New amplifier

This is a carry on from another thread, just purchased new amp for subs:D:D:D

QSC RSA 3622, beast of a creature subs are JBL W12GTi going into three chamber bandpass, looked at horns, ported, transmission line, for what I need this should work

Room still has floor to be leveled and sound deadening underlay then carpet to go down

68832=1773-Dsc05615.jpg

68832=1774-Dsc05622.jpg

68832=1775-Dsc05617.jpg

68832=1776-Dsc05619.jpg

68832=1777-Dsc05629.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about room envy!!! I need a dedicated room, the one i'm currently in is horrible. Its an open plan set up and i cant stop all the rattles in the room.

I'm a big fan of bandpass subs, but i guess a little biased having 2 myself. Are you building yours from scratch?

Thanks, it's taken a few :rolleyes: years to get to this

Most of the work we've done our selves, the wall paper is Wild Cherry, looks brown in these shots, and you bet I'll build the cabinets myself from scratch.

The room used to be a smoko room with toilet and sink, doors have moved, plumbers shifted the pipes, divider was put up, lots of cable for lights, long runs of heavy commercial cable to biamp speakers, cavity doors (solid) give access to bathroom and kitchen ... all the major amenities have been covered ;) I hope

BIG

Is that the shine of a Pioneer logo I see on the plasma? It's not a top end Kuro is it? :cool:.

The room looks perfect for a projector and full width screen to me :D

What are the specs of the amp? My limited googling doesn't bring anything up.

Sorry no, it's a Pioneer PDP 508XG, I did ask about a projector but was advised against one (I had a Sony years ago, lots of fun) my mains and rears need to be three feet from the walls to work correctly, the 50" is big enough and the clarity with March of the Penguins and a $4- cable is quite impressive.

BIG

Thanks guys

yeah ... not bad for an empty room ;)

Viewing distance is 3.1m to front of couch

Done the projector thing, now trying the plasma thing :cool: may change back in the future

The ICs are going to be interesting, six two channel amps in stereo bar the QSC for the LFE channel, I've got a missmatch of Furukawa, Van Der Hull, Acoustic Harmony and Monster, :confused: I'd like to use all the same ... but what, it's not really a two channel system per say

BIG

Any suggestions on interconnects for amps?

Mains JBL L7 with JC mod

Rotel RB991 for top end

Rotel RB990 for bottom end

Center JBL L1 x2, Soon to be custom built 8x2 4x2 tweeter all L7 drivers

Rotel RB991

Rears JBL L7

Rotel RB980 for top end

Rotel RB980 for bottom end

LFE JBL W12 GTi x2 band pass, to be built

QSC RSA 3266

I've looked for cable to build my own, the best Beldon cable is not available under 1000ft drum in NZ, unbalanced plugs are just bad what ever way you look at them.

Balanced on everything would be so much easier

Cheers

BIG

Nice sized room and setup you have there. I agree with others that it is begging for a projector but that is just my opinion.

Is the ceiling a suspended ceiling? If so, how does it cope with the bass you are potentially going to create?

As for interconnects Kimber Hero are relatively cheap compared to others but if you want to custom make them you will find plenty of "homebrew" cable setups through a little googling.

As for balanced v single ended I'm not sure you will notice a huge difference through HT viewing, but I'm sure someone will disagree with me:D

silvercj

50" plasma is my preference at the moment ... shrug ... lots of people seem to dismiss Rotel amps unless it's a 1080, that's fine :D

Ceiling is suspended, a heap of sound deadening above it and all panels are clipped (via small wire clips) down to reduce movement (although I do expect movement), won't know about rattles until the system is running. A friend had an issue with his and replaced them with ply to liven the room up as well, he's found it worked well in his room.

It's expected to be capable of 115db, my poor ears are more comfortable with about 95db and less.

Thanks for the suggestion on Kimber Hero, looks interesting, will investigate. With "home brew" cables the better quality unbalanced plugs seem soooo expensive eg: Eichmann-bullets

Google has been my friend for some time now :D

The balanced/unbalanced thing is more that the pro gear with balanced IPs use a reasonable cable with XLRs seem far less prone to noise and coloration. Pro gear uses large runs to and from amps (mics/speakers), sure they use massive EQ systems but the result is frighteningly good.

