Dynavector P75MkII phono stage for sale

Just listed my Dynavector P75MkII on Trademe on Sunday, for those who haven't been lurking. It's near new, under 1 month old with less than 10 hours on it.

Only selling as I need more gain with the cartridge I'm using, a DV10x5 funnily enough? Klaus tells me my options are; change to a MM cart, buy a stepup transformer or get the SXP2 which has a 50dB gain setting. I was a bit hesitant as the P75 sounds really good and I toyed with the first two options. But I'd rather keep the 10x5 and change the phono than add another gizmo to clutter up the lounge.... It's inevitable :( so I bit the bullet.

So my loss could be your gain....hehe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239066733

stedor;101668 wrote:
Just listed my Dynavector P75MkII on Trademe on Sunday, for those who haven't been lurking. It's near new, under 1 month old with less than 10 hours on it.

Only selling as I need more gain with the cartridge I'm using, a DV10x5 funnily enough? Klaus tells me my options are; change to a MM cart, buy a stepup transformer or get the SXP2 which has a 50dB gain setting. I was a bit hesitant as the P75 sounds really good and I toyed with the first two options. But I'd rather keep the 10x5 and change the phono than add another gizmo to clutter up the lounge.... It's inevitable
:(
so I bit the bullet.

So my loss could be your gain....hehe

The 10x5 is a high output MC which should be used in the MM stage of the P75. Have you tried that?

I'm curious too as I have a P75 mkII and was considering getting a10x5, as it is supposed to be a very good match for my tt and arm; and one would assume a good match for the phono stage too.

Bear in mind that even though the 10x5 is a high output MC it is still going to be 'quieter' than an MM at the same levels.

I also accept that to get the most out of the P75 you really need to use a a low output MC cart - preferably a DV one with the phono stage in Dr. T mode.

Thanks Cf, that's where I started. The P75/II in MM setting has 40dB gain. This would cover a 4 or 5 mV MM cart fine, but the DV10x5 is a MC with only 2.5 mV output. While it plays OK it needed a higher volume setting to get the same output as the Wadia170i /SXD2 combo did. Both are going into the SXP2 passive preamp.

I'm very happy with the 10x5 and SXP2. We've had several stunning evenings listening to old vinyl with both the P75 and now the SXP2 and am buying more software (vinyl) as a result. This is very addictive!

cheers

Cooksferry;101712 wrote:
The 10x5 is a high output MC which should be used in the MM stage of the P75. Have you tried that?

Hi KS,

I thought the same as I already had the 10x5 and that's why I got the P75/II, to match. Maybe if I had watts to spare now it wouldn't have been a problem, but our setup is predominantly used with iPods, a Wadia 170i transport & the SXD2 (passive) upsampling DAC. I wanted a similar volume setting using the turntable, that I got using the other combo. The SXP2 allows that flexibility without having to change the cartridge to a MM or $MC.

It wasn't an easy decision as the P75 is the best phono I've owned and undoubtedly it works very well with MC cartridges.

Try it if you can before you buy it!

Steve

King Size;101721 wrote:
I'm curious too as I have a P75 mkII and was considering getting a10x5, as it is supposed to be a very good match for my tt and arm; and one would assume a good match for the phono stage too.

Bear in mind that even though the 10x5 is a high output MC it is still going to be 'quieter' than an MM at the same levels.

I also accept that to get the most out of the P75 you really need to use a a low output MC cart - preferably a DV one with the phono stage in Dr. T mode.

Thanks for the insight Steve,

I've just checked the output of my current MM cartridge - its around 7mv! Which would explain why the volume difference between my TT/P75 set up and CDP is nominal.

Maybe a jump over the 10x5 to one of the DV low output MC's to go with my P75 might be a better idea for me. Although i'm not too concerned about the gain/volume differential between a line source and my phono one.

Good luck with the sale - as you say it is a great little phono stage.

PS - have just checked the specs ofthe P75 online and they give the input sensitivity for an MM/High output MC at 2.0mv (40db gain). So you were right to assume that the 10x5 at 2.5mv would be a reasonable match.