minimoke;104134 wrote:
oops - looks like an apology for the offence you've taken from my post is in order. And I may as well apologise in adavance for any offence Foster and Allen fans may expereince.

No need to apologise.:) I forgot to take my pill this morning is all.....:rolleyes:

aarond;104127 wrote:
what's all the fuss about, who's ever heard of the Pixies?
:P

Yeah I hear they suck anyway........:D

There was no offense taken here, I'm finding it quite healthy so far. A good system in some American states (I've heard) is an online ticket resale organization, set up by the companies who are putting on the event. That way profits can be managed, and the event gets a good cut.

cortisolman;104163 wrote:
There was no offense taken here, I'm finding it quite healthy so far. A good system in some American states (I've heard) is an online ticket resale organization, set up by the companies who are putting on the event. That way profits can be managed, and the event gets a good cut.

Yeah, a good (second) cut... but wait a minute, when was capitalism ever fair?

cortisolman;104163 wrote:

This system is far from perfect. Bruce Springsteen forced a major ticketing co in the USA to apologise for directing fans to their re-sale site to buy tix at a premium when tickets where still available through their standard site.

GT is correct when he says scalpers is only a small part of the equation. There are so many sponsors and intermediaries involved in many of todays' larger tours that only a small percentage are put on sale the day that ticket sales open. Many bands offer pre-sale facilities to fan club members; then there are the artist's 'holds'; sponsors 'holds', promoters 'holds', credit card co's 'pre-sales', ticketing agency 'pre-sales'...

One final observation - to those who suggested that U2 are fair game for scalpers, even scalpers themselves, (chopper, declannz) i'd like to know what you based that assumption on? Does that mean they are fair game for burning their latest CD instead of buying it too? When, in your opinions, do artists become deserving enough to be 'not scalped'? Why should the Pixies not be subjected to scalping but U2 deserve it?

King Size;104234 wrote:
This system is far from perfect. Bruce Springsteen forced a major ticketing co in the USA to apologise for directing fans to their re-sale site to buy tix at a premium when tickets where still available through their standard site.

GT is correct when he says scalpers is only a small part of the equation. There are so many sponsors and intermediaries involved in many of todays' larger tours that only a small percentage are put on sale the day that ticket sales open. Many bands offer pre-sale facilities to fan club members; then there are the artist's 'holds'; sponsors 'holds', promoters 'holds', credit card co's 'pre-sales', ticketing agency 'pre-sales'...

The whole process leaves me feeling royally shafted. I wanted a GA ticket to the Pixies so I could be in the action but the Ticketmaster site wouldn't let me - must be sold out - so I buy 'best avaliable' and get a crap upstairs seat on the side. Now I have been informed that they are 'holding some GA tickets back until closer to the show.' Why FFS? So they can sell the crap seats first?

Now I have to buy a GA ticket and sell my upstairs one! Scalper?

Oh yeah - I have 3 tickets to AC-DC because of Ticketek's monumental screw up earlier this year - I only wanted one. Scalper?

Ticket companies should sort themselves out pronto - it's below par big time. I'd rather deal with the scalpers.

DodgyConnection;104438 wrote:
The whole process leaves me feeling royally shafted. I wanted a GA ticket to the Pixies so I could be in the action but the Ticketmaster site wouldn't let me - must be sold out - so I buy 'best avaliable' and get a crap upstairs seat on the side. Now I have been informed that they are 'holding some GA tickets back until closer to the show.' Why FFS? So they can sell the crap seats first?

Oh yeah - I have 3 tickets to AC-DC because of Ticketek's monumental screw up earlier this year - I only wanted one. Scalper?

Ticket companies should sort themselves out pronto - it's below par big time. I'd rather deal with the scalpers.

Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

DodgyConnection;104438 wrote:

Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you, agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

King Size;104455 wrote:
Ahem - I never actually called anyone a scalper or criticised scalpers. I simply agreed with GT that they are merely part of the equation and, like you, agree that there are other problems/issues :cool:

yeah - I was agreeing with your post King Size :)

There has to be a better way - I think Joe Punter really gets the smelly leftovers in a lot of cases...

This I'm just a fan who has a few spare tickets crap is as plausible as the Hells Angels when they trot out the old We're just a bunch of guys who like to ride bikes crap.

Anyone with half a brain knows what is really going on ... why bother even trying to blow the smoke screen.

Scalper = scum.