$1500 Range Floorstanding speakers? Focal 714v, Jamo C407

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Z2, did you try WAR Audio as I suggested in an earlier post? I don't know where you are, but Pat's up in the Scarborough Beach area..............anyhow, it's a bit like Adelaide really as nothing is all that far away in Perth.

Cheers,

Keith

Z2TT,

you have some very good suggestions here to consider...in the end it's up to 3 factors:

1. your budget

2. your taste in music...this is where the 'synergy' of your amp/receiver & chosen speakers and your listening room are an ideal match

3. your ears

Personally, I like to look for a bargain, so I wouldn't hesitate to check out 'good quality' used speakers which when new originally cost a lot more than your $1500.00 budget. There are some very good buys out there from other hi fi lovers who may be 'upgrading' and will sell a decent set of speakers which could fit your budget.

I would recommend placing a "Wanted To Buy" advert here in SNA. You will find these guys very helpful and knowledgeable too.

Give details of what type of speakers you want to "match" to your system/room set up...I think you would, eventually, pick up a very nice set to suit you. Speakers will play a very important part in 'your ideal sound'...be patient...you will get something really nice.

Tha't just my opinion...Good Luck

Vanch...:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 8 year old set of Aaron ATS-5's. Picked them up on ebay with matching centre and dual driver sub for $200 (plus some repair work).

I have to admit Ive had the pleasure of being around good hifi for some time now ( father had b&w 802's plus plus plus) and the sound that these Aarons transmit are nothing short of extrodinary!! Coupled with quality NAD and sony amperage they with walk all over most of the Jamo stuff out there.

HOWEVER! in saying this my brother just listened to the new Aaron ATS-5's and believes something has changed in the design. He believes they sound like crap, to the point he had to ask the salesman if it was a joke or something. Anything paradigm is highly recomended too. All depends on what your ears say really.

• 4 years later...

Friend of mine has a problem with his Aaron ATS-5 tweeters . Sounds ok with normal music , distorts badly with classical music . Others have done a frequency sweep , and seems ok on that . Had tweeters replaced under warranty , still bad with classical music . Anyone else come across that scenario with them . I haven't had anything to do do with it , just looking for other opinions or experiences !

• 3 years later...

I recently bought a pair of Trevor Lees, made in Melb in maybe 1994?  Focal tweeters, rear ported.  Man they’re great, and they were $400!  So, even if budget is $1500, doesn’t mean you have to spend it!  

My other setup has Osborn Epitomes, and I got them second hand off Gumtree for a steal.  There are often speaker bargains out there, especially for floorstanders (where people are downsizing and so on).....