Nakamichi RX202

Yup,i remember seeing an RX-505 in action at Acoustix way back when...a sight to behold. While everyone was thinking up flashy ways to reverse the head in stock Autoreverse decks...Nakamichi said "What the hell....lets rotate the Tape instead". The rest as they say is "Audio History". :)

Someone should start a new thread. Where were you in '86.

Me, I was in New York city. I never got to go to a gig at CBGBs, but I did wander through it during the day. :( Although I did go to the Blue Note Club, :cool: and I did get to score a seat in the gods at the Met... :)

I wonder if there are any amongst us who were just twinkles in their parent's eyes?

Ernie;117034 wrote:
I forgot how tiresome the cassette deck was. Cueing up was so 1986.

FUTURIST !

:P

I love tapes, got a box of used once Sonys and TDKs the other day.

Crap recordings but some great tapes like Sony Metal masters.

:D

I always considered tapes to be lo-fi portable music, the same way I use the mp3 format today. Actually, I still have my old yellow water-resistant portable Sony walkman cassette deck...

And then I bought a half-decent tape deck last year off Trade Me as an experiment. I found that, along with the rest of my gear, I actually enjoy the experience of cassette playback at home. It's still not hifi, but its nowhere near as hissy and horrible as I remember it being in the 80s and at least I can enjoy a lot of music that I don't have on CD and albums that never made it to the digital age.

luckiestmanalive;117067 wrote:
I always considered tapes to be lo-fi portable music, the same way I use the mp3 format today. Actually, I still have my old yellow water-resistant portable Sony walkman cassette deck...

And then I bought a half-decent tape deck last year off Trade Me as an experiment. I found that, along with the rest of my gear, I actually enjoy the experience of cassette playback at home. It's still not hifi, but its nowhere near as hissy and horrible as I remember it being in the 80s and at least I can enjoy a lot of music that I don't have on CD and albums that never made it to the digital age.

:D give it a good demag,clean, and check the head alignment.. most people are surprised at what can be wrung out of this format.. 'still not Hi-Fi'??... beg to differ;)

ARIKIP;117028 wrote:
Yup,i remember seeing an RX-505 in action at Acoustix way back when...a sight to behold. While everyone was thinking up flashy ways to reverse the head in stock Autoreverse decks...Nakamichi said "What the hell....lets rotate the Tape instead". The rest as they say is "Audio History".
:)

Akai did it first though.......quite a few years before...

You can't call yourself a hi-fi fan without seeing one of these in action.

Innovative engineering and great entertainment.

;)

Yep, great entertainment.. fascinates most people..... especially when one goes off around head height and someone is standing close :D

Ernie;117029 wrote:
Remind me, what was the benefit of this design?

It looks cool, but did it make the tape sound better?

Benefit??... more chair time for not having to get up and turn the tape over:D

Totally cool to look at and in operation, and being a Nakamichi it sounded better anyway ;)

It will be interesting to see what this one fetches.. the last one induced a bit of a bun fight and hit around $300:p... for what is basically a BX150 with the flippy mech....

Still, has the often missing door cover which is good as that is irreplaceable....

In 86 I was in Singapore buying audio equipment. I had shopped around & finally decided on a Nakamichi like this. I went back to buy it and the shop was empty :confused: so I ended up buying one of those new fangled CD thingies a AR slope front and some Kef reference 102's which I still have - in hindsight I think it was a god send....

Ernie;117045 wrote:

I wonder if there are any amongst us who were just twinkles in their parent's eyes?

At one year old I had not been post-twinkle long, but I already had some musical favourites: Vivaldi, Sibelius and The Clash. Shortly after that I got into Suzanne Vega (played through a Sanyo micro system I believe). :D

beeman;117080 wrote:
In 86 I was in Singapore buying audio equipment. I had shopped around & finally decided on a Nakamichi like this. I went back to buy it and the shop was empty :confused: so I ended up buying one of those new fangled CD thingies a AR slope front and some Kef reference 102's which I still have - in hindsight I think it was a god send....

Send where?:P... in hindsight you missed out on experiencing the epitomy of cassette reproduction..;).. but seriously.. realise tapes aren't for everyone:D

beeman;117128 wrote:
Hey I use 1/4 inch tape all the time just not packed into a cassette

:D well, that was bumble on my part then.. I fully and unreservedly retract any remarks that may have offended ....

10" at 15ips is most impressive!... pity my B-77 needs a service.. in the meantime my little Fostex is standing in OK;)

No offence taken at all - yeah 10" 15ips studio masters - got an Ella concert & you can hear the audience talking - monstrous dynamics - looking for a couple of screw tight NAB's for the Otari 5050 so I can stand it up if you have any lying around? :rolleyes: