Deluxe Record Cleaner

Guest Guest

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a run-of-the-mill record cleaning kit.

Mystery spray.

Dodgy stylus brush.

Impregnated cloth (with what ?) that I wouldn't want near my records.

But it's cheap...

Caveat emptor.

My gut reaction is to give it a miss too. No offense meant to the seller - he seems sincere (I guess he would be - he wants to sell the stuff!).

This is why I love this forum - if in doubt, give the forum a shout.:D

Having looked through the website (thanks Owen), there is some very stylish packaging on display.

The record cleaner is probably no worse than the supermarket cleaners recommended by others. Just don't spray directly onto the record and don't apply with the supplied cloth.

Stay away from that stylus brush, which looks like a reject from a makeup bottle. What you want is one with short, tightly packed hairs, like the Last brushes.

I already have a good stylus brush and a good record-cleaning brush. I'm interested in cleaning solutions and cloths though.

I agree - there are some stylish-looking products on the website.

Use by date ?

You can probably still buy brushes, Last is still in business.

I have a couple of spares tucked away.

Apparently the little brushes were made from real human hair ?

:eek:

I've had a blonde, brunette and now have a jet black one.

;)

sirAndy;

If you check the TM seller's other auctions you'll find he is selling various combos of that kit inclduing one with just spray and cloth.

Since nothing else is mentioned in the MSDS it looks as if isopropanol (2-propopanol or isopropyl alcohol) is the only cleaning ingredient. Not good enough - you need an anionic or neutral detergent and a wetting agent as well. Trying to clean with pure alcohol (ethyl or isopropyl) leads to volatility problems - some of the alcohol evaporates during the scrubbing process and re-deposits the gunk that it has just dissolved. I would not use anything that contained more than 50% alcohol.

They also mention Calotherm cloths for vinyl cleaning. These are fine for cleaning and drying your spectacles and CDs, but they are impregnated with an unknown chemical and so I'd never use them on vinyl. Microfibre cloths do the same thing without chemical additives and are better at it.

And since the advent of Magic Eraser products I've never put a wet cleaner and a brush near a stylus.

So all in all I wouldn't touch this cleaning regime with a bargepole.

Newbie;70846 wrote:
Where do you get these products from, Logan?

Sorry to step on Logan's toes but the Magic Eraser products can easily be got from the US. I have several lifetimes supply here ; I got carried away when I ordered ( I had one of my regular dealers send me some)

I also have a very detailed instruction plan from one of the guys in the US who popularised the ME use. Oh , and yes ; the ME products really do work as well as is claimed.

Newbie;70846 wrote:
Where do you get these products from, Logan?

No need to order in from the USA. I've seen Magic Eraser under a variety of trade names in New World, Foodtown, Mitre 10 and Bunnings. A lifetime's supply will cost less than $5.

The particular stuff I have is called Chux Magic Eraser. Use it dry and simply dip the stylus tip onto a thin sliver using your cueing lever. Don't scrape the stylus. Microscopic examination before and sfter will be a revelation.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, my name is Paul, my wife Jane and I market the AM record-cleaning range in New Zealand.

As a bit of an overview and back-ground I’m a huge vinyl-freak, with a fetish for N.Z 70’s Punk 45’s and Disco 12”.

The reason why I began importing AM was because I was unable to find a commercial product on-sale here in Christchurch, and was dissatisfied with the results from isopropal-alcohol and the fact it seemed to dissolve all too easily.

As chance would have it, on a trip to Sydney, I stumbled upon a record-shop (yes, a real record shop!)importing/selling the AM range. They were huge fans & that got me thinking about my own dilemma. On my return and after more research (including using it on my own collection) I then wrote to AM & secured the New Zealand agency.

I can’t remember how many bottles of the stuff I’ve sold – but I do know I have never had one complaint in over four years. I do know we have had heaps of repeat business.

No I don’t know what the ingredients are, but nor do I know what the Coronels ‘secret recipe’ is – but it doesn’t stop you & me eating it!

AM have sold more of this stuff worldwide than any other manufacturer which speaks for itself & at $17 (for a single bottle) including overnight delivery to anywhere in New Zealand the cleaning fluid is well priced in my books.

But I will never please everyone and I guess some people may say ‘x’ is better and that’s totally their prerogative, but that's not what I'm here about.

I'm posting here because It annoys me immensely that semi-anonymous feedback can be placed on this site, from people who have never tried the products in question nor tested them, and use the term ‘dodgy’, or make incorrect assumptions as to the ingredients etc.

They also use the audacious title ‘reviewer’ when they have never actually reviewed the product in question!

If anyone who is looking at purchasing any of our range of record cleaning products, say off Trade Me – please contact me directly, and do not rely on this miss-match of inaccuracies & anecdotes listed here on this forum as any form of credible consumer advice.

You will always get an honest answer to questions, and if I can’t give you an answer AM-Denmark certainly can.

Remember I’m a record collector too.

Regards.

