• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Now on offer for $1000, if any forum member wants let me know and I'll withdraw the offer.

I'm amazed it hasn't been snapped up, it was a very nice player for the full price of $2800.

I sold it's little brother, the CD73T for $775 a couple of years ago on TM.

Maybe the CD player market is just dormant at the present.

XOtago;98125 wrote:
I was one of the watchers and would have normally have purchased the unit especially at $1000 (that's a good price) but with the current climate it's a no go for me
:(

That's a real pity, as it sounds absolutely divine through the MF Xcan + Sennheiser phones as you have...:)

• 1 month later...

I'm at a total loss at the lack of interest in this CD player!

Much better than anything else I heard at < $3000

I had a request to re-list, but no buyer again.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239401813

I'm willing to sell for $1000 to a forum member, and I'll even donate $50 to the Neil Fencing Charity Fund!!

(desperation starting to creep in now)

I think asking for $1,200 for a 5 year old CD player is unrealistic in todays market. I would think that you will be lucky to get 30% of its new price value.

Yes, the recession does thin the number of buyers out there, but the reason buyers are also thin on the ground is that there is just too many alternatives out there in the hard drive market! All my staff under the age of 30 wouldn't dream of purchasing a CD Player- its all hard drive music servers now.

The funny thing is that they are prepared to pay bigger $$$'s for old amps & speakers! They like the 1970's style Japanese Amps with silver face plates- they hook their music server up to these old systems & can play music LOUD at their parties & dont care if they blow-up the old Technics speakers.

If you think that's tough, how about my friend who purchased a section in Browns Bay for $378,700 in 2007, and was hoping to get $420,000 for it. The best offer (and only cash offer) to date (after being on the market for 12 months) is $275,000! (less than he owes on his mortgage!!!)

11thNAMR;101628 wrote:

If you think that's tough, how about my friend who purchased a section in Browns Bay for $378,700 in 2007, and was hoping to get $420,000 for it. The best offer (and only cash offer) to date (after being on the market for 12 months) is $275,000! (less than he owes on his mortgage!!!)

To be fair peoples expectations on property are/were utterly delusional - anyone who thinks otherwise is still living the delusion :(. In comparison most hifi pricing is quite sensible I feel.

11thNAMR;101628 wrote:
I think asking for $1,200 for a 5 year old CD player is unrealistic in todays market. I would think that you will be lucky to get 30% of its new price value.

You are entitled to your opinion, which I don't personally agree with for a player as good as this one, but I must correct you in that this model is less than three years old. It was brought in October 2006, brand new, from EHF. :)

nixon76;101632 wrote:
To be fair peoples expectations on property are/were utterly delusional - anyone who thinks otherwise is still living the delusion
. In
comparison
most hifi pricing is quite sensible I feel.

I totally agree. "Delusional" is putting it mildly, IMHO.

11thNAMR;101628 wrote:
All my staff under the age of 30 wouldn't dream of purchasing a CD Player- its all hard drive music servers now.

I have to say, I know plenty of people under the age of 30 who wouldn't dream of purchasing a hard drive music server.

Don't give up Aarond - it all comes down to timing. I'd love to buy your CDP but I'd have to HP it, sorry.

aarond;101641 wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion, which I don't personally agree with for a player as good as this one, but I must correct you in that this model is less than three years old. It was brought in October 2006, brand new, from EHF.
:)

Ehh?? Your're the one who cannot believe that nobody bid on the machine!!! I gave you viable reasons, being you are asking too much & young buyers arnt interested. Yes, my opinion, but if you're right- where are all the buyers if you priced right etc? The reviews for this machine online all date to 2004.

Sure, most of my staff are 'techies' but they are the majority & NONE own a CD player. They cannot believe I play mostly LPs (some had no idea what an LP was!). They think Im an old fart (at 45) but they are probably right. I don't text, don't download music etc- they think I'm a Luddite. They laugh when I talk about learning programming by 'punching out cards' using 'COBOL' & 'FORTRAN' (none of them had heard of these languages-one thought I was talking about cocktail drinks) & when I started work that 75 staff shared 1 Terminal with a 4 inch long by 3 inch wide screen.

Aarond, you have a system that I would absolutely LOVE to own, you appear to have great taste in music- Im not having a go at you- but times move on, values on the second hand market change-rapidly. I have just repo'd a $27,000 spa pool. Its 6 months old in immaculate condition (our repo agent thinks its never been used), yet I will be lucky to get $12,000 for it- Im annoyed, but thats the market!

