Levon monitors

I know someone with slightly different versions (having a single speaker grill that wraps around and covers both the treble and mid). Haven't heard them running though. They also had a nice solid (Oak I think - def not Rimu) wood construction - but which was starting to warp slightly :eek:

I never heard any of these speakers, but I always had my doubts about a speaker with a tweeter on the front and a mid-bass unit on the side. I just can't see how the drivers would integrate or how you wouldn't have a big hole in the sound in the uper part of the mid driver's output.

"I cannae change the laws of physics, Cap'n"

• 1 year later...

Levon speakers (and later amplifiers) were the brainchild of Steve Robinson who worked for John Tanner, and later The Audiovision Centre in High Street.

He made a few designs, of which the Titan were the smallest. Some pretty large floorstanders as well, all using a rear-firing bass/midrange driver (or 2) and a front mounted tweeter.

An interesting, if idiosyncratic sounding speaker with a resultantly muddy midrange. I liked the Castles better!

Actually Steve must have had a bit to drink the night before trading once and pulled a wall shelf down at the shop - hey presto a pair of new but banged up Castle Isis for my HT system was bought for a song.

Ahh memories, it's an interesting industry this HiFi business :D

the woodwork on these speakers was generally very good

i had the misfortune to take a pair appart once and found two different brand base drivers of poor quality and this theme re occured for a number of years regarding this brand of speaker

the lady who owned them had them only for a year and because of the poor quality components had numerous failures, but she showed me the invoice and boy did she pay a small fortune for them

once again looks sold these speakers to alot of poor unsuspecting punters

i believe that the manufacturer was also prosecuted for fraudulent hire purchase agreements as well, and i think ended up in oz

interesting is right, crumpets!

Yes I remember listening to Levons at the High St shop in the late '80s. I went in to listen to the Castle Harlechs and the saleman ( obviously Steve Robinson...ta Crumpy) was really pushing me towards the Levons. Makes sense when I learnt some time later that he was the manufacturer of them! The drivers were bright purple coloured car audio drivers which I thought was pretty odd as well as being fugly.

I am pretty sure he named the brand after his child though don't quote me.

Michael, I'm surprised you never heard of them. It was about that time, on the basis of your review in Audio Video magazine, that I bought a pair of JBL LX-66 behemoths. GREAT party speaker!

jasper;120316 wrote:
Michael, I'm surprised you never heard of them.

Oh, I heard of them. But I never sat down and listened to the speakers.

• 10 years later...