Audeze Owners & Discussion Thread

I am running a v3 APureSound after market cable with mine.

I am waiting for my ALO cable - should be here very soon. If I send it your way for a week or two would you care to share your thoughts on how it compares to the APureSound cable?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting for my ALO cable - should be here very soon. If I send it your way for a week or two would you care to share your thoughts on how it compares to the APureSound cable?

Yes not a problem. Happy to do a review of sorts. But you might want to use it yourself for a bit just to break it in before i receive it. PM me for details.

Yes not a problem. Happy to do a review of sorts. But you might want to use it yourself for a bit just to break it in before i receive it. PM me for details.

I'll definitely be breaking it in! :)

Will PM you when it lands.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - i have just placed an order for the Stefan AudioArt (SAA) Endorphin LCD-2 High-End Headphone Cable. (Also getting the umbilical power lead that SAA make for the Eddie Current Balancing Act headphone amp. Because the Eddie Current is a "two box" amp the boxes are connected using this umbilical power lead). With an advised date of delivery for the 14th July. So hopefully by then you would have well and truly ran your ALO cable in and give me weekend to run my SAA cable in and should be good to review all three cables - APS, ALO & SAA. (All i need would be a Norse Cable and we have ourselves a respectable line up of LCD-2 Cables for review/shootout).

http://stefanaudioart.com/headphone%20cable%20Audez'e%20endor%20se

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/eddiecurrent3/2.html

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered a pair of LCD-2s last week. Hopefully it will arrive around the same time as my new dac and custom Furutechs. Getting giddy with excitement.

Nice one Lord Mike. Stock cable? Considering an after market cable at all at this stage? ;-) What DAC u going for?

Nice one Lord Mike. Stock cable? Considering an after market cable at all at this stage? ;-) What DAC u going for?

Hi jrisles. For now, I'll stick with stock. My main concern was the stiffness/thickness of the stock cabling,

but at the end of a two week evaluation of my friend's LCD-2, I found them to be just fine.

The stefanaudioart cable sounds enticing and will be something to consider once the wife has forgotten

about the recent outlay on audio equipment, lol.

As for DAC, I went with a Weiss DAC202 in the end.

All subjective of course, but the Audeze sound more like speakers and less like headphones than most cans I've heard. They are big & heavy though, so I would understand why one might feel physically closed in, irrespective of the sound.

Their apparent size and weight belie their actual comfort. Well, for my noggin anyway.

On numerous occasions, I've fallen asleep with them on. I find them infinitely more comfortable than my previous SA5000 and GS1000.

As for DAC, I went with a Weiss DAC202 in the end.

Very nice DAC indeed. Ok ... now i am intrigued ... what amplifier are you using. A Weiss202 --> LCD-2 headphones ... one hell of a rig already. Yes i know what you mean by letting the "wounds" heal after a big purchase .. but with a rig of this quality you will want to extract every little bit of musical morsel from a rig of this calibre .. so an after market cable will most certainly be on your xmas wish list.

I have an SPL Phonitor that was purchased in anticipation of either an HD800 or an Edition 8.

But the LCD-2 just hooked me in and put those plans out of whack. I've read of the mismatch

of the Audeze/SPL combo, but it wasn't so apparent to my ears.

Hopefully I can get some new cabling before the release of the Pink Floyd remasters later this year. :-)

I have an SPL Phonitor that was purchased in anticipation of either an HD800 or an Edition 8.

But the LCD-2 just hooked me in and put those plans out of whack. I've read of the mismatch

of the Audeze/SPL combo, but it wasn't so apparent to my ears.

Hopefully I can get some new cabling before the release of the Pink Floyd remasters later this year. :-)

Interesting ... been doing a bit of reading of this device since you have mentioned it as i had never heard of this before. Have you compared this with many other headphone amps? How did you get onto this device? Did you hear this before purchase?

I also notice that most people are using this amp with Ultrasone Edition X headphones ... is this a "German" thing? Given that both the Phonitor and Ultrasone are both German made devices. Or so i believe.

Edited by jrisles

The Phonitor was an impulse purchase whilst on the Hong Kong leg of our honeymoon.

I've always held the opinion that you don't need the internet in Hong Kong as you can

just walk down to the shops and find everything you want.

Anyway, I had no intention of buying any head-fi gear until I spotted the Phonitor at Kingsound (Mongkok).

The design intrigued me first and when mated to an Edition 8, I knew it was flying home with me.

Can't really comment on the 'German' thing remark. The Edition 8 at the time was the new can on the block

and every shop in HK was keen to peddle it to everyone serious about purchasing something.

I compared it to Lehmann and Meier units on the day, they were all good, but the Phonitor's

soundstaging was incredible. The price was unbeatable too, over $1000AUD cheaper there than here.

The Phonitor was an impulse purchase whilst on the Hong Kong leg of our honeymoon.

I've always held the opinion that you don't need the internet in Hong Kong as you can

just walk down to the shops and find everything you want.

Anyway, I had no intention of buying any head-fi gear until I spotted the Phonitor at Kingsound (Mongkok).

The design intrigued me first and when mated to an Edition 8, I knew it was flying home with me.

Can't really comment on the 'German' thing remark. The Edition 8 at the time was the new can on the block

and every shop in HK was keen to peddle it to everyone serious about purchasing something.

I compared it to Lehmann and Meier units on the day, they were all good, but the Phonitor's

soundstaging was incredible. The price was unbeatable too, over $1000AUD cheaper there than here.

I know we are straying a little of topic ... but that is ok with me being the OP of this thread.

Now one other intriguing aspect of your setup is that the Weiss DAC202 has an inbuilt headphone amp. Is this not as good or even better than the Phonitor? I have heard the Weiss DAC 202 as a standalone DAC but not as a headphone amp. But from i have read about this device it is meant to be a pretty good. An extraordinary DAC but not too sure just how good a headphone amp it is.

Is this not as good or even better than the Phonitor? I have heard the Weiss DAC 202 as a standalone DAC but not as a headphone amp.

Yes, I've heard the headphone out is good with the LCD-2 but no comprehensive reviews as to how good

it actually is. Listening to both should make for an interesting night this coming Thursday when I pick up the Weiss.

Either way, in this instance, it's a dilemma between good or better outcomes.

To give the Phonitor as good a chance to keep impressing, I've ordered a custom Furutech XLRs that are

better spec'ed than their $900 Reference II cable. Getting these made to order by krispykables in Sydney.

If in the end I find the Phonitor surplus to the synergy between the Weiss and Aueze, I'll still hang on to it.

The wife has commented on the sound leakage of the LCD-2s so this might be the perfect opportunity

to pick up a pair of Edition 8s later down the road!

Whatever happens, the Phonitor is a keeper just on aesthetics alone!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33112[/ATTACH]

You'd need more than a few moments. In fact a few moments would probably only confuse you the more.

pp312, I take your point! But I'm looking for a particular sound quality and I know it when I hear it. I found it with my speakers and now I'm looking for something similar in headphones.

It looks like a few fellow Victorians have received or are receiving LCD2s, and my request for a listen is still up! There would obviously be some beers or wine of the owner's choice in it..

I visit family who are in glen waverly a few times a week, so I could swing by with the Audeze once i receive them.

In return i wouldnt mind having a listen of your Adams set up if thats okay?

Lord Mike, that sounds like a winner! Very happy to demo the ADAMs. I'd love to get a PM when you receive the LCDs (and are ready to take them off your head)!

Guest Bodhisattva

I just read the PF article & am very impressed. The reviewer regarded the LCD-2's as superior to the famous Stax electrostatic headphones! Hmmm, one day? :) Absolutely gorgeous!