Sign in to follow this  
Owen Y

A Renovator's Dream

Spotted a listing in the Home AudioVintage section...

Meridian M2 Active loudspkrs + Control Unit, starting at $12.00 :D

These were v cool back in the 70s & if you've ever heard early Meridian Actives, as I have, they leave a lasting impression.

A bit rough cosmetic condition, sorry, haven't got the link to hand.

Here it is...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Vintage/auction-126295743.htm

Whoa! They're up to $67!

Owen

PS. Am I confused, like farm animals get, or has this forum clock not adjusted for Daylight Saving Time :confused:

It's OK...I was confused about the Forum clock :o

I listed this item on Trademe, (as well as a fairly rough Garrard 301 in the turntable section) and I am watching with amazement as each item has attracted bids over $300. Amazing - they were listed with no reserve as I wanted to clear out a load of stuff accumulated over the years before shifting house in 3 weeks. All I can say is "wow", thank you Trademe!!

I actually paid $20 for the spkrs at an auction house in Whangarei (I don't think anyone knew what they were!) and I rescued the 301 from a rubbish skip outside the same auction house when it had failed to sell there about 6 yrs ago!

I heard these a few years ago at Axent, who had a 2nd hand pair for some reason. Pretty impressive, taut sound as I recall. i hadn't seen active speakers before, and I mistrusted the idea, probably foolishly.

Well done mr or ms sub to rescue them. I would have thought well worth $300, probably even $500. What superb computer speakers they'd make.

You'd think they'd need stands but I think they just sat on the floor as shown.

AudioEnz;51777 wrote:
The Meridian M2's certainly made quite an impression on when I first heard a pair in Hutt Hi-Fi back in the early 1980s.

I think it was the long-defunct Acoustix store in Ponsonby, late 70s. early 80s??

Yes, very "taut" sound.

Well done Sub, anyone who keeps vintage stuff out of the dumpster has my vote ;)

Cheers, Owen

They sold for $660.75!! Amazing. At the end there was a flurry of interest about the control unit (a 101B) as this is also a stand alone preamp. Considering what I paid, I am stoked, and only glad that this vintage gear is going to be looked after.

PS, the Garrard 301 went for $405 - stoked about that too! Over a grand for a $20 outlay.

I seem to recall that the 101B preamp was a v smart unit, like all things Meridian.

Owen