Why do my new DIY speakers sound so average?

bugden

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James;73243 wrote:
Never saw the Paragons, but I designed and built these at least three years ago.

2949416-md.jpg

There is a familial theme to the look.

James

WOW is right!!! How much a pair??? They are gorgeous! How do they sound?

got tinnitus;73302 wrote:
You need to start dreaming in your sleep a bit more; a solution will then come, just like what happend to the dude from Theophany.

Although you might have to submit to a Baptism or such and set aside some spare time on Sundays.

;)

Owen Y;73304 wrote:
Although you might have to submit to a Baptism or such and set aside some spare time on Sundays.

;)

lets not go down that track again aye boys. I am already a Christian so maybe I will get some devine inspiration and come up with a heavenly creation :) Either which way I am having fun making these speakers and wouldn't have got this far if it wasn't for the helpfullness of members like yourselves. Real impressed by audio folk.

bugden;73280 wrote:
WOW is right!!! How much a pair??? They are gorgeous! How do they sound?

The tallest pair was sold to a friend at a massively discounted price of $5K. I think they sound as good as they look. The other two pairs are not for sale.

That said, I do have two small pairs that I will be offering up for sale as soon as the Danish Oil is fully cured. Here is a prototype in Walnut. LS3/5a frontal proportions but 50% deeper. A more conventional and classical looking standmount.

7061105-lg.jpg

James

Owen Y;73426 wrote:
Hi James,

Always interested in spkr design.... what is the thinking behind these designs?

ie. cabinet concept, driver choice....blah blah

My loudspeaker designs follow three principles; two of which are sonic and the other aesthetic.

First, I subscribe to tight, rhythmic bass. All my designs feature sealed acoustic suspension. These present lower group delay, better transient response, and ultimately a more satisfying groove.

Second, I believe strongly in tonal neutrality. This means a seamless crossover with minimal diffraction, near zero driver offset, carefully matched drivers and tight phase alignment over the crossover regions. This delivers coherence, clarity, texture and timbre in spades.

Third, I like natural materials. This means solid hardwood timber and NZ leather for the cladding. There is still MDF and marine ply underneath for stability, but nothing beats the feel and finish of timber and leather for a timeless look.

Simple, eh?

James ;)