Sign in to follow this  
Dogman1553552716

Martin Logan Quest

They are pretty old (these are the first generation of this this model, there were two revisions) and very idiosyncratic in their sound.

I wouldn't contemplate a pair unless they were thoroughly checked out and working 110%.

Even then I don't think they are worth $1600+.

michael w;60951 wrote:

Even then I don't think they are worth $1600+.

Really? My understanding was that these were good.

What don't you like about them?

Like most early 'stat/dynamic hybrids, they promised much but delivered little.

These sound like two different speakers in one box.

With the later Quest Z and ReQuest revisions, there was better integration, reduction of the amp killing impedance dip in the 'stat panel (below 2 ohms) and more rigid framework.

I remember a friend trialing a pair of these some years ago. He kept on either setting his amp ( Rotel RB981 ) into protection mode at moderate volumes, or, blowing the protection fuses. Those amps actually are reasonably tough gutsy things, so we deducted that the panel was drawing some considerable current. We then tried them on a Perreaux 2150 I had, which had an unfortunate occurrence driving them at moderate volumes, resulting in no more amp.

Personally, I didnt mind the sound when they were at low volumes - no integration between the panel and bass driver though ( We actually had a Boston acoustics 10" sub there which sounded better running from 200Hz down than using the ML integrated bass drivers )

So in my opinion, their not the easiest of speakers to drive, the sound is ok, but not great ( think small stand mounts with a badly matched sub ) and they can be VERY costly if things go wrong, which they will do over time. I seam to remember something about the panels putting on a fine fireworks display if you overdrive them in a low light situation, which is very damaging to them

I haven't heard this earlier version, but it seems like you have some good advice above. The ML hybrids I listened to were current about 8 - 10 year ago, and I was really impressed.... until I listened to the non- hybrid panel (CLS 2) and by comparison, after that i didn't like the mismatch between the stats and cones of the hybrids. the CLS2's on the other hand do something really magic. Still very difficult to drive, 'fragile' and all the rest ... but magic isn't easy nor cheap. the normal qualifiers "in my system" and"to my tastes" are an understatement in this case though. Unless you love the sound (many do, and many find it too compromised) the hassle factor may not be worth it.

I like to think my horns are as good with speed and transparency as the CLS stats... but in reality they are probably not. I won't find out till i pull out the old CLS panels that i have stowed away and that I just can't part with - to listen side by side.

so, recommendation:

Don't buy them unless you have heard them first, and love them so much you just don't care what you need to do and put up with.

nah, on second thoughts, look for ML CLS's instead. (no , i'm not selling mine) then try to find suitable bass rft, and suitable amps, and a big room to put them in.

(ps ran the CLS's with a 2150b with no problems, but much better SQ with other amps)

IMHO the CLS (original and the last IIz version) have yet to be bettered by Martin Logan.

Thanks for all the advice. They sound like too much hassle for me.

Might go have a listen to those baby Maggies (12's??). Any dealers in Auckland? Anything I need to know about these babies?

Dogman;61028 wrote:

Might go have a listen to those baby Maggies (12's??). Any dealers in Auckland? Anything I need to know about these babies?

There were pair of Magnaplanars at Axent Audio a couple of weeks ago. They were small-ish not sure which model.

MMG's are the babies in the Magnepan range.

Followed by the MG12 and MG1.6.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_comparison

Contact PQ Imports for a list of NZ dealers.

They may not better the best 'stats for sound quality but Magnepan have always produced a more balanced speaker.

Magneplanars have recently undergone some price readjustment in NZ. The MG1.6 now sell for $3299 a pair, which makes them an incredible bargain. The smaller models will also be similarly adjusted in price.

AudioEnz;61064 wrote:
The MG1.6 now sell for $3299 a pair, which makes them an incredible bargain.

What the...? That is an incredible bargain.

How difficult are these to place in a room? Distance from side walls and rear walls?

AudioEnz;61069 wrote:
In my experience, dipole speakers work at their best 1/3rd the way into the room. Second best 1/5th the way into the room.

Bugger. 1/3rd into the room = zero WAF. :(

AudioEnz;61064 wrote:
Magneplanars have recently undergone some price readjustment in NZ. The MG1.6 now sell for $3299 a pair, which makes them an incredible bargain. The smaller models will also be similarly adjusted in price.

Amazing !

These things are an even beter value than before.

Did the bigger models get a price adjustment ?

That sounds almost affordable. Would a Cambridge 740A be able to drive them properly, in a medium sized room?

I've just rebuilt a pair of old SMGs, which are the same as the MMG. They are a very interesting listen. It takes a while to get used to what you are hearing (if you've been listening to regular cone-based transducers forever), but once you do everything becomes perfectly clear. There seems to be so much space in the sound that everything stands out, but doesn't... it's hard to describe. I like 'em.

I've been driving them with a Quad 303 and a Mega 205. Ideally though, they want 100 watts. They are pretty hard to drive and you do notice the lack of headroom. Can't wait to get my Perreaux back and try that on them.

Declannz;61259 wrote:
I've just rebuilt a pair of old SMGs, which are the same as the MMG.

Similar rather than same.

Early SMG's did not use a quasi-ribbon tweeter.

The SMGc (with QR tweeter) has a bit more HF air and is a little more efficient but overall the MMG has the aural advantage.

;)

Thanks Mike. I don't know much about the Maggies really. I thought they used the same design for most of their stuff. They ain't bad speakers really, and not much in them to go wrong, except for that crappy wire they use.

The latest Maggies also use much more durable wiring (my old MG-1b's suffered from broken wire syndrome as well) and they revised the way they fixed the mylar panel to the frame.

Wow, they went for over double the dubious price of $1600 ($3520)!

But more importantly, am I going to waste my time by auditioning the MG1.6's with a Cambridge 740A?

Haven't heard the 1.6 + 740A combination but in 10yrs use of the 1.6's, they require a lot of power and current to sound their best.

I'd say matching them with a 740 may be sub-optimal.