All yours for a pittance of $19000!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they must have the start bid with one too many zeroes! Even if they're in superb condition they can only be worth $5 avge at max. I guess there could be the odd rarity in there - you never know. :)

Although I generally have a scorched earth policy when it comes to collecting LP's ( leave none behind) , in this case I'd make an exception.$5 for the lot would be generous and even then I'd lose out- would cost me more in tip fees .

Slight sidetrack- a work colleague told me yesterday that she had a box of old LP's in her attic.A bystander said " oh they'll be worth a fortune now".I find this a lot in fact; people think that old vinyl = instant fortune.

Still , the trader on TM has some David Soul so someone will get some classics.:P

Strange, most of the lps they've listed are probably 50c throw aways yet below in the questions & answers they acknowledge having some Floyd, Hendrix LZep etc. They're the first ones that should be on any list.

For the number of lps the buy now is not ridiculous if it contained the right titles. This one doesn't look like a starter.

NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN A COLLECTION LIKE THIS.

Unfortunately collections like this are the norm.

KevinO is spot-on, this is a motley collection, more trouble than its worth.

Speaking of lack of depreciation...

There's a pair of Stax electrostatics down south going for more than they retailed for some twenty plus years ago.

My collection is 3000+ and its tiny compared with some Ive seen.

I bought a few records in 1991 from a collector in Ponsonby. He had a room full of LPs, well over 6,000 & these were his double ups! He took me to his (airconditioned) basement which held another 20,000+ records (he called it his 'Prime Collection')- I was gob smacked. He said his sister had a bigger collection! There was a steady stream of people buying records the hour or so I was there as he advertised in the Trade & Exchange.

Does anybody here remember this guy? He was also on TV1 news in the late 90's complaining about the limited range of albums being imported into NZ (less than 12% of released albums in the US/UK).

He was selling his records for between $3 & $8- I bought 8 Miles Davis albums, and he let me pick the best copies (he had 10 copies of 'Kind of Blue)- all different pressings. I must admit that I had no idea which pressing was worth more, I just choose the LP in the best condition.

I was poor at the time, having just returned from OZ & in big debt otherwise I would have bought more. I wonder where he is now?

Owen Y;120114 wrote:
Strange, I must have somehow missed this guy... I've lived in the Ponsonby/Herne Bay area for 30yrs. What street, do you recall?

Unless, I've forgotten
:o

Im pretty sure it was either Crummer Road or Williamson Ave, on the right (heading towards Town) on the flat just before you head up the hill. The house was a green villa (run down) from memory. I called back about a year later but no-one was home. (I used to live on Selbourne Street, Grey Lynn & can remeber being releived that the street was close as I had a major hangover & only $50 in my pocket that was a millimetre away from being spent on cheap beer not 5 hours earlier!)

I wish I could remember his nme. He appearred on a TV 1 news item about the the recording industry & an action group of record collectors who were lobbing the companies to import a greater variety of music- he didnt say much. The leader of the action group who did most of the talking was a large man with a goatee beard.

Given my poor memory, Ive done well so far- NOT!

hopeman;119899 wrote:
The seller respond "due to TM rules..."

I wonder who will pay 20K for records even without seeing it.

I had someone get sniffy over a fridge I had for sale on TM for ~1000, intimating that people would be stupid to buy it without seeing it's condition. I mentioned the 'TM rules' bit and he said 'never heard of them'. So I quoted them back word for word from the T&C. It's just one of those things - don't like the rules, don't play the game. TM is all about trust, even though there are consumer protection laws in place, it's still about trust. Can't or won't trust? Don't play. Me? I trust TM (so far), but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd trust eBay (or it's denizens).

But in this case I agree. For 20k I'd want to see a listing of every record, condition, pressing etc etc before going near it.

nixon76;120128 wrote:
I trust TM (so far), but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd trust eBay (or it's denizens).

Dont know wether I've been just lucky but all of the problems I've had with faulty(warped/dished)lps with ebay sellers have all been quickly solved.

A couple have just sent replacements FOC and another couple gave me store credit to the value of my purchase as they couldn't supply another copy.

I've never been asked to send the faulty item back, the seller has always taken my word on trust.

My son however has been ripped of 3 times on TM with non supply of goods or items with blatant faults not listed in the auction and no refund.

11thNAMR;120126 wrote:
Im pretty sure it was either Crummer Road or Williamson Ave, on the right (heading towards Town) on the flat just before you head up the hill. The house was a green villa (run down) from memory.

[sNIPPED]

Given my poor memory, Ive done well so far- NOT!

Well done, better memory than mine...Williamson is wide & Crummer is narrow, sounds like the former as Crummer goes up & down a bit... well never mind, I think I must have given up chasing record collections by then.

Incidentally, back on orig topic, that Tr Me listing shows only about 1300 records I reckon (just to be pedantic...35mm per 10 LPs tightly packed) :)

That's $15 per LP... dre*ming.