SF Guarneri Homage / BW 805 signature

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm way out of step with the audio world on this one as I'm yet to be impressed by the look of any of the many SF's speakers I've seen. Yes the workmanship is good, but the choice of timbers and some of the design elements just leave me cold. I know I'm in a very small club and that beauty is in the eye etc, etc.

Cheers,

Craig.

aarond;94717 wrote:
Like an alcoholic faced with a bottle of 12 yr old single malt, I survived the temptation.

My current speakers are all I need...

Snigger (kindly meant). I'm hoping for a Fixed Price Offer to come down the pipeline. Just so we can watch you sweat it out all over again!

:eek:

Aaron, SF Guarneri and Grand Piano are completely different set of speakers. Guarneri is not an easy speaker to drive. Yes, they have good bass, provided you have the amps to drive those Guarneri drivers.

Craig F;94712 wrote:
I'm way out of step with the audio world on this one as I'm yet to be impressed by the look of any of the many SF's speakers I've seen. Yes the workmanship is good, but the choice of timbers and some of the design elements just leave me cold. I know I'm in a very small club and that beauty is in the eye etc, etc.

Cheers,

Craig.

I love the look of the old models like the Extrema and the new wide body Strads etc. but not the sound.

Guest Guest

Hi There,

I don't dabble much these days, but I have owned/heard/experienced probably more Hi-End gear than most of you-some great --most poor.

There are a select few that stand out as classic transducers and standards which others can be judged.

One of those is the SF Guarneri-- they are virtually unmatched even today.

I am talking re the older versions--which in my opinion are superior to the Current Mementos.

Good Listening,

Des W

Oh yes Owen they WILL play Rock!

Well there you have it, Des has spoken :D

And all that scuba diving & warm climate has kept yer ear drums fresh & alert as ever, no doubt, Des?

(I've not been enamored of SFs generally, but the Guarneris are something rare. I love them for the sheer effort, loving detail & craftsmanship that they embody.)

Guest Guest

Owen Y;94763 wrote:
Well there you have it, Des has spoken
:D

And all that scuba diving & warm climate has kept yer ear drums fresh & alert as ever, no doubt, Des?

(I've not been enamored of SFs generally, but the Guarneris are something rare. I love them for the sheer effort, loving detail & craftsmanship that they embody.)

Ha, Yes Owen your wisdom is endless!---I heartily agree all that Franco Serblin has produced has not been a total success-I have owned the Concertos, Extremas--and was certainly less impressed with them--particuarly the smaller models-couldn't play anything with decent bass without the Woofers bottoming and clacking incessantly.

The Guarneri is a different breed of cat and deserves it's place amongst the Best out there.

No my friend I am on Photo Book assignment in the US at present till end of the year-here is a snap to brighten(?) up the Forum Pages .

Good Listening,

Des W

Attached files 94772=2855-Horeshoe 09_MG_0020 1.jpg

Des W;94772 wrote:

The Guarneri is a different breed of cat and deserves it's place amongst the Best out there.

Des W

Des, you should have been a sales person...

The cap is off the bottle, which is in the seller's hands, if he would make me an acceptable offer (reserve would be that) then I'm afraid I'll be forced into the abyss.

I've thought of little else for the past few days.

My fiancee wants rid of the 'ugly black' Grand Pianos which 'intrude' into her space. :( I promised her that the Guarneris would take up less space and could go closer to the walls. :)

jonathan;94814 wrote:
What does your fiancee think of the look of these speakers then??!!

Can't help but notice just a hint of sarcasm in your post. Just a quick question - have you seen these speakers in the flesh and perhaps slightly more relevant, have you listened to them? Please post a few pics of speakers that are visually appealling to you. Overall consensus (not just on this forum) is that the cabinetry of the top range SF speakers is almost a work of art. I know one man's meat is another man's poison, but I would never advise someone not to buy a speaker because I don't like the look. It is the sound that counts.

jonathan;94814 wrote:
What does your fiancee think of the look of these speakers then??!!

She hasn't seen them yet... Not sure how she will react to the stands, she will appreciate the small speaker though.

Honestly, the asthetics of such things are completely lost on her. :D

kaka;94823 wrote:
Fingers crossed

What would you amp them with ?

That great unknown is how well my Arcam P1 monoblocs will drive these speakers (if the seller replies to my request for fixed price offer).

The P1s are rated 175 w/8ohm and 250w/4 and they drive the GPs very nicely.

Should be sufficent power...

aarond;94824 wrote:
Should be sufficent power...

Power is only one part of the equation though. The higher up the ladder you climb, and the SF's are well up there, the more they let you know what every step of the chain sounds like. It would seem that they're a very good buy and a very good speaker but I think you're kidding yourself if you think they're going to take up less space than the GP's. You'd possibly be robbing yourself of the qualities the speaker has if you push them up against the wall.

Cheers,

Craig.

aarond;94810 wrote:
My fiancee wants rid of the 'ugly black' Grand Pianos which 'intrude' into her space.
:(
I promised her that the Guarneris would take up less space and could go closer to the walls.
:)

Yep, I can atest to the fact that a nice pair (or two) of walnut-clad SF speakers have significant WAF factor. :cool:

Craig F;94712 wrote:
I'm way out of step with the audio world on this one as I'm yet to be impressed by the look of any of the many SF's speakers I've seen.

Dear Ed,

Can you please expel Craig from the forum effective immediately. He's an awfully nice guy, but obviously lacks any sense of taste.

Ta,

Hamsta :P

markvetnz;94818 wrote:
Can't help but notice just a hint of sarcasm in your post. Just a quick question - have you seen these speakers in the flesh and perhaps slightly more relevant, have you listened to them?

Not sarcasm - the use of exclamation marks in my question were there to indicate that I was simply fishing for a bite! Not everyone finds these speakers attractive, and aarond had clearly indicated his fiancee thought the same about his current speakers. So, I think you, unlike aarond, just mis-read the tone of my post which was writen with tongue firmly in cheek...

And, no, I have not seen these speakers in the flesh - hence me asking in an earlier post whether they were as "interesting" looking in reality. And, no matter how fantastic those speakers sounded (and if I won lotto to be able to afford them), they would not not find a place in my house.

In the end, for me aesthetics play an important part in decision-making, ESPECIALLY as I would feel obliged to take into account the views of others the household. So, if my partner absolutely hated the aesthetics of an item I wished to purchase, then that would impact on my decision to purchase or not. I'd imagine I would not be alone in this. BTW, I showed my partner the photo of these speakers, and her response was the same as mine...