Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Pioneer A400X

I've found a second review also from NK, HifiWorld, with measurements, 1993 IIRC, & will haul out the scanner & upload both somewhere.

ISTR also seeing 66W/110W & further short-term 200W into 2 ohms, but will need to check! (In lieu/advance of any auction comment;-) :)

OK, here's the original 2 page Oct '93 Hi-Fi World review, with measurements.

NB that they tested 66W/110W into 8 & 4 ohms, although 60W/8ohms is the "official" figure, and also ran a tone-burst test giving 200W into 2 ohms.

These are large files, 200dpi scans suitable for reprinting, a little over 1MB each.

HifI-World_A400x_review_Oct93-01

http://i40.tinypic.com/s4rxog.jpg

HifI-World_A400x_review_Oct93-02

http://i39.tinypic.com/20iat6s.jpg

I hope it's of some interest, & maybe some use!

(The '96 mention was as part of a group test, mainly subjective waffle, with a similiar but smaller test results summary on a rear page, shown half-size below.)

10f5h6e.jpg

Ross

Guest Guest

Thanks Rdm. Very interesting. Have you used the A400 or A400X before? I'm not sure if the article would particularly help my cause, though I stand by my opinion that it is a very good budget amp.

Andrew.

:cool:

sirAndy;92835 wrote:
Thanks Rdm. Very interesting. Have you used the A400 or A400X before? I'm not sure if the article would particularly help my cause, though I stand by my opinion that it is a very good budget amp.

No, I've had a Sony TA-F540E for ~18yrs, which I did have the chance to compare with an original Pioneer A400 shortly after buying, and felt quite happy about at the time.

It's a keeper, I reckon; it presently serves in the kitchen/dining room. :)

28sr3wp.jpg

Ross

sirAndy;92835 wrote:
Thanks Rdm. Very interesting. [ ... ] I'm not sure if the article would particularly help my cause, though I stand by my opinion that it is a very good budget amp.

Sure , although one might (& some would!) selectively quote some positives, standing by one's opinions;~ over to you! ;=}))

RdM;92832 wrote:

(The '96 mention was as part of a group test, mainly subjective waffle, [ ... ]

OK, judge for yourself, and compare with the other. NB differences! :)

HifI-World_A400x_review_Oct96-00

http://i42.tinypic.com/24e3sr8.jpg

RdM

I see there's an A400 on TM as well... Labelled 'GiantKiller' lol

My recollection of the 400 was that it wasn't a patch on the 400x, no where near as good?!

would that be right?

just answered my own question with a google search.... - the memory from the early 90's must be fading!

A quick looks reveals 2 x A-400x's and an A-400 on trademe at the moment... Plus the person who bought my PM-66KI-S has an A-400 that might make it on to trademe soon...

Guest Guest

I've been offered something else through my favorite HiFi store - I decided to help fight the "recession" and support a local business rather than TM. It's nothing too spectacular but I'm gonna make sure I'm happy with it before revealing. I was going to pick it up tomorrow but I've screwed my back over the weekend and can't get around too easily at the moment which is extremely frustrating. Actually the silver version of what I'm looking at resembles the RA-01 - same power output too....

:cool:

Guest Guest
sold!!

Just a totally random comment - yesterday i found what must be the only "brand new" A400x in NZ yesterday - it has been the demo model in Forlongs in Hamilton for about 10 years haha

Now happily running our Blue Diamond floorstanders with active subs....:D

Congrats Andrew! Hope you got close to what you wanted for it. Looking forward to seeing pics and thoughts on your new purchase.

Cheers James.

Guest Guest

PeteG;93214 wrote:
Just a totally random comment - yesterday i found what must be the only "brand new" A400x in NZ yesterday - it has been the demo model in Forlongs in Hamilton for about 10 years haha

Now happily running our Blue Diamond floorstanders with active subs....
:D

Cool!:)

omegaspeedy;93218 wrote:
Congrats Andrew! Hope you got close to what you wanted for it. Looking forward to seeing pics and thoughts on your new purchase.

Cheers James.

Nevermind the pics, James (I will post some, maybe) you can come round sometime and see and hear for yourself.:)

Tristar;92880 wrote:
I see there's an A400 on TM as well... Labelled 'GiantKiller' lol

My recollection of the 400 was that it wasn't a patch on the 400x, no where near as good?!

would that be right?

other way around the 400x wasnt a patch on the original 400

boomtheroom;94835 wrote:

Depends which camp your in I guess.

boomtheroom;94835 wrote:

No, it's not as if Pioneer turned a silk purse into a sows ear with the 400X, it was just different. I have owned both.