Which cassette deck?

Hi All,

I have been wanting to get an entry level cassette deck so that I can play my 80's 12" casingles again. Yes sad but it beats throwing them out and I also thought it would also be good for playing my dad's recorded music also.

I like this one. Seems to be from a seller who knows thier stuff and has been serviced:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=203547596

I also like this one as it will match my receiver and is by the same seller.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=203546408

Any comments on will these be fine and which one of these do you prefer?

I've got an Aiwa AD-F450 that I no longer use, sitting in a box somewhere. Bought about 1994. IIRC it was highly rated in its day as an entry level tape deck, perhaps by What Hi-Fi. I don't want anything for it - I'd rather see go to a good home and have someone enjoy it. Drop me a PM if you're interested. (I better check it's stilll working :) )

As you are wanting it for playback i would go the NAD as its play trim function would come in handy for the various cassingles you have. Recording wise i would probably go the Denon. For under $100 they have a few DRM-800s appearing on trademe now and again. There is/was a Nak CR4 on there as well but for quite a few more dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh very nice. A slightly toned down version of the CT95 Flagship with that Mid Mounted design. There was a 920 as well that was pretty much a CT95. Still a great deck...very lucky. How does Dolby S sound? I have had my share of Decks but never a Dolby S model.

The mid-mount design is clever. When a tape is not playing etc it's "released", so the tape is never left stationary to kink against the head. Dolby B fixed midrange, Dolby C fixed high freq. but pumped. Dolby S fixes bass (and the other 2). There's an adj button for frequency control to fix old tapes. There's the hi-freq extension thing built in (invented in Denmark).

Bias set can be auto or manual. FM pilot filter. Monitor source or tape. Headphone. Anti-vibration case! Taping vinyl with the amp off is really good - no vibrations!

"Protecting Veil" CD produced an identical copy to tape - with man bias set to get last ounce (in a mid-level system). Tape is identical to CD.

I listened to some tapes the other night and thought they would sound inferior to SACD etc.

To my surprise tape has it's own sound (Dolby-S and Dolby-B) - very smooth, relaxed and a considerable lack of "hash"!.

Hi Conan,im not sure what you mean regards cost??? Do you mean dollar value now for your deck?. I have had a few tape decks over the years. I almost brought a Pioneer CT91 in 1990 but ended up grabbing a Nakamichi CR3. Yup..definitely the best,most natural sounding decks i have heard. I upgraded a year later to a CR7 which was stolen some years ago. My current deck is a Technics RS-B965 which was Technics flagship of the earlyish 90s. Also picked up a Sony TC-K715S off trademe for a bit of a play with just recently. Its supposedly a good deck just below the TC-K717ES Flagship of the time.

jonathan;87203 wrote:
Hi there - just wondering what you paid for this? I've got a Sony TC-K511S I was planning on putting up on TradeMe, but unsure of its value - do you have any ideas?

Thanks heaps

Cassette decks dont go for much these days unless its some exotic rare beast like a Nakamichi CR7/Dragon or Tandberg equivalent. I would probably say $20...you would get more for a 3 head machine. I got the 715 for $70 which is good value to me as i still have a large cassette collection.

conan;87202 wrote:
What I meant was, what would one pay for an equiv. deck today ?

eg. Which Nakamichi would one go for and how much would one expect to pay ?

If you are wanting a very good deck then expect to pay perhaps $100 for a good Sony/Pioneer/Denon cassette deck. Even more for a Nakamichi. They have a few 3 head Naks for around the $300 mark but you will of course have to be careful due to the age of them. You pretty much cannot buy a quality 3 head machine anymore.

ARIKIP;87235 wrote:
Cassette decks dont go for much these days unless its some exotic rare beast like a Nakamichi CR7/Dragon or Tandberg equivalent. I would probably say $20...you would get more for a 3 head machine. I got the 715 for $70 which is good value to me as i still have a large cassette collection.

The TC-K511S was/is a three-head machine, but still it's clearl I'll get probably less than 10% of its original purchase price!

jonathan;87243 wrote:
The TC-K511S was/is a three-head machine, but still it's clearl I'll get probably less than 10% of its original purchase price!

Yeah the 511 was the entry level 3 head machine so didnt have the features of those further up the chain. In my opinion for best Japanese model outside of a Nakamichi the Pioneers were the better cassette deck ie CT91,93 and 95.