• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Products not described in actual condition, no response to e-mails for a week and a half even though it had showed he had logged in on TM just about daily. Just plain difficult to deal with. Then guess who payed twice for postage to get them back! Tosser! Same as our 100/100 friend by the sounds. Communication is everything.

omegaspeedy;96022 wrote:
Products not described in actual condition, no response to e-mails for a week and a half even though it had showed he had logged in on TM just about daily. Just plain difficult to deal with. Then guess who payed twice for postage to get them back! Tosser! Same as our 100/100 friend by the sounds. Communication is everything.

I agree on the communication front - slow and monosyllabic. He sent me mis-matched items and was slow to respond, and I had to pay shipping to return the odd items and he was slow to return the right parts.

This is not to say anything about price gouging, dumping only inferior quality items on TM while all the better goods go to ePay - thus draining the supply in NZ and thus pushing up the NZ pricing...not a sustainable model, but I guess I understand it from his biz POV.

gortnipper;96026 wrote:
This is not to say anything about price gouging, dumping only inferior quality items on TM while all the better goods go to ePay - thus draining the supply in NZ and thus pushing up the NZ pricing...not a sustainable model, but I guess I understand it from his biz POV.

I agree. I'm not saying he 'intends' to rip people off but he sure doesn't have a 'holistic' attitude to the audio community. Maybe I am being naive and a bit soft - it's business after all.

Some years ago this guy bought a piece of vintage gear from me for way under what it was worth then sold it overseas for an extremely large profit. I was a bit green - and sure, 'seller beware' - but he approached me and was pretty convincing - I've always felt a bit ripped.

I think I know the dude. He bought my really nice Garrard 401 years ago when I was really poor. I had no idea what it was, so he convinced me it was poor condition and the bearing was stuffed. I got $70 and found out later it was in almost perfect condition :(

Later on, when I was between jobs, he employed me full time for over a year until I started my IT career. I've had some pretty sweet deals out of him since then too :)

What goes around, eh?

You could argue about his business model, but there are others doing the same thing. It's not like "Mr. Greytown" does anything else for a crust and at least everything he sells he gets taxed on.

There are many more "flippers" around who claim benefits while still raking in over $1k a week completely tax free. If Mr Greytown stopped trading tomorrow then someone else will certainly grab the gear that he misses. Probably Wen.

aarond;96033 wrote:
Who is the trader we should be avoiding? Greytown is a bit general...

Yeah, is it nzaudio1 you are talking about?

I haven't traded with him but it seems he is just trying to make a living out of this audio game.

If you sold him a 401 at rock bottom price then shame on YOU, not him! DO some research before you sell..

If you sell cheap and he later sells at a profit on eBay....so what...You sold it to him. You agreed on the price. Get over it....;);)

there are always bad apples in any auction.

I do remember there one incident very well. Someone has a very rare U2 EP. This potential buyer who buys from TM and sells in Ebay plead with the seller to sell to him because he has this missing one to complete his collection.

The best thing about this potential buyer is, he has 2 user ids. He uses his the other for selling so that no one knows of him.

However, it is his pleading technique that I detest.

Dogman - while on the face of it you are correct I think there is a wider question of ethics. I guess I'm never going to be successful in business if it requires you to take advantage of people who genuinely are not sure what they have got. In Declannz's case he convinced him that his 401 was faulty! That is fraud!

Say you know a recently widowed old lady with a bunch of Quad and Leak amps belonging to her former husband - do you give her $100 bucks and sell for thousands on ebay? I know I wouldn't - I'd try to arrive at a fair price and maybe save me some money on what would be market price. But then I'm not really a professional trade-me wheeler dealer.

DodgyConnection;96141 wrote:

Say you know a recently widowed old lady with a bunch of Quad and Leak amps belonging to her former husband - do you give her $100 bucks and sell for thousands on ebay? I know I wouldn't - I'd try to arrive at a fair price and maybe save me some money on what would be market price. But then I'm not really a professional trade-me wheeler dealer.

I've been in that exact situation quite a few times. Sometimes I get there too late and someone has picked off the good stuff already. If it looks like the seller needs the money I just tell them what stuff is worth. I buy what I can afford and offer to sell the rest on behalf. They pay me whatever commission they think my help is worth. All I ask is for fees to be covered.

If someone obviously doesn't need the money, like the guy selling a PMF3150 and SM3 5 years ago for $600, I'll give them the money, take the thing. They are happy it's gone and I've got a damaged back because I wasn't expecting it to be that heavy when picking it up off the floor...

Sorry to digress. Thing is, that the above methods seem to be the best way of doing business. Am I right?

quentin;96109 wrote:
there are always bad apples in any auction.

I do remember there one incident very well. Someone has a very rare U2 EP. This potential buyer who buys from TM and sells in Ebay plead with the seller to sell to him because he has this missing one to complete his collection.

The best thing about this potential buyer is, he has 2 user ids. He uses his the other for selling so that no one knows of him.

However, it is his pleading technique that I detest.

There are probably only two types of bad apples: those that don't complete the auction (either don't end up buying or selling) or those that mislead when advertising the product for sale.

Other than that its all fair game for the buyer to purchase at the lowest possible price and the seller to obtain the best possible price.

If a seller allows emotion to get in the way of what should be an emotion free, objective process then they are leaving themselves open to all sorts of emotional manipulation by buyers.

The seller of the above U2 EP apparently secured what they felt was a fair price. The buyer at the ebay auction might have kicked themsleves for not checking out trade me. Who knows? But either way the buyers and sellers got what they wanted and since they were willing participants neither could be said to be a bad apple.

Wen will pay. The stuff he buys goes to China for re-sale.

There's almost no point bidding on tube gear or vintage speakers any more. Wen pays huge sums of money for anything that turns up. He's sniped lots of Tannoys and things by getting people to pull the auction and deal with him directly as well. Just doesn't seem to play fair.