PAUL GILBERT

Bizarre Trading

P.O Box 31-161

Christchurch.

Gilberts (at) ix.net.nz

NZImporter;76033 wrote:
I was unable to find a commercial product on-sale here in Christchurch, and was dissatisfied with the results from isopropal-alcohol and the fact it seemed to dissolve all too easily.

Could you kindly explain how your aversion to isopropyl alcohol (note the spelling - errors such as this diminish your commercial and technical credibility) tallies with your espousal of a product that appears to contain isopropyl alcohol as the only active ingredient?

Then you complain that it seems to dissolve all too easily. Are you aware that one of the functions of a cleaning agent is to dissolve as many unwanted contaminants as possible so that they may be rinsed away?

The thing that isopropyl (and ethyl) alcohol does too quickly is, as I pointed out earlier, evaporate at ambient temperatures. Any gunk that has been dissolved is then re-deposited.

I suggest you re-visit your 4th form (Year 10 ??) science notebooks and re-acquaint yourself with the difference between dissolution and evaporation. Alcohols have their place in the spectrum of LP cleaners and can be efficacious when properly formulated and used. Neat alcohols or concentrated aqueous solutions are emphatically not the answer.

Found this in my PM Inbox

NZImporter wrote:
Hi there Michael Wong,

My name is Paul Gilbert and I'm the N.Z Importer of AM-Denmark record cleaning products.

I am asking you to substantiate the comments you made recently in this open-forum concerning the quality of this range.

The word ‘dodgy’ may be a good reminder, if you are wondering what post this was about.

Regards.

PAUL GILBERT

Bizarre Trading

Yet another pissed-off peddler...

:rolleyes:

My comments were crystal clear to anyone with any real experience of record and stylus cleaning products.

As I'm in a generous mood I'll humour you...

Rewind to my original post

michael w;70791 wrote:
Looks like a run-of-the-mill record cleaning kit.

Mystery spray.

Dodgy stylus brush.

Impregnated cloth (with what ?) that I wouldn't want near my records.

But it's cheap...

Caveat emptor.

Mystery spray

Solved by delving into the manfuacturer's website showed the main ingredient to be the very iso-propyl alcohol that so dissatisfied you.

Dodgy stylus brush

As I said in a later post, looks like a reject from a makeup bottle, quite unsuitable for stylus cleaning.

Here's a pic of what you're hawking

8340d485.jpg

Here's a mascara brush

5853c474.jpg

Not a lot of difference, the coarse screw on the brush is all wrong for delicate stylii and cantilevers, unless you are using a cactus needle.

For reference here's a proper stylus cleaning system that has been proven to work.

Long, fine bristled brush for applying the cleaning solution; short, tightly knapped bristles for removing the loosened material.

5c91863e.jpg

Impregnated cloth

As Logan pointed out, Calotherm is fine for cleaning your glasses but keep unknown chemicals off your vinyl.

Defamatory and libellous ?

Hardly.

Try that on in court and you'll get done for wasting the court's time.

:P

Finally, the use of the "Reviewer" sobriquet does not mean all the writings from said person are reviews.

Owen Y;76055 wrote:
Michael,

I hate it when you use my mascara ....
:)

He's always borrowing mine also.:P

I do think that we are forgetting the other ingredient which must be present in the cleaner as a co-solvent for the 2-hydroxypropanol that is: di-hydromonoxide*. Possibly up to a level of 75%. This has to make the product more valuable, especially as this has been imported all the way from Denmark.

* more commonly known as H2O.

aarond;76088 wrote:
He's always borrowing mine also.
:P

I do think that we are forgetting the other ingredient which must be present in the cleaner as a co-solvent for the 2-hydroxypropanol that is: di-hydromonoxide*..

In the interests of ensuring consumers are aware of the chemicals, especially the potentially deadly dihydrogen monoxide, they are putting on their precious gear you might like to check out the peer-reviewed research at http://www.dhmo.org/

minimoke;76108 wrote:
In the interests of ensuring consumers are aware of the chemicals, especially the potentially deadly dihydrogen monoxide, they are putting on their precious gear you might like to check out the peer-reviewed research at

My God! That's f:eek::eek:king scary! Covert population control?

:eek:

minimoke;76108 wrote:
In the interests of ensuring consumers are aware of the chemicals, especially the potentially deadly dihydrogen monoxide, they are putting on their precious gear you might like to check out the peer-reviewed research at

That is great stuff. It is almost as good as the anthroprogenic global warming theory that claims that the 3% of annual C02 emmissions that man creates causes global warming.

aarond;76088 wrote:

I do think that we are forgetting the other ingredient which must be present in the cleaner as a co-solvent for the 2-hydroxypropanol ....

What is 2-hydroxypropanol? If you think it is the correct chemical name for the material that goes by the common name of isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol, you're wrong. Owen Y quoted one of the two alternative formally correct IUPAC names in an earlier posting to this thread.

Posted in the interests of keeping yet more technical ignorance off the web.