics of the final product.

Price of the two?

My headphone collection and amp getting even more crazy now . I do admit i love finding more and more in the recording and having hp properly the cheapest way to experience it .
My sources , front end , cable now so good can hear details i never thought it was there before.
Best so far come from Studer A820 R2R playing direct copy of Master tape . Also my YG now become 3.2 but have to go to second room hehe. Not enough time to enjoy music but both rooms now give me music the way i never thought possible.
I will start selling some of the hp gears next few weeks, they so good I don’t even know which to sell but rather someone else can enjoy instead of just there to collecting dust .
Here the Sonja 3.2 in second room b29df0cfa8af4b5a69722b301ece8935.jpeg

• Like 5