Tannoy Westminsters for sale - I think

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too_tall;102312 wrote:
Just how would these vintage Westminsters sound as compared to a contemporary set of equivalent valued speakers?

Pretty good I'd say (although I'm not a huge Tannoy fan myself), these are a v successful design according to others.

As I recall, Harvey Rosenberg used to soil himself ;) when using his Sun Audio 300B PP amps to juice his Tannoy Westminster Royals :)

I'm surprised to spot what looks like a couple of ARC Classic 120 mono amps driving these (not to mention a 2-chassis ARC SP-15 Preamp ;)).

I'm not sure why you'd want 110wpc of FET/tube hybrid power to tickle these sensitive behemoths.... we're talking almost 1.5m high cabinets I'd guess.

abarth;102324 wrote:
The ARC power amps, pre and phonostage caught my eye too. I wonder if Sarah's husband know she's selling off his speakers (he he).

I dont know, but this things smells very fishy. New member, no feedback, no real descriptions, going overseas, ESL, ...not a winning combo in my book.

Not so fast, Sherlock ;).... reminds me a lot of the time when I met a nice Chinese lady via an advert selling a not dissimilar system...ARC pre/power amps, big British spkrs.

Did you also spot the golf trophy on LHS Tannoy, Clousseau? :D Yup Asian lady, the Tannoys look a bit old but could be a good buy... 'nzaudio' is keen to be in the queue.

gortnipper;102423 wrote:
I dont know, but this things smells very fishy. New member, no feedback, no real descriptions, going overseas, ESL, ...not a winning combo in my book.

$12.5k could buy a lot of fish!!!!

To be honest I have no idea what the kit she's selling is worth but it's a big pile of goodies. I'd bet its the husband/ex husband gear and she just wants to get rid of it. Knows its worth a bit but doesn't know anything else about it. Could be a good buy for someone that knows its value.

The aforementioned Asian lady whom I mentioned, owned & used her system herself... she just enjoyed quality equipment & simply took advice when originally purchasing... in HK.

In this case, I would speculate that she is likely to be Korean. However possibly her partner may be overseas.

The Westminster dates back to the 70s, so could be fairly called 'vintage' I guess.

Indeed and I shouldn't jump to conclusions when it comes to women and HiFi.

Lots more photos added and it certainly some nice looking kit. What's the 4th ARC unit in addition to the mono blocks and pre? Is it a power supply for the pre?

Owen Y;102486 wrote:
The aforementioned Asian lady whom I mentioned, owned & used her system herself... she just enjoyed quality equipment & simply took advice when originally purchasing... in HK.

In this case, I would speculate that she is likely to be Korean. However possibly her partner may be overseas.

The Westminster dates back to the 70s, so could be fairly called 'vintage' I guess.

She'd be quite unlike any Korean lady (ajumma) I've ever met then. They tend to go for-if anything-the bright and shiny end of the spectrum eg McIntosh . The McIntosh gear advertised recently was definitely by a Korean.

Serious bidding now, particularly since auction has another 6 days to run. I imagine the ARC gear will be re-offered or on-sold by the successful bidder once the auction ends since it would be worth only around NZ$6-7000 I would think.

Halo88;102721 wrote:

What's this old but distinguished equipment worth?

Any thoughts?

Regards.

RRP for current version of the Tannoy Westminster:

Product: Tannoy Westminster Royal SE

Stock code: TAL008

Price: £ 21995.00

:eek:

The same model ARC gear is listed on Audigon for US$4500 ... $2100 for a pair of amps and $2400 for a pre.

Unfortunately these Tannoys appear to be older & sl smaller dimensioned Westminster models than the Royals... as bidder 'stephenred' intimates.

But I think that TonyD must be about on the money with estimate of ARC SP15+Classic 120 pricing, in his post #20.