Sign in to follow this  
pepperlibido

"NEW" old Dual 1229 T/T - What to Service Please?

I need some advise about what I should do before using a “new†dual 1229. The t/t is still in the original carton and has never been used. It comes without plinth and so I’m building a solid plinth with 6 pieces of 17mm marine hoop pine stacked in lots of 3, glued together and separated with speaker spikes; should be finished soon.

I purchased the 6 different types of grease and oil that are recommended for servicing and have serviced it after first removing the old grease and oil (as much as possible). The idler wheel is in very good condition; the rubber turntable mat is still good and not stuck to the platter. In fact there is a rubber band holding one of the adjustment leavers in place that is still in good condition for its age.. Also the foam rubber used for packing over the top of the platter mat is still in good condition other than a light brown discolouration. The bloke I purchased it from said it had always been stored in a dry cool place and based on the above it’s obvious he was being truthful.

It comes with a sure M44-7 cartridge and stylus. Bearing in mind what I said above about the box being kept in a cool place, would the cartridge still be any good after 40 years or should I replace it? If so anyone up for suggestions as to what I should buy. I would consider an upgrade on the M44-7 in fact I might get an upgrade anyway. Also later would like to upgrade the tone arm but in no hurray for that now.

I’ve replaced the cheap interconnects and will be replacing the rubbish power cord, supplied with the unit, before using it. I have purchased 40ft of Belden #19364 power cord ($136 USD delivered) that is shielded with Aluminum Foil-Polyester Tape to upgrade all my component cables.

Is there anything else that I should check or do please before putting it into use? I’m just concerned that 40 years is a long time for it to be sitting around without any form of maintenance though I can’t imagine any problems, IMO. Now I would like your opinion please.

Gerard

Sounds like you have covered the basic Dual maintenance requirements Gerard.

The main test will be to see if all the auto functions work correctly when you first run it. There will probably be some adjustments to be made which are quiet simple to do.

The Cartridge should be OK. The Shure's do suffer from the cantilever suspension rubber going hard which impacts on performance but its a case of setting it up and listen. It would be nice to have another cart handy for comparison but see what you ears think.

If you see a Shure M91ED with the original or Jico stylus fitted, then this is my pick of retro cart's to suit your TT.

The 1229 is rare and much sort after model from the Dual 1200 series. Nice pickup. Please post some pic's and impressions when your ready to go.

EDGEAUDIO thanks for your reply and I will post photos when finished; bit of a slow worker unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion re the Sure M91ED you have given me another one for thought. I was looking at the various models of the V15.

With regard to the Sure M91ED, what about the M91ED- BJ? I can get one on ebay at the moment for $60 with original stylus, new never been used BIN so it might not last long. Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gerard

EDGEAUDIO thanks for your reply and I will post photos when finished; bit of a slow worker unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion re the Sure M91ED you have given me another one for thought. I was looking at the various models of the V15.

With regard to the Sure M91ED, what about the M91ED- BJ? I can get one on ebay at the moment for $60 with original stylus, new never been used BIN so it might not last long. Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gerard

Shure supplied many TT manufacturers back in their hey day. Normally the dash suffix was destined to a certain model TT. I know the -G suffix was for Gerrard TT's but I don't know what BJ is. Google search didn't help much.

That said, as long as its a standard half inch mount the cartridge spec's should be identicle with a M91-ED. The V15 III or IV are the pick of the bunch but the M91 give them both a run for the money. I've done a side-by-side test. You will pay 200+ for a NOS V15. Another cheaper option is the M95-ED. Its also a nice cart but a bit hard to find NOS.

I too searched Google for info on the -BJ but found nothing much. However, I did a later search and found a site where I was able to download the specs for both models and there appears on face value to be very little difference between them. The -BJ specs included the following :-

"GENERAL: This model is an improved high quality "Hi-Track"stereo phono cartridge mounted in a Miracord pickup head.

The Model M91ED-BJ is designed specifically for MIRACORD Automatic Turntables tracking from .?/4 to 1% grams."

I'm guessing that it should be OK and compared to the cost of the V15 I took the chance and purchased it. Being "new" still packaged is hard to find and the stylus would be worth about $50/60 new so I should get my money back if I decide not to keep it.

BTW, I picked up the 1229 for about $200 and a second hand one pulled out of a hi-fi unit without a plinth (just the board it sat on ) bought $338 on eBay last week so I think I did alright. I'm not flushed with funds so will be most likely making this my main table and move my current one, a Peak STP-69 idler drive, into my bedroom. I tend to spend a fair bit of time in there due to disabilities and listening to music, wherever it may be, helps pass time very quickly - well for me a least. I have to say I'm really looking forward to being able to play 6 LP's at a time on the 1229 without having to get up and change them all the time.

Thanks for your help.

Gerard

-

The current production M44-7 is marketed as a dj cartridge specifically for scratching, but I've never come across anything to suggest it's ever changed over it's life! I'd probably swap it for a new high compliance MM with a nice stylus (2M/ AT150/ whatever).

Yeah Asteriod your correct it is a dj cartridge and I have replaced it with the Sure 91ED BJ as per above (most opinion is that Sure suit the old Duals best however, another opinion is always welcome and your opinion is also noted with thanks). The Sure 91ED is an NOS so there is a bit of a risk in its age with respect to the condition of the rubbers as would also be the case with the M44-7.

The other thing that crossed my mind is the quality of the tone arm cable. Was the quality of the cable back then any good or has quality improved a lot since then? I note the RCA jacks are inferior quality and intend replacing them with gold plated ones.

The spring system of supporting the table is another thing to get the big heave ho and will be replaced with Herbie’s Audio Lab grungebuster balls. The lower levels of the plinth will ultimity sit on Kab Sonic Domes sorbothane anti vibration feet. Sonic domes are available from kabusa.com in 3 densities so it is easy to get a good match.

Interested in options of the tone arm wiring back then including the wiring to the RCA jacks. It is my intention to do as many tweets as I can now otherwise once I assemble it it is most unlikely that I will ever touch it again. Once I move on from a project I don’t like to go back. Just never get around to it, I guess.