Sign in to follow this  
AzzA1553552676

Naim Nait 2

We are selling our office amp due to not even having time to set it up since moving office.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=193752924

sounds great, had the cover off the other day and internally it appears in outstanding condition for age.

Perhaps a recap is needed but i doubt it, may have been done already.

if you are local and interested i may be able to drag it home and demo for you before close of auction.

You should open your own auction web site you can set all the rude rules...

hopeman;79662 wrote:
You should open your own auction web site you can set all the rude rules...

Ok and you don't care how much you get for your own gear on trademe?

Asking people to make frequent bids puts you at the top of the hits for the hot auction category. This is valid and is more in line with a true auction where the auctioneer calls the numbers and people indicate themselves accepting the offer.

At the end of the day it's ours to do with as we wish, we have broken no trademe rules (unlike people that bitch and moan in the q&a function). If wanting to get top dollar for our equipment in the current economic climate offends you then perhaps you would like to make a donation so i can avoid these so called 'rude' rules.

Oh and from my experience on trademe under my own personal login the people that moan about such rules don't want to purchase the unit, they just want to moan or prove their own righteousness in a public forum.

And now back on topic.........

Remove someone's bid just because he/she put autobids?

Is it not rude? ---> Right, welcom the autobids, I will bereave it by remove your bids anyway...

Ebay has autobid also, in your mind the bidder in Ebay are not adult? all behavior like kids?

What a shame...

hopeman;79670 wrote:
Remove someone's bid just because he/she put autobids?

Is it not rude? ---> Right, welcom the autobids, I will bereave it by remove your bids anyway...

Ebay has autobid also, in your mind the bidder in Ebay are not adult? all behavior like kids?

What a shame...

No, I removed someones bid because they bid outright $200.

I then removed someones bid who bid 100 (a.) over the last functioning autobid (b.) which then left bidder 1 making 2 bids in a row to the end of his autobid with noone bidding further. as illustrated below.

a.)300 bidder2

b.)200 bidder1

c.)100 bidder1

If i had not removed bid (b.) and the auction had closed bidder1 would have paid 100 more then he should have (and being a legally binding agreement would have had to pay that amount) i was just doing the websites job properly as they haven't set it to properly tidy up autobids when the lead bid is removed. If you had read into my more than polite comments on the auction you might have worked this out, but in the true spirit of trademe, people don't think they just react to a perceived injustice and drive the other sheeple into a frenzy.

This is as far as i will explain, i have no problems with the way i am running this auction, neither does trademe (although i suspect they prefer money to honour) and neither do any "thinking" people that i have explained the methods and reasoning to.

I feel that you speak before you think as you seem to have set in your mind that i have something against autobid, i would like to invite you to firstly, take some english lessons (if this is not your first language) and/or stop skim reading auction descriptions as i state (and i state) "Please respect our decision to list this with no reserve, in the spirit of this being an auction we prefer that you do not go and bid outright a large number. Autobid is fine if you only want to bid once."

As a regular watcher of trademe for Naim items I came across your auction before it was posted here and was put off by the tone of some of your answers as well as the way in which your auction is presented. As a result I made an immediate decision not to participate.

While I understand your desire to manipulate the process (how else would you describe your intention of "doing this to get the most hits while the price is low to get more interest"?), I also understand a prospective buyers desire to outmuscle the competition by placing a bid way higher than the reserve - this is a common practice in auctions and entirely legal. After all an auction is nothing more than a public sale in which the goods are sold to the highest bidder. So while you may be free to run the auction according to your rules I would suggest that the way you have chosen to do so has done you no favours.

Furthermore, your statement in this forum to hopeman that you have been more than polite appears tenuous to me and the fact that you refer to your potential purchasers as 'sheeple' says a lot too. As for the suggestion that hopeman "take some english lessons" i'm tempted to point out the errors in your original trademe post, but that would be contrary to the spirit and rules of this forum.

In case you're curious, Naim do recommend servicing (which would probably include recapping) of their amps and suggest a period of every 8-10 years. The very fact that they offer this service for amps like the Nait 2 is one of the reasons that Naim components hold their value so well. But I guess if you are unable or unwilling to advise on the service history of the amplifier then it would be in your interest to suggest that this is unnecessary. Just as it is in the prospective buyers interest to say that it would be necessary.

As an aside I also find it interesting that none of your other listings have a $1 dollar reserve, rather their starting bids are more in line with the value of the items. Just an observation that's all.

Good luck with the auction.

