My budget DIY setup.

Hi just finished some "experiment" subs and am running the first speakers I made (have redone the crossavers since then tho) so not anything super duper is fun to play with and I have learned heaps from them and am part way through collecting the parts for my next build.

Have built a few other stereo setups for friends etc. Mainly for DJ's to play house partys or to practice with so not really audiophile stuff or anywhere near it but it did let me play with a reasonable range of drivers and get a handle on how thinks worked etc.

Attached files 72159=1893-Leftspeakersub.jpg

trying to work out if your speakers have a paint finish, eg: granite or are covered in carpet. interesting project. are you happy with the sound?

my own speaker projects after finishing the frugel horns (full range drivers)

will be active sub with two 8 inche (vifa) drivers and a two way standmount design. I really have no need, or space for more speakers and i am worried that if i like the result too much i might want to keep them.

Hi Pancakes,

That sub with the corner loading must be impressive.

Have you tried facing the port at the corner with a gap between port/cnr. (Tweak the gap width for best loading.)

But the window is in the way & if put on the side wall the sub is not rectangular footprint, right?

That's be a sprayed speckle paint finish on the main spkrs, I take it?

Well done.

They are 12" venon subs from jaycar. Discontinued so basically got a 2 for 1 deal.

Boxes are 200L but minus vent and stuffing I guesstimated 180L.

Yeah I tries to load the driver up a bit but in 1/4 space and the vent aggressivly in 1/8 space. The paint is exterior sealer that is supposed to be thinned down but I didn't. I did a few coats until the MDF stopped drinking it in then alternated a thick coat with router/MDF dust blown into it then a thin coat over and repeated that each time it dried for about 3 days! There is at least 4kg of paint and dust alone. They are pretty heavy. 2 sheets of 30mm MDF each box.

Calculated response is here; http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u207/gibsonbaker/MainsnewboxesSPL.jpg

I was on a bit of a mission to see what I could build for under $1200 all up and I'm over reworking stuff to a budget so am nutting out the details for my next system now. Looking at multiple digital outs with filters to D/A converters, power amps then speakers. All digital XO's should be awesome, I like working out passives but active is the way to go for me now i think.

Pancakes;72280 wrote:

I was on a bit of a mission to see what I could build for under $1200 all up and I'm over reworking stuff to a budget so am nutting out the details for my next system now. Looking at multiple digital outs with filters to D/A converters, power amps then speakers. All digital XO's should be awesome, I like working out passives but active is the way to go for me now i think.

If your going to build a power amp try this site www.poweramplifiers.com.au.

I havnt bought one of these modules yet but they look pretty good if you dont want to build the module from scratch.Im building a power amp but havnt got past the psu yet so Im not quite there yet but they seem to have all the bases covered for sizes and power requirments.

steven bilbee;72315 wrote:
If your going to build a power amp.................

Hey thanks for the link, I've seen a few places on the internet that do kits but it's a bit of money to send to someone you haven't dealt with before. Am looking at the Jaycar kit amps too cos they're a known item at least.

Have the burning desire to make the setup of my dreams, no components in the anologue signal path bar the amp and you can't help that eh. All digital till the D/A converter > Power amp for each speaker > speaker.

Purity.

The amps wouldn't have to be super grunty as there would be 5/ side ideally (5 way speakers I'm planning) just need to cope with a range of impedances and be QUIET! At least -120dB. There are Sachem mono-blocks built on the Shore in AK and the guy claims there is only one capacitor in the signal path. Anyone seen a similar kit out there anywhere?

Pancakes;72337 wrote:
There are Sachem mono-blocks built on the Shore in AK and the guy claims there is only one capacitor in the signal path. Anyone seen a similar kit out there anywhere?

Heh, heh, you'll have to have everything worked out very carefully because there is no speaker protection on them Sachems. They get in the way of the signal... v pure.

Yeah shouldn't get clipping with multiple 200+W amps running ~100W total of speakers / side.

Really want to build all the gear or I'd just save for Perruex (sp?) or Sachem etc.

Clean power, good supplies, basic amps and no passive XO's. Will take time but should be awesome and give me some building blocks that are versatile if I need to tweek.