PS If you want to buy a spa pool, PM me.

Got to kinda agree with 11thNamr... market rules...although I'd love to grab your Arcam at that price, other priorities reign...like food, car repairs...:D

I really hope you get what you want for the CDP but I also know that the CDP market is rather slow right now (having tried to sell mine).

The way of the future appears to be digital.... music servers or iplods! :-( esp among the younger sub 30 generation.

LONG LIVE vinyl is all i can say......

Newbie;101649 wrote:
Got to kinda agree with 11thNamr... market rules...although I'd love to grab your Arcam at that price, other priorities reign...like food, car repairs...
:D

I really hope you get what you want for the CDP but I also know that the CDP market is rather slow right now (having tried to sell mine).

The way of the future appears to be digital.... music servers or iplods! :-( esp among the younger sub 30 generation.

LONG LIVE vinyl is all i can say......

Nice to have someone 'kinda agree':D

Aarond, you bought the Sonus Fabers at an absolute bargain price! I would have guessed that they are worth twice what you paid for them. You cannot expect to pay bottom dollar when you buy, and then expect top dollar when you sell? it just doesn't work that way- sadly.:o

11thNAMR;101650 wrote:

Aarond, you bought the Sonus Fabers at an absolute bargain price! I would have guessed that they are worth twice what you paid for them. You cannot expect to pay bottom dollar when you buy, and then expect top dollar when you sell? it just doesn't work that way- sadly.
:o

You must have massive market knowledge to know what is a bargain and what is top dollar. I envy you :rolleyes:

Unfortunately its only worth what someone (the market) is prepared to pay. This of course goes for sections, houses, cars, you name it. I feel for you Aaron and it seems criminal selling it for less anything less.

Ernie;101652 wrote:
Hitting 45 must endow people with massive knowledge. I can't wait to be 45. Another year, then I too can teach people the correct method for sucking eggs.

I don't understand the need for you to be sarcastic?

Aarond was mystified as to why his high quality CDP wasn't selling for the price he wanted- I gave him 2 plausible reasons as to why I think he didn't get a sale. If that upsets you, thats your problem. It only my opinion. He can accept it or ignore it- thats up to him. If you have other ideas as to why he couldn't sell his CDP lets hear them, rather than attacking me.

I work in an industry were I have continual exposure to second hand consumer chattels market ranging from Spa Pools to PS3's to fridges to jewelery to DJ equipment to bikes to beds to plasma screens etc ad infinitum. Due to my continued exposure to the second hand market, I have a better than average grasp of the market conditions and price expectations on a week to week basis. At the end of the day, people will pay what they think a chattel is worth on that day- and the market moves quickly, decisively & sometimes totally illogically. I have seen 2nd hand price on some electrical goods drop to near worthlessness in a week due to an importer slashing the new retail price of that chattel- it just wipes out the 2nd hand market when that happens. But Ive also seen 2nd hand digital cameras sell on TM for more than the same camera is selling new at Harvey Normans- why?- beats me.

Aarond may think his CDP is worth $1,200 today- the market is saying it isnt. That may change next week- he might get more, he might get less. If you want $1,200 & the market says no- either drop your price or try again later if you think market conditions have changed in your favour.

Prices for second hand goods have plummeted in the last 18 months due to a combination of the recession and the fact that parts of the market have been flooded with (relatively) cheap goods.

If you want to take the piss out of me, that's fine- but that doesnt change the reality that the second hand market for electronic goods has gone to hell in a hand basket.

You try & sell the 42" plasma screen you purchased for $11,000 five years ago & see how much someone is willing to pay for it today- bugger all, and you dont need to be 45 years old to know that.

I am inclined to agree with some of the above statements. I don't see why this is an issue though, it is obvious why there is a lack of interest in the item being offered, and the solution is obvious too, but it's a no-goer.

If I had the dough I would be very tempted, and I'm sure a lot of other people would be too, but seems we're too poor.

Move on people!!!

Simple reason its not selling - there is not currently a buyer prepared to spend that money on that particular player.

Blame it on whatever, but thats the case, and hopefully Aaron will soon find someone who agrees that its worth as much as he feels, and is in a position to be spending that money. Personally, I would love it, however I am saving my pennies for other things right now.