King Size;79692 wrote:
While I understand your desire to manipulate the process (how else would you describe your intention of "doing this to get the most hits while the price is low to get more interest"?), I also understand a prospective buyers desire to outmuscle the competition by placing a bid way higher than the reserve - this is a common practice in auctions and entirely legal. After all an auction is nothing more than a public sale in which the goods are sold to the highest bidder. So while you may be free to run the auction according to your rules I would suggest that the way you have chosen to do so has done you no favours.

When in business, businesses pay accountants to manipulate the numbers to pay less tax and claim more things as expenses. This is legal and whilst not done by everyone in business to an extent it is still a valid way of making/saving money. This practice of course annoys some people. I understand the buyers desire however this is the sellers auction and the seller doesn't want that to happen. The numbers appear to be against the no favours concept, admittedly a lower than usual s/n but i guess what they say about any publicity being good publicity runs true here.

King Size;79692 wrote:
Furthermore, your statement in this forum to hopeman that you have been more than polite appears tenuous to me and the fact that you refer to your potential purchasers as 'sheeple' says a lot too. As for the suggestion that hopeman "take some english lessons" i'm tempted to point out the errors in your original trademe post, but that would be contrary to the spirit and rules of this forum.

No, I refer to the tyre-kicking-jump-on-the-OMG-he-did-a-bad-thing-i'm-gonna-have-to-leave-an-indignant-comment-on-that-auction-now crowd as sheeple, because like sheep they see someone do it first before getting in on the act. Hopeman appears to be an ESL speaker, i'm just stating facts, harshly perhaps but i am that kind of person. Some of my friends appreciate my brutal honesty, others know not to ask me how they look in a particular dress. Yes for sure there are a couple (the title f'rinstance) which i went to change to find that in the 2 minutes the auction had been up some utter PRAT (the true meaning of the word btw) had skim read the auction and bid $200. Apart from the grammar and my habit or joining words without minus signs and sometimes missing punctuation (at least i don't use txt speek) what other mistakes did you spot? It can't be against the rules if i've asked you now?

King Size;79692 wrote:
In case you're curious, Naim do recommend servicing (which would probably include recapping) of their amps and suggest a period of every 8-10 years. The very fact that they offer this service for amps like the Nait 2 is one of the reasons that Naim components hold their value so well. But I guess if you are unable or unwilling to advise on the service history of the amplifier then it would be in your interest to suggest that this is unnecessary. Just as it is in the prospective buyers interest to say that it would be necessary.

Yeah i still could find no mention of this in the manual for the later model NAIT and it is great that they do offer the service but they are a company dealing with a small market with new products to peddle so much like their sister Linn they will want people to trade-in instead of rebuild, they are a company this is natural but yes they do look after their customers. Naim buyers stay with naim generally and Linn buyers stay with Linn. I truthfully know nothing of the history of this amp, the original owner isn't telling anybody anything about the history mostly because he's dead Jim. I've had the lid off and it looks as clean in there as my 2 year old chinese overclocked ss amp. Going off the internal condition and the sound output I don't think it is necessary and or may have already been done. A high quality amp is less likely to need a service than a mid or low quality amp, I liken this to rich old women dressing up poodles.

King Size;79692 wrote:
As an aside I also find it interesting that none of your other listings have a $1 dollar reserve, rather their starting bids are more in line with the value of the items. Just an observation that's all.

All of our other listings have a fixed cost from our supplier and as we are trying to run a business here, well i'm sure you can guess the rest. I run all of my own interesting items at 0 reserve myself.

King Size;79692 wrote:
Good luck with the auction.

Guest Guest

Good on you for TRYING to give everyone a fair go. Good luck.

That is all.

I think it is reasonable conditions, and a fair enough thing to try, but people will be people, and it doesn't pay to try and tell them what to do. Just going against the grain (even though it is fair) may not help you. Also, IMO people look for better amps in the more expensive part when sorted by price, so being down low possibly wont even help that much. good luck.

I dont find this unreasonable ,if people dont like it they dont have to bid . If the end result is a satisfied vendor and customer good enough.I have seen things on trade me (which they allow to happen) that are just simple rips.Ive paid for goods that I have never received and complainded with the resulting advice that I can take it to smaall claims .Yea Right.

Get over it, its Trademe. People will do as they please. Pretty apparent to anyone who uses TM a bit, as the OP does.

I really can't see how getting any more hits than you would normally is going to increase sales, especially with hi-fi items.

The people that are keen to by the gear will be in there looking already.

Could it be that Azza works in web analytics and the intricate theories of Sheepleism have been applied?

Nice coin of phrase btw Azza.