Sign in to follow this  
michaelw

Counterpoint NPS200

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Amplifiers-tuners/auction-113826733.htm

Another potential disaster.

I wonder if the power supply has been repaired ?

From Michael Elliot, designer of the amp;

NPS200 Known Issues

Failed Main Power Supply Capacitors

The eight original-style "Aero-M" electrolytic capacitors mounted on the central power supply circuit board are crap. They cannot handle normal power supply ripple currents well, especially in 50-Hz Mains environment. They overheat and fail, leaking electrolyte paste onto the circuit board and causing the bridge rectifiers to fail.

Solution

Replace them with good-quality parts immediately.

Guest Guest

Yoh,

I Agree Counterpoint pieces of Sh******te wouldn't touch with yours!

Des W

Aww... Des is being a bit harsh.

I bought a Counterpoint hybrid tube/MOSFET amp in the 80s & it was almost as good as my bi-amp pr of Leak Stereo 20s :D

(Model SA-12, SA100? I don't recall... hmmmm, maybe it wasn't that memorable ;)

Owen

:eek:

I'm allergic to hybrids.

Sorry O but I'm with Des.

Like Italian cars, Counterpoints are to be admired from afar, ownership will soon have you tearing your hair out.

A truly masochistic right-of-passage.

:P

He he, I trust that my attempt at humour was not too subtle.

Let's just say that the Counterpoint lasted just a few mths, the 40yr old Leaks I still have ;)

Owen

Guest Guest

Ha!--Michael-I like the conotation with cars-the cursed Counterpoint sort of like the Citroen Big 15 (Riffi movie!) fine execution of an Idea --bad production values I.E Shocking gearbox.

Ah Now, Owen we know you are to much of a gentleman to put down a product--but it was a dicky brand--and Elliot acknowledged that.

He did make a helluva complex Dual Power supplied outboard Phono Stage in the late 80's which I heard at Harold Beverages house in Santa Barbara with the Bev 111's-now that WAS a product of note.

Ancillary gear the Mitch Cotter TT Base FR 12" Arm with B60 EMT TSD 15 MC(Stripped down)/Modejeski Pre and Rappaport Class A Amps-- the Bevs had bass Amps inbuilt.

One of the finest stereo playbacks I've ever heard.

DesW

Hi Des,

I hear that son Rick Beveridge is building or rebuilding Bev panels now.

There is a pr of these panels in Akld. They have early Modjeski tube amps inbuilt, as you would know, but have been an ongoing headache to get running.

Electrostats with a sort of "wave guide" cabinet design, they reportedly sounded magic... for short time, before they went phut.

Unfortunately I wasn't there to hear them, but looking forward to it if I get another chance.

Owen

I remember the big phono stage; model SA-9, often paired with the SA-11 line preamp to form the SA-9/11.

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/Product_Guide.html#SA9

Was Elliot trying to vainly link his preamp to the mighty rear-engined cars from Zuffenhausen ?

:P

Modjeski was in the same boat, producing dodgy gear that often bit owners hard.

I think his Music Reference RM-9 100w stereo tube amp was about the only decent thing he made ?