Sign in to follow this  
Omegaspeedy

Pioneer A400.........

Now make sure you don't mix this one with the A400X model cough cough!!

I had the 'X' model and thought it was very good. Don't know what planet this dudes on.

He must be very happy with it's performance based on the price he's commanding:D

Guest Callum

omegaspeedy;87306 wrote:
I had the 'X' model and thought it was very good. Don't know what planet this dudes on.

The one where the A400 was widely considered to be the better of the two by a mile? Earth?

My understanding of the 'X' is, it was engineered to sound not bright and harsh like the original. More valve like for those long listening sessions. Thats how I found the 400X. Easy on the ear without any loss of detail resolution or excitment. Bloody good amps for the price and IMO to beat the quality of the sonics you would have to buy a Cambridge Audio 840 for $2500! To me that's super value.

Guest Guest

Callum;87318 wrote:
The one where the A400 was widely considered to be the better of the two by a mile? Earth?

Depends which camp you're in. A400 owners swear theirs is better and A400X owners swear theirs is better - with the exception of some who have owned both. I can't really comment as I have never heard the A400. The phono stage is apparently better in the X model. I had the choice between the two and went for the X as the A400 is slightly older (I knew nothing about them or their reputation until I bought one).

Anyway it sounds good to me for the money and it's getting me by until I can afford something better.

:)

Guest Guest

(Shrug).

All I know is that the A400 must have been f*cking good because the X is very sweet to my ears. I've heard a few different amps, some old some new and, with some exceptions (obviously), I'm quite happy to come home to my humble gear.

Maybe someone should start an entire forum dedicated to A400 vs A400X? (I won't be joining).

Guest Callum

sirAndy;87352 wrote:
All I know is that the A400 must have been
f*cking
good because the X is very sweet to my ears.

Given the A400's reputation and following, you might be right. Like you, though, I'm quite happy not having experienced the difference. I was just pointing out that the person selling their A400 on TM is not barking mad.

Guest Guest

No he's probably not barking mad at all, you're right. It was just amusing the way he came across - almost like the X is a cheap imitation or Chinese knock-off.

All good fun.