These are my thoughts and I could be proven completely wrong ;)

Cheers

BIG

So on a slightly different note, here are a couple of pics of the lounge system, Luxman reciever is in the shop with a pre-amp fault ... don't go.

This new amplifier is of 2 channel configuration, is advertised as 18watt per channel, has no balance control (should never need one of those anyway) selecting input between DVDR and PC (vis network server stored down stairs) this is via single input so is changed manually:eek: no switch, no buttons, no relays just, plugs.

Anywho up front are JBL Control5s on Sound Creation stands with way too much BluTac, opps with our 8 year old Toshiba rear screen, still going strong.

BIG

Attached files 69843=1823-smDsc05638.jpg 69843=1822-smDsc05639.jpg

So we cut up the old carpet, lay it on floor then unpacked all the toys :D yah whooo ... sorry it's been too long and I feel deprived, you all understand ??

The piece of wood/ply is fresh off the CNC router, this is one of the 12 shelves to be stained black then finished in clear lacquer for the rack

BIG

Attached files 69845=1824-smDsc05640.jpg

Room so far, carpet is on floor and toys are out, rack is being built, cable and plugs for ICs is on order ... what have I missed, braided sleeve is on order to terminate all the speaker cables, 44 banana plugs that have to be reduced, heat shrunk, sleeved and terminated, I'm not looking forward to that one little bit, Neil as an installer you guys have my utmost respect.

Room so far, carpet is on floor and toys are out, rack is being built, cable and plugs for ICs are on order ... what have I missed, braided sleeve is on order to all the ends of the speaker cables, 44 banana plugs that have to be reduced, heat shrunk, braided sleeve fitted then terminated and more heat shrink, I'm not looking forward to that one little bit, Neil as an installer you guys all have my utmost respect.

BIG

69850=1825-smDsc05637.jpg

69850=1826-smDsc05642.jpg

69850=1827-smDsc05644.jpg

69850=1828-smDsc05645.jpg

69850=1829-smDsc05643.jpg

What happened to the original mids on your L7 Mains?. Looking good though. I would be tempted to use the L1s for the rears and an L7 as centre ie 3x L7s up front(perhaps use the remaining L7 for a centre rear(6.1). I replaced my 15kg Polk Lsi5 centre with an L100T and the difference is enormous(so thats 3x L100s across the front). I have all my speakers set to small with a Velodyne 15" picking up the .1. That equipment will look great once rack mounted. Still think a projector would be the go to balance the SPLs that system will produce :)

a poindexter

i hope you dont have neighbours too close

Room is in the back and no immediate neighbours ... except those across the road

ARIKIP here is the complete list of the system and a couple of upgrades to come center and sub cabinets, we'll hang on to the L1s just in case we go to 7.1.

Painted first shelf for the rack this morning, one coat black dye,one coat sanding sealer then satin clear lacquer to finish

Monitor Pioneer PDP805XG

Pre-amp/Processor Rotel RSP966

DVD Rotel RDV1050

LD Pioneer CLD1750

CD Rotel RCD865BX

Power PureAV PF40

Rack custom made with ply shelves and 4 x 20mm threaded rod at 2.0m high, with a heap of washers and nuts to hold it all together so all are adjustable

Speaker cable Proel 8 core

Mains JBL L7 upgraded with Vocal 4” with ported chamber and reworked x-overs

Amps Rotel RB991 top and Rotel RB990 bottom, horizontally bi-amped

Centre currently uses JBL L1s on Sound Creation stands

Future project is for JBL L7 custom with 035TIA tweeter, 2x 704G mids and 2x 708G-1 mid bass

Amp Rotel RB980 bridged

Rears JBL L7

Amps Rotel RB991 top and Rotel RB980 bottom, horizontally bi-amped

Future project to build boxes for subs JBL 2x W12 GTi in 3 chamber bandpass

Valodyne SMS-1

Amp QSC RSA3266

Room lighting is a Lutron GRX3106 with about 25 halogens hanging of it

Remote control Phillips Pronto Pro RU990

Remote IR link is all Xantach

Cheer

BIG