Sign in to follow this  
johnnyrs

PS3 replacing CA CDP

siallen's a forum member, so would be interesting to hear his reasons behind this, and also why you think this is a backwards step.

I'm thinking of going a similar route (with a City Pulse or Firestone DAC), or buying his 640C for the bedroom. :)

As many of you know I replaced my CD transport with my PS3 a while back now-and that was with no DAC :eek: However the digital storage bug bit and the interface and file formats wern't ideal so now use an Airport express to the DAC in my AVIs.

So in short maybe it sounded the same or better and just reduced a box :)

Ahhhh... no offence, but, afaik, it's best to stay with a dedicated cd player than replace with a universal player which has had it's cd playback compromised by all the other jobs it's had to do. Have do you find the PS3 as a replacement for the CA - a very reasonable cdp? As I noted, with your fine amplifier, any differences would be very clearly heard.

I can understand using the PS3 for digital files and I have been blown away some of the results I've heard from higher resolution files.

johnnyrs;112656 wrote:
Ahhhh... no offence, but, afaik, it's best to stay with a dedicated cd player than replace with a universal player which has had it's cd playback compromised by all the other jobs it's had to do. Have do you find the PS3 as a replacement for the CA - a very reasonable cdp? As I noted, with your fine amplifier, any differences would be very clearly heard.

I can understand using the PS3 for digital files and I have been blown away some of the results I've heard from higher resolution files.

Sorry should of mentioned, I wasn't the seller just commenting as I was in a similar situation - although to be honest my transport was a 5 year older Parasound (well regarded as a transport).

My main point was it sounded close enough to warrant the removal of the box. So maybe the seller came to the same conclusion:confused:

johnnyrs;112627 wrote:

Replacing a 640C with a PS3 & dac... step backwards IMO particularly when played through a Plinius 9100...

I will also be using a HTPC with coaxial out. This is where I want to really experiment. If the ps3 sounds avg, and the HTPC sounds great... no big loss.

I just don't want the sound I've experienced with the cambridge gear. I've run many cables and speakers with it as source, and It does some things very well.

I mainly listen to vinyl - will upgrade that path eventually, and from digital I want good sound with convenience (mass storage.):D

The exciting thing I see with digital is going to be with the higher resoilution formats - I wonder if this will eventually replace vinyl (think I'll duck now).

Mass storage is great - and, mark my words, it won't be many years until we all run music and (hi-def) video from our lounge network link.

Just be aware fan noise and having to have a display turned on to select tracks can be a big PITA.

gooki;112960 wrote:
Just be aware fan noise and having to have a display turned on to select tracks can be a big PITA.

Squeezebox Duet, DAC and NAS. Solves all the above.

Yet such a shame there isn't a reliable all in one solution.

tkr001;112966 wrote:
Squeezebox Duet, DAC and NAS. Solves all the above.

I also spoke to soon. You can use a PSP to control the PS3 music playback. Now it's just the issue of fan noise.

or you could use a Tablet or Netbook to run Squeezebox Server.....Limited drive size though but 1Tb should be enough.

tkr001;113060 wrote:
or you could use a Tablet or Netbook to run Squeezebox Server.....Limited drive size though but 1Tb should be enough.

Can plug USB drives in for additional TB's of storage - or additional NAS. I have about 3TB of Flac's currently, still converting the less often listened CD's so will probably end up with approx 5TB. Allow 1GB/3 CD's and you should not be disappointed.

2 or 3 a week - say 125 a year, some are doubles of course. Multiply that over 15 - 17 years.... And almost all are now sitting in boxes in the attic.

too_tall;113067 wrote:
2 or 3 a week - say 125 a year, some are doubles of course. Multiply that over 15 - 17 years.... And almost all are now sitting in boxes in the attic.

Not to dispute your maths or anything, but by your reasoning 1 GB = 3 CDs therefore 5TB = 15,000 CDs.

125 CDs a year x 17 yrs x 1.5 (assuming 50% are doubles) = 3188 CDs.....

Still a s**t load of CDs.:D

aarond;113074 wrote:
Not to dispute your maths or anything, but by your reasoning 1 GB = 3 CDs therefore 5TB = 15,000 CDs.

125 CDs a year x 17 yrs x 1.5 (assuming 50% are doubles) = 3188 CDs.....

Still a s**t load of CDs.
:D

Oh, I was not meaning that all are from the CD's, a lot are 192/24 vinyl rips ( often duplicates of CD I have ) and those take a lot more space. I should have been more clear. There is also assorted junk floating around too ( MP3 duplicates of the FLACS for the car, tractor and boat) , but mostly FLAC's of various descriptions.

too_tall;113077 wrote:
Oh, I was not meaning that all are from the CD's, a lot are 192/24 vinyl rips ( often duplicates of CD I have ) and those take a lot more space. I should have been more clear. There is also assorted junk floating around too ( MP3 duplicates of the FLACS for the car, tractor and boat) , but mostly FLAC's of various descriptions.

And I should be less of a pedant...:D