Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Belles MB200

Guest Guest

Can anyone offer me any advice on these?

I've only found one review which loved them and was thinking they might be an alternative to a Plinius SA100 Mk3 or 102 as an upgrade to the Mk1 I currently have but I have bit of 'fear of the unknown' with respect to the Belles.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=249848691

seems like a damn good price for expensive amps/ review of VT-01 / SA-30 (8500 quid) in aug hi fi news by ken kessler was very enthusiastic 'truly magical' and suggest best of both tube and transistor benefits.

Hi abarth, :)

I've spent a lot of money with Jason (the seller) & always received first rate service & back up.

I would suggest you contact him directly, & talk through any concerns with warranty & service /support you may have.

At that price I would suggest that these mono blocks are somewhat of a bargain, but as always satisfy yourself completely before purchasing.

This would involve an audition if possible.

Disclaimer:

I have no financial or any other involvement with Parmenter Sound Ltd.

Regards.:)

Guest Guest

Thanks for the comments the price is not an issue as its very good and most definately a bargain. Also, I've only ever heard good things about Jason re: service etc and would happily purchase from him. Its more a case of I love the Plinius sound hence wanting to go from a SA100 Mk1 to a Mk3 or 102 but I don't know anything about the Belles except for the one review I've read. Unfortunately we're kind of between houses at present so doing a proper audition in near impossible and I'd really want to try them with my own speakers etc. Timing is not good and another 6 weeks we'll be in the new house which even has a man cave/listening room. Having said that I think it would be rude not to at least try them at Jason's place if possible.

If you love the plinius sound why on earth go away from it? Just follow the path you have mapped out....all the way to the SA-Reference :D

I thought Jason was in Muriwai, might be just up the coast but not just up the road.

Guest Guest

tkr001 - your absolutely right and this is part of the dilemma - stick with you what know and like. But the price on the Belles is so good its got me thinking perhaps I should go off in a different direction. Also, its so damn hard finding a SA100 Mk3 or 102 for sale!!

Ernie - yep just up the coast a bit as we're at Piha (well we will be back there when the house is finished).

Amazing price.

Why are they are so cheap ???

abarth;107614 wrote:
tkr001 - your absolutely right and this is part of the dilemma - stick with you what know and like. But the price on the Belles is so good its got me thinking perhaps I should go off in a different direction.

Nothing wrong with striking off in another direction. As long as you know that it might not be a successful move.

Guest Guest

Yes the price is bloody good which of course is what's got my interest. However, at this level of gear I'm not sure if I'm prepared to lay my $$$ on the table unless I can try the amps with my other gear in my home environment. As mentioned this is not really possible for another 6 weeks. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the timing is never good.

Hi abarth, :)

Yes I understand your dilemma.

Again I would suggest, as an initial step, a 'phone call to Jason, & have him explain to you the differences in the voicing of these Belles in comparison to the early Plinius product.

He's very experienced & will convey an acurate picture.

BTW. A side note on the Plinius sound.

This changed at the introduction of the SA102 & 9100/9200 intergrated amps, to a more forward, less tube like presentation.

I believe this was a result of increasing Plinius involvement in the North American market.

So the voicing of your SA100 mk1, which obviously is to your liking, is markedly different from the SA102/103 series.

The 'pick of the crop' was the SA100 mk3, with dual toroidal output transformers to eliminate hum, with the full & smooth voicing of the previous models.

I owned the SA100mk1 then the SA100mk2 then the 8200mk2 intergrated.

The later IMHO being the better of these three amps.

The SA102 was significantly different, leaner & not to my liking :eek:.

IMMV etc....

Enjoy the music...

Regards. :)

========================================================

'Life is mostly froth and bubble

Two things stand like stone

Kindness in another's trouble

Courage in your own'.

You could take your Plinius up to Jason's with you, that way you could get a quick and dirty A/B - albeit on a different system. But that might (or might not) be somewhat revealing.

Guest Guest

Many thanks for the comments and I had heard similar things regarding the Mk3 vs 102 and was erring towards the Mk3. the biggest problem is of course finding one as they just don't seem to come up second hand. This of course, along with the great price, has led me to the Belles. Its looking like a trip to Muriwai with SA100 Mk1 under my arm might be in order otherwise I'll die wondering.

Halo88;107635 wrote:
Hi abarth,
:)

Yes I understand your dilemma.

Again I would suggest, as an initial step, a 'phone call to Jason, & have him explain to you the differences in the voicing of these Belles in comparison to the early Plinius product.

He's very experienced & will convey an acurate picture.

BTW
. A side note on the Plinius sound.

This changed at the introduction of the SA102 & 9100/9200 intergrated amps, to a more forward, less tube like presentation.

I believe this was a result of increasing Plinius involvement in the North American market.

So the voicing of your SA100 mk1, which obviously is to your liking, is markedly different from the SA102/103 series.

The 'pick of the crop' was the SA100 mk3, with dual toroidal output transformers to eliminate hum, with the full & smooth voicing of the previous models.

I owned the SA100mk1 then the SA100mk2 then the 8200mk2 intergrated.

The later IMHO being the better of these three amps.

The SA102 was significantly different, leaner & not to my liking :eek:.

IMMV etc....

Enjoy the music...

Regards.
:)

========================================================

'Life is mostly froth and bubble

Two things stand like stone

Kindness in another's trouble

Courage in your own'.

Depending on how much of a rush you're in , I know of a mint SA100 mk 3 which will be available in a little while.

Guest Guest

KevinO;107677 wrote:
Depending on how much of a rush you're in , I know of a mint SA100 mk 3 which will be available in a little while.

Can you please send me a PM.

Guest Guest

There's nothing wrong with the Irish

Let us know the outcome...

I'd love to compare them to my Arcam P1s, but don't have the bridging finance to be able to manage the change if the Belles were significantly better than the Arcams.

KevinO;107677 wrote:

I have a contact who is also looking for an SA100 MkIII. So if there are any others out there looking for a home?

What is the attraction of the MkIII vs the 102 or 103?

abarth;107700 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the Irish

:rolleyes:

Gary.M;107726 wrote:
I have a contact who is also looking for an SA100 MkIII. So if there are any others out there looking for a home?

First to PM kevin gets it!! ;):D

Ready, Set, Goooo!!!!!!! :P

Guest Guest

mycenius;107728 wrote:
:rolleyes:

First to PM kevin gets it!!
;):D

Ready, Set, Goooo!!!!!!!
:P

I already have and it's the waiting for a reply that hurts!!!!

kaka;107727 wrote:

It has a more romantic sonic signature than later models.

My all-time favourite Plinius remains the mighty SB-300.

;)

Guest Guest

kaka;107727 wrote:

Perhaps Gary would like to comment on this question?