A labour of love

stevo5

About 2 yrs ago I built a pair of rimu floor standers which graced my livng room as my L&R mains for my home theater,however as much as I liked the rounded shape I made them just too dam tall for my system as the pull down screen hit the top of them when deployed.The simple answer is just move them out the way.It didnt work it just wasnt right so I did the next best thing.......built some shorter ones.

Ive always liked the sound from Image speakers so I went with the morel drivers and and the same solid rimu desingn I used last time except much bigger.I wanted the imposing bulk of the Kef 207s look to go with that top end sound that the morels deliver so well.

They are a three way ported design xover at1200hz and 5000khz.

I also wanted a speaker that could hold its own without a sub for music as my velodyne is good for movies but not so great for 2 channel music.

Heres afew pic but they were only taken on my phone so the quality isnt that great.

67524=1716-Photo0021.jpg

67524=1717-Photo0024.jpg

and I'll concur with that ... beautiful

the front panel seems to be full height, have you inlayed the top? Hard to tell from your phone

ya just can't beat the look of solid timer craftsmanship in a cabinet

thankyou for sharing

BIG

Thanks for the kind remarks guys,

Sound wise Im not too sure yet as the other speaker is not yet quite ready,just waiting on the last consignmet of drivers from the states,so they wont be run in till the other is up and running but I have had this one working next to my current speakers,not run in and fair to say it totaly kicks the arse of my old vifa models.

The tweeter is MDT horn loaded morel and straight out of the box sounds good so I have high hopes for the completed set.

The timber is indeed solid 45mm thick, heres a pic of the humble beginings.

Attached files 67612=1718-Photo0005.jpg

Tristar;67546 wrote:
The port at the front appears quite small - do you get a lot of chuffing when it shifts the air?

Hi Tristar,yer the port is only 65mm dia and I havnt had real volume thru yet but if it does chaff I'll just go out to 80mm and retune the port lengnth,thats the good thing about diy Ive given myself a10yr warranty for free labour.

That solid timber & non-rectangular shape must be crisp sounding.

Yes, very nice.

Go DIYers!

PS. I see that you tongued the planks together. Good opportunities for cabinet shaping, using solid timber.

Hi Owen

Yes I love working with solid timber it gives a lot of room to plane,thickness,shape,etc.I must have half of Remuera under my house now [thats where most of my timber comes from]

I am planing a matching centre speaker to with these but first Im going to have a crack at building a gainclone power amp to drive them.

steven bilbee;67627 wrote:
Hi Owen

Yes I love working with solid timber it gives a lot of room to plane,thickness,shape,etc.I must have half of Remuera under my house now [thats where most of my timber comes from]

Great timber, that 100yr old Heart Rimu or such... but watch for stray nails, right?

You could really let loose with exterior shaping, using that solid material.

Gainclone...minimalist & high satisfaction-to-size/cost factor.

Me, my next project involves converting some old Oak Victorian/Edwardian bed-head planks into a tube amp chassis. Stay tuned :D

• 2 weeks later...

They are an inspiration mate! I am building some Rimu speakers now and if they turn out even half as good as those I will be stoked!!! Any tips you could throw my way? Nice work. How long did they take you to build?

bugden;68537 wrote:
They are an inspiration mate! I am building some Rimu speakers now and if they turn out even half as good as those I will be stoked!!! Any tips you could throw my way? Nice work. How long did they take you to build?

Thanks,they took about 15 months but I started them and then got side tracked on other stuff so they sat under the house half built for about 6 months and I would just do little bits too them whenever I got inspired.

Tips? well if you are laminating solid rimu to form a cabinet my tip would be one bit of timber at time and use HEAPS of glue and as many clamps as you can fit.I never had enough clamps.

steven bilbee;68626 wrote:
Thanks,they took about 15 months but I started them and then got side tracked on other stuff so they sat under the house half built for about 6 months and I would just do little bits too them whenever I got inspired.

Tips? well if you are laminating solid rimu to form a cabinet my tip would be one bit of timber at time and use HEAPS of glue and as many clamps as you can fit.I never had enough clamps.

Yeah I can see how you would get sidetracked. I bought the cabinets half made which is great for me as I am no carpenter! I have just finished my second stain on them after hours and hours of sanding and have bought by Kef crossovers but thats all. What did you use for your internal wiring? I am still on the look out for drivers and tweeters

Hi bugden,

For internal wiring I use audioquest spk wire $2.50 per mtr or there abouts.Most people would die a thousand deaths if they saw the wire inside their speakers ,its mostly piss poor spaghetti.

The drivers are all bought from madisound.com [morel] they are great to deal with the only down side is shipping cost and the NZ dollar.Ive paid about $120 US to get 6 drivers here.Tweeters arnt quite so bad its about 20 US for a couple in a small box.I get my screws from them as well as I cant find anyone in NZ who sells black hex socket head self tappers.

steven bilbee;68704 wrote:
Hi bugden,

For internal wiring I use audioquest spk wire $2.50 per mtr or there abouts.Most people would die a thousand deaths if they saw the wire inside their speakers ,its mostly piss poor spaghetti.

The drivers are all bought from madisound.com [morel] they are great to deal with the only down side is shipping cost and the NZ dollar.Ive paid about $120 US to get 6 drivers here.Tweeters arnt quite so bad its about 20 US for a couple in a small box.I get my screws from them as well as I cant find anyone in NZ who sells black hex socket head self tappers.

I have heard that audioquest is the stuff to use! Shipping is a pain in the *** aye man. I would buy so much more on line if it wasn't for the shipping. I am just about to open up my AAD's and get some ideas on wiring. Wish me luck ;) I enjoyed my visit to Madisound. Will go back to them for another wee looksee I think