Sign in to follow this  
bugden

Pics of my DIY speakers.

Here are some better pics of my DIY Speakers. Still not finished properly yet but at least they look alright. I will continue to add and tweak things visually and internally until I am satisfied. Special thanks to the members of this site for all the amazing help, Alistair McKenzie who helped with the timber and my wife for not leaving me.

73791=1991-IMG_2696.JPG

73791=1992-IMG_2698.JPG

73791=1993-IMG_2699.JPG

73791=1994-IMG_2701.JPG

73791=1995-IMG_2702.JPG

Good work bugden - are all the drivers wired yet?

Have you swapped between the two mid/bass drivers in two way mode?

Seems to be a lot of volume for them!

So many questions!

They nlook nice the yellow and blue walls in the background look pretty funky also.I noticed the speakers are all equidistant is that a design spec.

looking at the distance between drivers I would assume that you would have to sit a fair way back from them to find the sweet spot where the image and balance falls into place.They look wonderful,well done.

Hopper;73793 wrote:
Good work bugden - are all the drivers wired yet?

Have you swapped between the two mid/bass drivers in two way mode?

Seems to be a lot of volume for them!

So many questions!

Have played with different wiring setups but yet to do in parralel and make custom crossovers.

What do you mean about the swapping of mid/bass driver in two way?

They are very, very bass heavy with out sufficient damping.

Brian Ono;73801 wrote:
They nlook nice the yellow and blue walls in the background look pretty funky also.I noticed the speakers are all equidistant is that a design spec.

Yeah renting is funky times alright :) The cabinets already had shelving in them so thats just the way the speakers fall in to place. Mostly in the centre of their separate compartments.

steven bilbee;73813 wrote:
looking at the distance between drivers I would assume that you would have to sit a fair way back from them to find the sweet spot where the image and balance falls into place.They look wonderful,well done.

Thanks Steven :) I will find out soon enough I guess, assuming I am ever happy enough with the finished product.

Have you contemplated one of the 2 1/2 way type crossovers? Keep the midrange to one driver only?

Just a thought? :)

Wish my joinery skills were up to making speakers! I would remake my Electras into something a little more attractive!

bugden;73857 wrote:
What do you mean about the swapping of mid/bass driver in two way?

If I remember correctly from the other thread you unhooked the large driver temporarily, creating a two way.

So did you try unhooking the mid and reconnecting the bass?

Sorry about the off the wall q's:D

too_tall;73872 wrote:
Have you contemplated one of the 2 1/2 way type crossovers? Keep the midrange to one driver only?

Just a thought?
:)

Wish my joinery skills were up to making speakers! I would remake my Electras into something a little more attractive!

Isn't that what a 3 way crossover does anyways? Split the low mid and high into seperate?

Hopper;73876 wrote:
If I remember correctly from the other thread you unhooked the large driver temporarily, creating a two way.

So did you try unhooking the mid and reconnecting the bass?

Sorry about the off the wall q's:D

Questions are all good man. It shows people are interested :D Yeah I hooked the midrange and high up with the old KEF crossovers and they sounded pretty sweet. I willl try the bass and tweeter tonight and post results. I will also try that compination with the midrange running directly from the binding posts as well so I have a 3 way system but only the low and high running through crossover

bugden;73885 wrote:
Isn't that what a 3 way crossover does anyways? Split the low mid and high into seperate?

The type I was meaning was one which sends bass to both the mid/bass drivers, but midrange to only one. So one is a much higher l/p filter than the other.

Should tidy up imaging and lower distortion a little, so the theory goes :)