Anyone want to own up?

Craig F;92037 wrote:
I'm interested in what a $20k or $50k speaker would look like? Is it to do with the number of drivers, the height of the speakers, the room they're photographed in?

Cheers,

Craig.

Colour?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig F;92037 wrote:
I'm interested in what a $20k or $50k speaker would look like? Is it to do with the number of drivers, the height of the speakers, the room they're photographed in?

Cheers,

Craig.

What about a $300k speaker, like these, er, Von Schweikert VR11's I heard a few years back. That's li'l old 1.9m me propping one of the 350kg monsters up!

19122006017.jpg

Craig F;92037 wrote:

Cheers,

Craig.

I guess it comes down to quality, complexity, and technology. A good example would be the Grand Utopia's, Wilson X? and I would have to say the big Sonus Faber (though complexity factors is lower). They all look like 50k+ speakers to me. Take a look at the adjustment mechanisms on the Grand Utopia and the Wilsons! very nice.

Of course they better sound good too but that is to be expected in a large enough room that was designed around them with accoustic treatments, equally good amplification, front end, cables and power conditioning. I better not forget well cleaned and undamaged ears and the wife and kids out for the night, some top shelf singlemalt, no ice and a lazy boy chair. All you need to finish it off is your favourate CD or vinyl (most is digital now anyway cut onto vinyl so no escape there!!) that hasn't been messed around too much by a studio engineer.

One day in another life maybe?

Ilikecrumpets;92061 wrote:
What about a $300k speaker, like these, er, Von Schweikert VR11's I heard a few years back. That's li'l old 1.9m me propping one of the 350kg monsters up!

19122006017.jpg

Pffft... Those are lightweights.... :P

Similar stature to mine though, those about 7' tall?

Fortunately my speakers are quite easy to disassemble - then the biggest single weight are the frames which are in the 100Kg each vicinity.

Ilikecrumpets;92061 wrote:

Did you get a photo of the back?

All the adjustments on the back really surprised me.

AudioEnz;92055 wrote:
I haven't classed him as a non-hi-fi retailer.

Parmenter uses TM as a very cheap advertising venue. Many non-hi-fi retailers use TM as a very cheap advertising venue. Therefore Parmenter, like many non-hi-fi retailers, uses TM as a very cheap advertising venue.

Quote Audioenz

Parmenter, like many (non-hi-fi) retailers, use TradeMe as a form of very cheap advertising

Sorry Michael but from where I sit you called him a non hi-fi retailer or am I missing the plot somewhere.

Does this mantle also apply then to Feedback Audio, Antipodes, Reference Audio all of whom to me seem to sell very high end hi-fi and without such people we would not have the level of gear in the country to choose from,audition and sometimes drool over.

FF

frequentflyer;92200 wrote:
Quote Audioenz

Parmenter, like many (non-hi-fi) retailers, use TradeMe as a form of very cheap advertising

Sorry Michael but from where I sit you called him a non hi-fi retailer or am I missing the plot somewhere.

FF

I took it the way Mike ENZ (I believe he's a 1st cousin to his more famous relative Split ENZ) said he meant. If he'd said something along the lines of "like many other non-hifi" that would have been a different story. Then I would have taken it as irony on his part.

Which is a slightly rhetorical way of complementing (and complimenting)Nixon's "lexical semantics vs conceptual semantics" point.

:)

nixon76;92206 wrote:
Oh, and if we're talking big money speakers advertised/selling on TM, I'd get these:

Would suit my amps just perrrrrfect. I don't even mind how they look either (usually for me big money speakers are visually challenging as a rule).

New house too... :D

frequentflyer;92200 wrote:
... or am I missing the plot somewhere.

Yes, you are.

I'm not too up on the terminology of grammar, but if you remove the part of the sentence between the commas it still makes perfect sense

ie, "Parmenter use TradeMe as a form of very cheap advertising."

The part of the sentence between the commas ("...like many (non-hi-fi) retailers..." dos not alter this, but instead supplies additional information.

jcooze is correct in that adding the word "other" would give the meaning you think. But nothing in my statement suggested that Parementer was not a hi-fi retailer.

I'm sure there will be some grammar geeks along shortly to supply the correct terminology.

nixon76;92206 wrote:
Oh, and if we're talking big money speakers advertised/selling on TM, I'd get these:

Would suit my amps just perrrrrfect. I don't even mind how they look either (usually for me big money speakers are visually challenging as a rule).

I am sorry, but those are just plain UGLY!!!

nixon76;92206 wrote:

Definately not worth the asking price! 33K for a 12K speaker? WTF! Those Hornings are another story. Very nice looking and I bet sounding. At a reasonable 10K you would get a lot of good speaker for your buck. Oh and those Ravens look great too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Speakers-and-stands/Floor-speakers/auction-219916359.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Speakers-and-stands/Floor-speakers/auction-219914368.htm

AudioEnz;92226 wrote:
Yes, you are.

I'm not too up on the terminology of grammar, but if you remove the part of the sentence between the commas it still makes perfect sense

ie, "Parmenter use
TradeMe as a form of very cheap advertising."

The part of the sentence between the commas ("...like many (non-hi-fi) retailers..." dos not alter this, but instead supplies additional information.

jcooze is correct in that adding the word "other" would give the meaning you think. But nothing in my statement suggested that Parementer was not a hi-fi retailer.

I'm sure there will be some grammar geeks along shortly to supply the correct terminology.

This forum is very educational sometimes.

FF

Quote Audioenz

this is really obvious.

many retailers use TM as cheap advertising [ not a crime] The above statement quite clearly implies the only HiFi dealer to do so is the above mentioned banned from this forum person. This is not true as anybody can ascertain. Many HiFi dealers do this and we all know it. Wrong statement by he who must be obeyed. Relax Mick. You made an erroneous call.

Very biased and inappropriate. tut tut. lets leave it and move on.

frequentflyer;92320 wrote:
I can clearly read the signs of bias,favouritism and prejudice when I see them even if I have lost the plot.

FF

I'm not sure why you think that one - and one only - hi-fi distributor should be allowed to use these forums as his personal advertising vehicle while other members of the hi-fi industry are barred from doing so.

Perhaps you could explain your reasoning.

AudioEnz;92325 wrote:
I'm not sure why you think that one - and one only - hi-fi distributor should be allowed to use these forums as his personal advertising vehicle while other members of the hi-fi industry are barred from doing so.

Perhaps you could explain your reasoning.

I think it's normally referred to as 'guerilla marketing'...:D

Correction... it's viral marketing...:)