Tannoy Gold 12 Speakers.

Hi All, :)

These speakers strike me as being of great interest. ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=262835715#qna

Hopefully they will remain in NZ. :eek:

Regards.

==========================================

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to his own I guess, but I've always preferred vintage Wharfdales to Tannoys.

15" Tannoys, in 1.5m high GRF Autograph enclosures... didn't do it for me.

However... many out there disagree ;)

May your New Year be filled with music & audio treats :)

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to these speakers but surely you could do better spending 2k on something else that is newer? Speaker design, materials etc has progressed a lot since these Tannoy's were made?

Please enlighten me!!

Papa Hemi;112879 wrote:
what Wharfdales Owen?

I listened to Wharfdale Airedales (15'+8"+3" tweet) a number of times, in the same room as the big Tannoys. Open, airy & spacious, the Airedales were excellent on Classical esp. (I have heard Tannoy 12's sound more attractive, in smaller cabinets.)

There is something about the lively sound of a good sensitive paper cone driver (like Tannoys, Wharfdales, Goodmans...) that sounds like live music.

And unlike modern speaks, those vintage fellas seem to keep appreciating in value....sadly however, now beyond the price of the average mortal enthusiast.

Yes - I'm with you on the sensitive paper cone driver, nothing quite like it, the music leaps out at you (in the nicest possible way). But all are not equal, hence the wharfale question. I recall reading somewhere, here:http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintage.htm, about how bad some of them were. I would rather know about the good ones, you never know your luck.

tamarillo;112875 wrote:
funny world - surely they cannot sound $2000 worth?

I have a pair of exactly the same in the lounge and wouldn't be parted from them (well not for 25 years so far anyway)

M

(wait till someone puts up some silvers or reds and then the fur will really fly)

Hi moby, :)

So what's the hierarchy on these Tannoy drivers.

Which is considered best, Reds first? followed by silver then gold?

FTW this image gives you a sense of size for the 15" Monitor Gold. :eek:

Regards.

Attached files 113068=3687-15'' Tannoy Monitor Gold Drivers..jpg

Halo88;113068 wrote:
Hi moby,
:)

So what's the hierarchy on these Tannoy drivers.

Which is considered best, Reds first? followed by silver then gold?

Which Tannoys are best and which ones the Japanese collectors pay the most money for are rather different animals.

In the money stakes, the heirarchy is well defined :

Black (rarest of the rare, biggest bicckies)

Silver

Red

Gold (most common, least bicckies)

Modern stuff

and 15s trump 12s

As to what sounds best, I actually prefer the sound of old Golds to all the

others as they have that soft suspension which goes lower (and rots).

Of course there are a zillion other opinions as to which Tannoys SOUND best, all equally valid.

M

My father has a pair of those speakers. I have never bothered to pull them apart. He got them at the op shop here in Cambridge some 15 years ago for, I believe, $2. I guess I should look in the back of them and see if their indeed the same. Might be the best investment he has ever made. He has never actually used them as in that room he has a little NZ made Sanyo thing that he likes. Its got some rather average speakers attached...

I have a pair of these too, which were made as studio monitors with Tannoy- constructed cabinets. Sold as individual ( mono? ) monitors so they have different serial No.s. Running off my old Quad amps they have a very detailed and accurate sound ( as expected ) with fantastic portrayal of vocals in particular. One day I hope to try them with a decent valve amp, which reputedly can be magical.

• 1 month later...

and now removed...

That didn't take long. I wonder where the questions went. normally those are left in a listing if it's withdrawn.

I sold a pair of those to an actor called Vincent Gallow a few years back. Got to say that the blacks sounded pretty terrible to my ears.

Declannz;116899 wrote:
and now removed...

That didn't take long. I wonder where the questions went. normally those are left in a listing if it's withdrawn.

I sold a pair of those to an actor called Vincent Gallow a few years back. Got to say that the blacks sounded pretty terrible to my ears.

Yeah, I went to his website and he's looking for Western Electric hi-fi anything...

I know where a nice set of horns are lying around doing nothing, but alas they are not for sale.