Stax Electrostatic Headphones Driver

Ross F;94110 wrote:
Amazingly these failed to attract a bid and the guy is now got a fixed price offer lower than the opening bid - as of last night. Clearly the recession is biting more than we think.

Or people just aren't that interested in Stax phones.

Ernie;94120 wrote:
Meh, I think it's a case of a set of dynamic headphones (Senn, AKG, A-T, Grado etc) + headphone amp are an easier proposition. Stax require you to a*s around with your amp and speaker setup. Probably not a huge deal, but still a psychological barrier...

And results are just as good too.

Ernie, I suspect it also has something to do with what material you listen to. But without A-B side by side comparison is it possible to say "the results are just as good" ? I note that Grado's PS1000 is within $US50 of the Stax in question - but they aren't Stax' most expensive model. A "shoot-out" one day could be interesting - or have we been down that road already? What are the Grado selling for here?

I know what you mean Ross F, two quite different styles of presentation, but not as different as chalk and cheese.

I can't say I've heard a lot of Stax, although someone like Kaka who has owned (and is selling his) Stax and (not selling his) Grado phones, seems to be an indication of where things are at.

I've heard the Senn and AKG electrostatic headphones, or ear speakers as the AKGs are more appropriately described and as impressive as they are, didn't engage me enough to want to own them.

I think that the "results" comment of mine have to be balanced with the "what you can actually live with".

But, it is a preference thing, just as one may say ribbon or beryllium tweeters have better resolution. the million dollar question arises: can ya live with them?

Masochism exists in many forms...

PS1000s: circa $3K.

One of my aussie mates uses Stax extensively on orchestral pieces - their speed and soundstaging are very good for that. And he uses AKG 701 on other material.

My primary listening is blues, so I am after the dynamics of a small group of quality musos interacting with each other. Many of the recordings capture the force of the performance well, and in my opinion the mid-range Stax come up short of well amped good dynamic phones for that listening.

The Stax are very pleasant though, and as ever the source is an important part of the mix.

Ernie;94163 wrote:
PS1000s: circa $3K.

That's more than a grand less than the Stax headphones on today's new prices. Hard to imagine how Stax can compete given the reported quality of the PS1000s. Furthermore, based on the two recent TM sales, to see their values drop like a stone in a few years is a bit gut wrenching.