Sign in to follow this  
tigi

Oris Horns!!!!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Speakers-and-stands/Floor-speakers/auction-129612440.htm

I tried for years to find these horns... finally gave up and have spent a year building my own (actually they're Owen's horns)which I will power up for the first time this weekend ...hopefully.

Probably not to everybodys taste, but for those that want their music as close as possible to the real thing....

That'd be Dave Shanks.

You'll see his system on Bert's Oris gallery (IIRC).

Cheers, Owen

PS. Any other Oris users in NZ?

Tigi;53030 wrote:
now Michael... what do you find so funny?

Tardme hyperbole in hyper-drive ?

Tigi;53023 wrote:

Probably not to everybodys taste, but for those that want their music as close as possible to the real thing....

Sorry but IME horns don't get any closer to the real thing than any other type of loudspeaker.

;)

Michael,

okay fair enuff. But to be fair and put it into context , I don't think the hyperbole is in David’s Trademe advert... but perhaps in MY assessment of these speakers.

And of course you are right... horns are just horns, they are not the best speakers in the world, only my favourite speaker in the world... at this time.

My description of them being "closer to the real thing..." is only how I can describe how I perceive them. Their 'presence' and dynamics remind me more of an energised jazz club than anything else I have heard. At the same time their effortless flow of music can be intoxicating.

Of course, in case anyone is under the wrong impression.... I am not a HiFi reviewer, nor expert, nor even a particularly knowledgeable enthusiast. Have never claimed to be. Despite the huge amount of hours I devote to HiFi, it is not my first love nor my primary passion.

But, I have had the privilege of listening to a few very compelling systems, and so I unapologetically will encourage others interested in out of the box solutions, to check these MF's out!

IMO, YMMV yada yada.