Sign in to follow this  
bugden

What internal wiring to use?

I am going through the process of wiring my DIY Speakers but don't know which wiring is best. Any suggestions on brands, gauge, type?

How about using the same speaker cable that connects them to the amp.

Unless it's shite of course.

Then it comes down to practicality.

If you're intending to solder the cable to the speaker terminals then don't use large gauge cables unless you have perfected your soldering technique.

A relatively cheap but good type to use would be the Olex OFC 2mm cable available at many electrical wholesalers or on TM for under $2/m.

cloth_ears;73708 wrote:
How about using the same speaker cable that connects them to the amp.

Unless it's shite of course.

Then it comes down to practicality.

If you're intending to solder the cable to the speaker terminals then don't use large gauge cables unless you have perfected your soldering technique.

A relatively cheap but good type to use would be the Olex OFC 2mm cable available at many electrical wholesalers or on TM for under $2/m.

Thanks mate. I just still don't understand how you can spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on wiring from amplifier to speakers but that the internal wiring can be such a small guage and so cheap and potentially nasty. I know that people say that such short lengths don't really matter but my speakers are 1 metre high and many other high end speakers are a lot taller so does't that blow that thoery to peices? And what if you have short lengths going from your amplifier to speakers??? Still use cheap wiring??? It's all to confusing for a newb like myself :-/

bugden;73787 wrote:
Thanks mate. I just still don't understand how you can spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on wiring from amplifier to speakers but that the internal wiring can be such a small guage and so cheap and potentially nasty. I know that people say that such short lengths don't really matter but my speakers are 1 metre high and many other high end speakers are a lot taller so does't that blow that thoery to peices? And what if you have short lengths going from your amplifier to speakers??? Still use cheap wiring??? It's all to confusing for a newb like myself :-/

I think most massed produced speakers have shite internal wiring for money saving on say the lower to midrange models.

Ive always just used the same as Im useing 'outside'

bugden;73687 wrote:
I am going through the process of wiring my DIY Speakers but don't know which wiring is best. Any suggestions on brands, gauge, type?

Happy to sell you some Nordost 2 or 4 Flat by the meter.

I used some coaxial cable in mine, sounds fine. I wouldn't go too cheap but remember the properties of the cables are likely to have less on an effect than the inaccuracy in the components of the crossover. I would recommend possibly QED silver micro (whatever it's called) good quality but not too expensive for a couple of meters. Cloth ears is pretty right though, if you are using the same as the outside you cant complain.

Another thing to consider is if you will keep the speakers for a long time, and likely to do several upgrades in the mean time. You don't want to have shoddy wiring letting you down when you can just fork out a bit extra for a meter or two of good stuff.

Always play around and see what happens. If you can't hear the difference, don't pay the difference.

It's true, most manufacturers let themselves down on silly things like wiring, so you paying a bit extra gives you that much more satisfaction.

Always play around and see what happens. If you can't hear the difference, don't pay the difference.

Thats good advice. I will look out for some cheaper but decent stuff and do some experimenting I think. The journey continues! It's a smame that speaker companies let them selves down that way.

It's true, most manufacturers let themselves down on silly things like wiring, so you paying a bit extra gives you that much more satisfaction.

I'm guessing you wouldn't need very much. I probably have some offcuts or short roll-ends of DNM Solid Core speaker cable lying about somewhere which you can have. If you PM me with the length you need I will have a look.

jasper;74092 wrote:
I'm guessing you wouldn't need very much. I probably have some offcuts or short roll-ends of DNM Solid Core speaker cable lying about somewhere which you can have. If you PM me with the length you need I will have a look.

Thanks for that! I will need around 4 metres, but it won’t really matter if it is at random sizes. The longest run (from the tweeter to the crossover is just over 1 metre). I will be running in parrallel as well

Cat5e is always pretty good for speaker cable including internal. Just strip the outer sleeve off 3-4 lengths bunch them all together. Separate the ends into stripes (-) and solids (+). Heatshrink the entire length and you have what is considered to be high-end speaker cable.