naim CD5x worth it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim1;124117 wrote:
My suspicious nature would suggest that Top HiFi has sold it in their shop outside TradeMe, and have knocked the price up to ensure that no-one bids....

Exactly. That's what I do because TradeMe charge you for withdrawing an auction.

curious_george;124197 wrote:
Fark me. Just got in trouble with TradeMe for doing this. Obviously someone wasn't happy.... Yikes!

Fair enough, it's trademe's site and people agree to play by the rules when listing. If that means the seller cops a fee when withdrawing an item then so be it. What would happen if I actually chose to buy an item at an inflated price that had already been sold through other means?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people selling through alternative channels but if you do so then withdraw the item from sale and pay the price. My guess is that this is a rule to prevent people from using trademe to advertise goods and then selling them on the side to avoid the commission.

IMO traders who indulge in this type of behaviour should be given the 'three strikes and your out' message.

CG - this isn't a personal dig at you, just my opinion on the practice.

got tinnitus;124233 wrote:
Strange Top HiFi did what they did.

To pull an auction before close it's, like, 3bucks!!

Chump change.

From the email I received from TradeMe,

"When you list an item for sale on Trade Me, you should do so with the intention of selling this item through the site, and you should not advertise the goods in other venues. The reason for this is that it is very frustrating for bidders when goods are no longer available. As such auctions must be allowed to run their course and contact details can only be exchanged between the winning bidder and the seller once the auction closes.

If the item is no longer available for a legitimate reason (such as newly discovered damage) please withdraw the item through the site in the future. Please note that the withdrawal feature is only to be used in extreme circumstances. If sellers are found to be taking advantage of the withdrawal feature, their site privileges will be reviewed."

:eek:

Hi guys.

There seems to be a little bit of interest around this so I thought I would clarify. There was interest outside of trademe and the CD5x was on demo, I didn't want to pull the auction in case it came back, but at the same time didn't want to sell it twice. A couple of weeks ago we had that happen with another CD player. I guess it's a pit fall of using more than one avenue to sell equipment.

Top Hi-Fi, CG,

I have to agree with Trademe. Its a bit unfair to advertise on TradeMe and then sell privately/otherwise while benefiting from their "advertising".

If it was being advertised on TradeMe while being demoed, then as the demo-ee, I would expect the shop to inform me of this (which may well have happened).

I would also expect that the TradeMe ad would say it was being offered elsewhere too.

Just my 2cents worth...and yes, I'm bitter and twisted from having this sort of double sale happen to me :mad: ;):D

Newbie;124272 wrote:
Top Hi-Fi, CG,

I have to agree with Trademe. Its a bit unfair to advertise on TradeMe and then sell privately/otherwise while benefiting from their "advertising".

If it was being advertised on TradeMe while being demoed, then as the demo-ee, I would expect the shop to inform me of this (which may well have happened).

I would also expect that the TradeMe ad would say it was being offered elsewhere too.

Just my 2cents worth...and yes, I'm bitter and twisted from having this sort of double sale happen to me :mad:
;):D

Fair point, will keep that in mind on future auctions.

We all want the best price, depending on what role you take -- buyer or seller, but how to achieve that is sometimes a fraught process, especially when more than one sales channel is being used.

If the seller is explicit in his listing that this is what he is doing, then this shouldn't be a problem.

I recently listed a DAC on TM and also made it available thru AudioEnz at a slight discount to AudioEnz members. However I stated at the TM auction I have advertised the unit elsewhere and I retain the right to pull the auction unless bidding had started.

I couldn't think of a fairer way to go about it in the event it did sell outside TM.

One other issue that Top Hifi may wish to consider is that while they refer to "interest outside of TradeMe" it is wholly possible that such interest may have been stimulated by their auction on TradeMe - especially since they clearly (and obviously with intent) identify themselves by their TradeMe name. I too was watching this auction closely, and while I was tempted to contact Top Hifi directly I did not, simply because it seemed to be outside the principles of TradeMe. I too feel ripped off by their action.

Tim1;124307 wrote:
One other issue that Top Hifi may wish to consider is that while they refer to "interest outside of TradeMe" it is wholly possible that such interest may have been stimulated by their auction on TradeMe - especially since they clearly (and obviously with intent) identify themselves by their TradeMe name. I too was watching this auction closely, and while I was tempted to contact Top Hifi directly I did not, simply because it seemed to be outside the principles of TradeMe. I too feel ripped off by their action.

You should have called directly if you were really motivated... You snooze, you lose.

Fairfax Media don't care about principles. The rules are there to look after their interests.

While I don't feel ripped off in anyway (I certainly wasn't planning on buying the CD5x); I am a watcher, buyer and seller of naim equipment (three items so far this year) on trademe and the seller's actions in this instance, means that if i am ever interested in any gear they may have for sale I will approach with caution.

King Size;124317 wrote:
While I don't feel ripped off in anyway (I certainly wasn't planning on buying the CD5x); I am a watcher, buyer and seller of naim equipment (three items so far this year) on trademe and the seller's actions in this instance, means that if i am ever interested in any gear they may have for sale I will approach with caution.

You know who they are. Just talk to them.

Online communication is great, but nothing beats direct communication.

got tinnitus;124295 wrote:
I recently listed a DAC on TM and also made it available thru AudioEnz at a slight discount to AudioEnz members. However I stated at the TM auction I have advertised the unit elsewhere and I retain the right to pull the auction unless bidding had started.

I couldn't think of a fairer way to go about it in the event it did sell outside TM.

When I first joined TM when I withdrew an auction* (not long after I joined) I got a 'if you do this a few more times you may have your account terminated etc' response from TM. Yet when I did it the other week it was all fine. Is this a change in policy, or was I just getting a new joiner 'we discourage this behaviour' response, and now I've been around a bit they're okay with it....:confused:

* Bidding hadn't started I don't seem to recall